It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographers snap into action over new law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Photographers snap into action over new law

www.nuj.org.uk

Photojournalist and NUJ member Marc Vallée said: “The plan is simple, turn up with your camera and exercise your democratic right to take a photograph in a public place.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bjp-online.com
www.facebook.com

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The law that has got photographers up in arms , is a clause in counter terrorism act 2008 , which from feburary 16th 2009 will criminalise : " anyone who 'elicits or attempts to elicit information about (members of armed forces) [ INCLUDING PHOTOGRAPHY OF POLICE OFFICERS ] ... which is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'"

this law is an open ended , and vagugley defined ASS - open to rampant abuse , while providing no real protection against terrorist inteligence gathering

the issue is - how do you know a priori that a given individual is ACTUALLY gathering intelligence for a planned act of terrorism ?

short answer is : its impossible .Unless the poloice are to be granted psychic powers too
, thus ANYONE is at risk of unwarranted stop and arrest , however innocent thier photgraphy .

the NUJ / BJP ` event ` is not a rally or protest in the conventional sense , merely a invitation to engage in a lawfull activity , in the company of like minded individuals

www.nuj.org.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I was about to post this but searched first, let's hope this gets attention as it's an IMPORTANT story and seeing as there's only a day to go support is needed.

If I was in the UK I would be there.

I wonder what will come of this and how many arrests there will be?

Well done.

[edit on 14/2/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I was about to post this but searched first, let's hope this gets attention as it's an IMPORTANT story and seeing as there's only a day to go support is needed.

If I was in the UK I would be there.

I wonder what will come of this and how many arrests there will be?

Well done.

[edit on 14/2/2009 by nerbot]

You really think the police would be stupid enough to even attempt an arrest with all those cameras around?

There again, I wouldn't put it past them to try a bit of the usual confrontational stuff, so they can make an arrest under a public order edict when somebody dares to answer them back.

This whole issue of "terrorism" is being woven into absolutely everything these days, without any real justification whatsoever or evidence to back up the reasoning behind it. We went through decades of IRA bombings without any of this BS, I'm sure we can all manage without it now.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I hope someone challenges this law. It's obviously unconstitutional. I don't want America to get as bad as the UK is when it comes to rights. This is ridiculous. We should all get cameras, it's some of our best protection I think.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Good response to the law. There has been few threads about this law already and I have said that I would challenge it myself if I were a brit. Dont let the big bro scare you guys!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This law is absolutely ridiculous.
How could taking a photo of a cop, be constituted as committing an act of terrorism?
That is absolutely stupid.
When I went to England, I got my photo taken next to one of those cops with the funny hats.
So this now is going to be illegal?
Do I have to burn the photo?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
When will this hysteria over terrorism end? People need to wake up and see that terrorism is a microscopic problem on a par with bee stings and lightning strikes. An everyday thing like car crashes pose a threat literally a thousand times greater to each of us than is posed by terrorism.

People are idiots brainwashed by the gover-media.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
appologies for abandoning my thread , but real life issues intervened and my computer time was serverley curtailed

but i can report that the event went ahead without incident , and even made the national news

but as stated in the BBC nes clip , this is now law and despite a formal statement by the ACPO [ association of cheif police officers ] it IS open to rampant abuse .

only time will tell how much abuse it will suffer , but i for one expect it to be abused , as i and associates have suffered ` creative ` abuses of prior legislations , and the more laws we have witrh such open ended clauses - the more room for abuse - as an officer who WANTS to arrest you now has a bigger list of laws he can ` make fit `

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
It becomes apparently ironic that we are being terrorized by police!

Having cameras as we all know, is a way we can expose this abuse which runs rampant even with cameras.

Imagine now if all those lights are out?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Flag & Stars!

Maybe get a micro-camera, like a hidden button-cam, cop won't know!
Or a HUGE telephoto lens, and stay way back in the distance.

Great update, ape.

Perhaps the cops are starting to realize how rediculous the laws are becoming, and don't wanna enforce all of them anymore...

NAAHHHH

But don't blame me, I'm not the ignorant_ape!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
But it's ok for them to video/photo you at any time they so choose...

This really is another step towards all that we have been discussing.

I've been doing photography since i was 8 years old and i'll damned if i'm going to stop.

People taking photos of incidents have been shown to be able to provide damning evidence in certain crimes...now photography itself is a crime (almost)

Well, stuff that.. I will continue to take pictures that show what TPTB are up to.. I will continue to help expose BB and all tat it is doing.

see here; Big Brothers new spies, lies and scams

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Just a theory. kind of a joke, or not. But the UK is going to be the test ground for NWO protatcal . First take away means of resistance by removing guns from the masses. Then take away the procedure of reporting wrong doings by Authority figures. Dont be surprised if the 2112 Olympics turn into a reason for some sort of martial law , as their will be some sort of advanced terrorist threats that will be addressed with Martial law for your own good. You guys have more cameras on you than anywhere in the planet , they taking guns and now this . Why else are these things being implemented , be careful over there M8s.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
follow up my prev post, (im tired) ask yourself why its wrong to photograph police , and not buildings or other public targets that would BE targets of terrorist.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Bloody hell!
Didn't realise this law was coming in so soon.

In fact, I might go out today and take some photos of the police.
If I get round to it I'll let you all know the outcome!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
good luck m8. I think you'll be ok as these laws will be probably slowly implemented

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

as someone that takes loads of pictures
as a hobby screw this Law as i will still be taking pictures where ever i go
have pics from wales all the way to york

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
this will likely become the new (ASBO) sport - see how many of the fine British constabulary you can take pics of before getting your collar felt... no doubt read about it on thefuzzgallery.com (domain available if anyones interested)

berth

[edit on 17-2-2009 by badBERTHA]

new topics

top topics

join