It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of guns U.S. sent to Afghanistan are missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

edition.cnn.com

The U.S. military failed to "maintain complete inventory records for an estimated 87,000 weapons -- or about 36 percent -- of the 242,000 weapons that the United States procured and shipped to Afghanistan from December 2004 through June 2008," a U.S. Government Accountability Office report states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-2-2009 by majestictwo]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Just how is it that you can lose stuff like this. Do we assume they have ended up in the wrong hands. Will these wepons end up fireing bullets in our direction.

Anoter snip says it all......

""What if we had to tell families [of U.S. soldiers] not only why we are in Afghanistan but why their son or daughter died at the hands of an insurgent using a weapon purchased by the United States taxpayers?"

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
same thing happened in Iraq - except it was shown a general was selling them

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
It’s a very basic rule "don’t let them take your gun" This doesn’t give poor public "Joe" much confidence. We need to start getting things right.

Snip

GAO inspectors visited Afghanistan last August and found a worrying failure to conduct basic checks by US forces on the ground. "Lapses in accountability occurred throughout the supply chain," the report said. "This was primarily due to a lack of clear direction from [Department of] Defence and staffing shortages."

News 24 link

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Bumping Bumping Bumping
Well I guess nobody thinks its important then, lets all go back to “I think I saw an alien sitting in my bath tub” thread. Okay I’m sorry sarcasm is off. I suppose it was a silly breaking news story !

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If they're M-4s, I wouldn't worry. Without a manual written in their native language, they won't know how to make the darn thing shoot again once it starts jamming.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by username371

If they're M-4s, I wouldn't worry. Without a manual written in their native language, they won't know how to make the darn thing shoot again once it starts jamming.

Don't worry???

Do you think Afghan freedom fighters are just stupid goat herders.
Don't forget, some of them were trained by the CIA, and are college trained in the good ole US of A.

top topics

join