It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taser gun's inventor dies at 88

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Taser gun's inventor dies at 88

news.smh.com.au

Cover was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and died on Saturday of pneumonia at a retirement home in Mission Viejo.

Taser guns use electrical shocks to subdue unruly offenders, which supporters say helps reduce violence. Critics, however, have linked the device to a number of deaths.

"Jack was one of the most influential inventors of modern times who affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers, citizens and even criminal suspects," said Rick Smith, CEO and founder of Taser International.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Jack may have affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers... but I wonder if he had any idea when he came up with this legendary invention, that it would be the cause of many deaths and police departments being sued, too.

I kinda think of Einstein being the one to come up with the theories for the massive bomb that killed many...

If we spent as much time and resources finding ways to help people as we do for hurting people, the world would be a much different place.

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The taser was invented as a way to help people. It's purpose is to neutralize people who are a danger to other people without needlessly ending that person's life. It can be used to stop suicide attempts, stop people who are trying to permanently harm or kill others, and apprehend dangerous people before they can escape and almost always do so without taking a life.

The alternative is to shoot those people to death. Does a person deserve to be shot to death for getting into a fist fight, or running from the scene of a robbery?

[edit on 14-2-2009 by mattifikation]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's sad to me to see an inventor die at the time that their invention is being misused. Never to see it's actual benefit established.

Tasers, while effective if used properly, have seen allot of overuse, and general misuse by those who wield them.

Yes, they can subdue a suicidal individual, or those who pose physical threat to others who cannot be subdued otherwise.

Unfortunately, we've seen them used on the elderly, the already subdued, and those who had little reason to be subdued.

What a terrible time to die.

Regulations need to be enforced in their use, there's no question in that. You wouldn't cattle-prod someone you intended to bring in for simple questioning... unfortunately, that's what we're seeing with these tasers.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm sorry for the people whho lost that guy, but nightsticks and rubber bullets hurt a lot more and are less likeley to be blocked by a thick jacket at a distance.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joker_12
I'm sorry for the people whho lost that guy, but nightsticks and rubber bullets hurt a lot more and are less likeley to be blocked by a thick jacket at a distance.

Night sticks and rubber bullets also don't interrupt the heart from beating.

They cause surface wounds. Electrocution can stop the heart.

I should know, considering the numerous occasions I've been electrocuted by accident. Never has a hard impact damaged my cardiovascular system. Electrocutions have.

It takes half an amp to stop the human heart.

As for impacts, rubber bullets and nightsticks cannot compare.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

I should know, considering the numerous occasions I've been electrocuted by accident. Never has a hard impact damaged my cardiovascular system. Electrocutions have.

I have to completely agree with you there... I am in no way some kind of humanitarian. It just seems to me, there are weapons for simply stopping someone. And there are weapons specifically for killing someone.

I think that when excessive force is needed, use what works. A bullet.
The taser has proven recently that it can and does kill people -- even innocents sometimes. Come on, a protester deserves to lose their life??

When it comes to simply stopping behavior, they should use what is proven to NOT kill people.

EDIT: typo

[edit on 15-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Tasers and stun guns generally use less than 3 milliamps to function. That's not nearly enough to stop most people's hearts.

I think that when excessive force is needed, use what works. A bullet.
The taser has proven recently that it can and does kill people -- even innocents sometimes. Come on, a protester deserves to lose their life??

So you're saying that a person trying to fist fight somebody should be shot to death? Somebody threatening suicide should be shot to death? If somebody is resisting arrest, they should be shot to death? Don't come back with "shoot them in the leg" or anything silly like that - it's difficult to hit center mass when affected by adrenalin, let alone a precise aim at a safe spot.

When it comes to simply stopping behavior, they should use what is proven to NOT kill people.

That statement is ridiculous. There's no such thing. The only thing proven NOT to kill people is to not do anything to them at all. EVERYTHING has some risk of killing people. Should the police learn Jedi mind tricks, just in case?

I think you may not have analyzed your position on the matter very well. You have actually just attempted to make the argument that the police should address every situation by either shooting somebody, or doing absolutely nothing.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Originally posted by Joker_12

It takes half an amp to stop the human heart.

As for impacts, rubber bullets and nightsticks cannot compare.

Like I said earlier, stun guns and tasers operate at significantly less amperage than what is necessary to stop the human heart. If people are dying, it's because the taser is being used in an extremely inappropriate circumstance and is compounding other injuries, leading to a fatality. That's an operator issue, and should be addressed as one.

I'm curious to know how you've been electrocuted more than once, and how you continue to post here despite having been killed numerous times by electricity.

Rubber bullets can break the neck, penetrate the skin and damage organs, cause internal bleeding, and cause a person to go into shock. They aren't meant to, but it happens.

Nightsticks... forgive me for stating the obvious, but beating somebody with a stick is far more dangerous than using a device that is specifically designed to administer a shock that is well below the threshold that can stop a person's heart. Also, it requires the officer to be much closer than a taser does.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Thanks Jack!

You have provided countless hours of Fun for our boys in uniform.

Now everyone who quotes the constitution can experience the joy of torture.

Thanks Jack!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Thanks Jack!

You have provided countless hours of Fun for our boys in uniform.

Now everyone who quotes the constitution can experience the joy of torture.

Thanks Jack!

Once again, you're grossly misplacing the blame. Neither the taser nor its inventor is at fault for tasers being misused. It's the individual piece of crap cops who are either poorly trained or just sick in the . who should carry the full blame for that.

Think of it like this: If you stab some guy with a fork, the people who made the fork are not to blame.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This guy will be rolling over in his grave when his invention is used as a major tool in the future, to mold our glorious military industrial complex.

Thanks dude! Good intentions I'm sure, but in the wrong hands.......

new topics

top topics

join