It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon awaits funds from stimulus package

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Oregon awaits funds from stimulus package

www.gazettetimes.com

“We started out with a lot of talk about timely, targeted and temporary, and a whole lot of talk about infrastructure. And we have ended up with a bill that contains four times as much money for tax cuts as it does for infrastructure and putting people back to work,’’ DeFazio said.

DeFazio chairs the highways and transit subcommittee of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. He said the tax cuts are not going to help rebuild 160,000 bridges in need of repair nationwide, including thousands in Oregon.

The latest version of the stimulus bill cuts about 700,000 jobs nationwide from the version adopted by the House in January, DeFazio said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
DeFazio is one of the Democrats that voted against the "Stimulus" package. I can definitely understand his concerns, as I think most of us don't really have too much faith in the "package"(being over 1,100 pages long!) having any good affects on the economy or country at all.

Seems like the bill is promising so many less jobs than have been lost, even within just the last few weeks alone.

HOW OREGON DELEGATION VOTED HOUSE: Oregon’s House members split 3-2 as the bill passed 246-183.

Voting yes: Earl Blumenauer, D-3rd District; Kurt Schrader, D-5th District; David Wu, D-1st District.

Voting no: Peter DeFazio, D-4th District; Greg Walden, R-2nd District.

SENATE: Oregon’s two senators, Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden, both Democrats, both voted in favor of the bill, which passed 60-38.

I wonder what everyone else's reps/states are saying about the funds coming to them?

www.gazettetimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Here in Michigan...Slash the Budget.

Auto Industry is Hanging on by a Static Electric Connected Thread.

1000's of Bridges here Patched up with Plywood to Keep Concrete from Falling on Passing Motorists. Potholes Turning into Sinkholes.

In my Town They're Shutting Down Every Agency They Can to Funnel Money into Keeping the Roads Passable.

Talk of Shutting Down 4 Prisons Outside of Town and Releasing Prisoners, Like Cali., but, Might Hire a Few Extra Parole Officers to Watch Over Them.

[edit on 2/14/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It is what I was saying in the other thread about the reading of the bill.

This stimulus package wont do a damned thing for our economy, our lost incomes and jobs and it certianly wont do anything to stimulate growth much less maintain and repair infrastructure.

It will only do ONE thing...make the fat cat accounts even fatter so they can dump more of that desperately needed monies overseas instead of keeping it here.

Well...we are now seeing this "Change" and "Yes We Can" promise.

"Change" you wont believe and "Yes We Can" take you down even further.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 14-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Well Said, Well Said, Here, Here!!!
Just Another Way of Bleeding Us Dry...One Generation At a Time.
Like the Egyptians and Their Pyramids...Only Ours Not Real.

Anything That's Created Jobwise Will Be Short and Cheap Labor...All the Money will go Into Paying All the Gov Employees Who Over See it, and Funnel the Money to Who Lobbied Hardest.

USA is Busted/Broke. Right Now All they're doing is playing a Shell Game, Trading Debt Back and Forth. Not That it's Worth Anything Anyway.
Game over.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Here in Michigan...Slash the Budget.

Auto Industry is Hanging on by a Static Electric Connected Thread.

1000's of Bridges here Patched up with Plywood to Keep Concrete from Falling on Passing Motorists. Potholes Turning into Sinkholes.

GEEZ, I cannot believe that sounds so horrible. That is the kinda thing you expect to see in a 3rd World Country. Seriously, I don't think I would even expect to see bridges patched with plywood over in Mexico...

I hope that all of our state reps do something responsible. It sounds like things have simply been neglected.

All this talk about what we will be leaving 'our kids'... It makes me sad to wonder if they will even survive after all is said and done.

Maybe you are right, Game Over.... Depressing to think about.

new topics

top topics

join