It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Download Festival May use NFC- Wristbands For Payment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Download Festival May use NFC- Wristbands For Payment

Visitors to this year's Download festival may not need to worry about having wallets stolen/dropped/lost and trampled on in a mosh pit, provided plans for cashless wristbands go through.

Promoters are currently considering issuing the device (which we're going to assume uses NFC (Near Feild Communications Wristband) to festival goers to encourage them not to carry cash, allowing purchases of food and drink with a simple flick of the wrist.

It can be topped up online (or apparently you can get your mum to do it from home, just make sure you don't ask too loudly) and there's even the possibility that a wristband could be programmed to differentiate between food and drink payments, so you don't end up spending your last few quid on a beer if you haven't eaten for 24 hours.
We think it'd a great idea, but apparently the water will be tested on fans forums before it gets the green light and there's no information on how much this thing would cost, or whether it would be covered in the festival fee. - Paul Lester

Besides what’s clearly wrong here what else do you see in this picture?

How about the glaringly obvious it’s going to differentiate between food and drink - in other words control how you spend your cash.

From there?

Well, what's the difference between stealing a wallet or a wrist band?

Once this glitch sinks in to the numb heads who want to use this process they'll be lining up like lemmings to get the number!

(I also believe as some others here on ATS the *mark* will not be a RFID chip but an invisible bar code type stamp/tattoo on your arm)

peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
source

Mobile telecoms firm O2 is launching a trial of near field communications (NFC) technology at a music festival later this month that will see select guests given a crystal-studded wristband embedded with the contactless technology.

"The potential benefits of NFC technology to music festivals are enormous," says Amanda Jennings, head of sponsorship and interactive partnerships, O2 UK. "Not only in regard to mobile ticketing but also in terms of saving money through administration, and potentially even the end of cash at festivals."

And the end to going to festivals, concerts, etc, without one.

And after this is a success?

Get ready to choose your fashion statement wrist band for heading off to the supermarket, the dentist, a movie and night out, your child's daycare to make sure it matches the wristband of your child before you can take your child home, and on and on and on.

peace

[edit on 14-2-2009 by silo13]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
As a patron of many a music festival, i understand exactly why this could be a good idea for organisers, but it does scare me a little and think there would be more than a few artists who might not aprreciate this move either. The thing is now you have to purchase tickets at festivals to be able to buy drinks, there is no other option available. Would there be an option to not use chipped wristbands once implemented?, i doubt it. Are the punters and artist alike going to voice any opposition against this? i seriously doubt that too. Would i not go to a festival with this type of payment system? Im not sure yet.
Great find, i definatly will keep an eye out for this.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Are the punters and artist alike going to voice any opposition against this?

I'm going to find the names on the roster of performers and check out what their political stands are if I can.
Would be interesting to now if any of them would bother to protect this moneyless system...

peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This year it is Slipknot, The prodigy, Korn, Motley Crue, Dragonforce, Pendulum to name a few. I think these artists should at least be made aware of it as with their busy schedules its probably something that never comes up.

new topics

top topics

join