It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Almost Had A Break-In

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It is bad here. I almost had one out here in Casa Grande last week.
I was up watching tv, and my dog was growling . I looked out the window but did not see anything where I was sitting.

Anyway , the next morning, my neighbor came over and told me there was a guy with a gun on my front porch, hispanic, and looked very high pacing.
Her husband pulled out his gun and told him to get off my property. He took off.
A week before I caught someone looking in my bedroom window.

I told her next time to call the cops. It is getting pretty scary. There are break ins every day here now in this town . They are also getting more violent.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I lived in Phoenix for two years. LOVE LOVE LOVE the desert. Hate the city. We had our cars broken into three times in two years.

From Glendale to Tempe. I worked in Tempe.

Teh amount of car break-ins and theft is unbelieveable.

And we live outside of DC and BAltimore!

I even told the caps that. I come from one of the highest crime areas on teh country and never had that much trouble, They said they hear that a lot.

one of my theories is that since AZ is an open carry state, everyone knows everyone is packing. (you have no idea how weird that is for us, considering in my state, people can't even openly admit they own a gun)
If you see a gun, you duck and cover cuz it means a drug or police shootout.

anywhooo

so since everyone carries, most of the crimes are property crimes, because even grandma is packing heat. so they tend to keep crimes to property crimes, because a van can't shoot you.

But that sort of thing happens here a lot too. People break into vehicles because tools have a high resale value.

So that doesn't surprise me.

As terrible as this sounds, a phoenix cop told us once that if your gonna shoot someone, make sure you kill them. There tends to be a lot less court and paperwork.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I hear you, I had a car stolen one week after I bought it. Did not even have plates yet to give a plate number. Same week, someone busted the window out of my other car.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i didnt realize it before but in EVERY link i posted on page one and both members who live in AZ who posted about property crimes the suspects were hispanic.
i'd like to ask members from arizona if this is the norm there, or if this is just coincidence?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

The norm unfortunately.

In fact, when our car was broken into the third time, and more stuff was stolen. The cops told me to go to Guadalupe and check the pawn shops.

The first time we found out who did it, it was a hispanic guy living 25 feet from the parking lot. A friend recongized him pandering my radio.

idiot.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't know whats going on in AZ with the kidnappings and all but the crime rate alone there is scary enough to make me move if I lived there...

You did good and did your American duty by protecting your interests with the right to bear arms.

Well done my friend...Only recommendation would be to call the police...not that I'm a fan of the police but when it comes to criminals- you should give them a buzz as well...

Although going all Punisher on them would make you feel pretty good...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
this is why we cant alow gun control bills to pass. these thugs think they rule the world but when they try and rob you and you shove a cannon in their faces they run with their tails behind their legs. without a weapon you wouldve been jumped and beaten to pulp. this is what the 2nd ammendmet is for. good work priebe

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It is the norm. When my car was found a month later it was on a border town near Nougales. It sucked, my bran new car now had 30,000 miles on it, was trashed, the insurance replaced some things and not others. I ended up trading it in with a loss, as it had a lot of mechanical problems one after another after that too.

There is an illegal alien that is wanted in the town I live that has been raping kids both boys and girls and still has not been caught. It all makes me sick.
I can not let my daughter go out in the front yard and play.

I wish I could move, but can not sell my house, my husbands job is not doing transfers rite now to anywhere. To move to a nice part of town and rent would cost double my mortgage and we are just stuck where we are.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81

wow that killswitch sounds pretty nifty. it's not my van so i'm not sure if it's equipped with something like that, but i know that it has GPS installed so if they took the whole van they would've been tracked down. I was more worried about my buddy's tools because most of it are his own personal tools.

a kill switch is very easy to rig up on the average car.

its just a bit of wire from the coil to a switch thats hidden in the car, then earths onto the body.

it prevents any power being delivered to the spark plugs so your car will just crank over till the battery is flat and never allow the engine to fire

total cost of about $2.50

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Some cars have a kill switch incase you are in a accident and in many cases it has a red button on it that can be pulled out to disable the car.

These are sometimes known as a fuel safety switch or Inertia Switch.

These can in some cases be used as a kill switch.

Other times a kill switch can be wired inline with this switch doing the same thing.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Glad you're okay, and I commend your quick action. It seems wherever you have an influx of illegals the crime rate soars. We've had a number of break-ins where I live that coincides with the increasing numbers of Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, etc.

They definitely aren't the cream of the immigration crop, they're the law breakers and outcasts from their own countries. People that hire them should be jailed and their businesses confiscated. If they had no jobs, they'd leave.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
I can hear the jibes from the 4 friends from here......."he beat us this time, next time we gunna take some guns of our own and teach that !@#$% a lesson".

Unfortunately this is how the crims think as i've gone through a similar scenario myself years ago.
That's the sort of fear mongering that emasculates men, and empowers criminals.

Criminals, gangs, terrorists, pimps and the like operate through intimidation and fear of reprisal. Whoever blinks first is submissive.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
It is bad here. I almost had one out here in Casa Grande last week.
I was up watching tv, and my dog was growling . I looked out the window but did not see anything where I was sitting.

Anyway , the next morning, my neighbor came over and told me there was a guy with a gun on my front porch, hispanic, and looked very high pacing.
Her husband pulled out his gun and told him to get off my property. He took off.
A week before I caught someone looking in my bedroom window.

I told her next time to call the cops. It is getting pretty scary. There are break ins every day here now in this town . They are also getting more violent.

I'm guessing your bedroom must be on the ground floor for someone to be looking through the window?

You could grow a variety of Pyracanthaunder/around ground floor windows as the plant grows vicious porcupine quill-like throrns and would make a good bio-alternative to razor wire

Failing that, if you can spot the footprints of where they were stood as they were looking in, a paintball landmine or two...or even a couple of .22 bullet toe-poppers buried in the ground around that spot under the window sill would make a good deterrent

[edit on 21-2-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Good going.

I may suggest that if there is a next time think of cover. Just open the door and take aim then tell them to run like hell if they like life.

Learn to shoot with both hands so your body is hidden if you have to poke your head around a corner in either direction.

I tood a tactical shooting course for my AZ concealed carry card. I was fortunate to have a dilligent instructor and not just a pencil pusher to sign my training.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I live Casa Grande too for 35 years now and the Police Dpt. has a program where u can register your cars to stop theft. It kind of goes like this...
Register your vehicle...
Confirm u don't drive your car between the hours of say...
10:00 pm thru 6:00am.
If the cops spot your vehicle out after these times automaticly the car gets pulled over and checked. The only thing is this only would work if your sure you don't use you car between these hours. For more accurate info call the P.D. and ask if they still have this program.

Originally posted by amatrine
It is the norm. When my car was found a month later it was on a border town near Nougales. It sucked, my bran new car now had 30,000 miles on it, was trashed, the insurance replaced some things and not others. I ended up trading it in with a loss, as it had a lot of mechanical problems one after another after that too.

There is an illegal alien that is wanted in the town I live that has been raping kids both boys and girls and still has not been caught. It all makes me sick.
I can not let my daughter go out in the front yard and play.

I wish I could move, but can not sell my house, my husbands job is not doing transfers rite now to anywhere. To move to a nice part of town and rent would cost double my mortgage and we are just stuck where we are.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hmm. I know this is an old thread, but somebody bumped it and I'd never seen it before. Please forgive the lateness of my thoughts on the matter.

No offense, but that was a very bad idea. I'm surprised nobody else has brought this up, but insurance can do two things: It can replace the contents of your van, or it can help your family pay for your funeral. Chances are that option 1 is usually the better choice. Not every thug runs when you come out with a gun. Sometimes they'll shoot back, and if it was four on one you'd probably die.

The mallet would have compromised your shooting ability by limiting you to one-handed shooting. The fact that you felt the need to have the mallet leads me to believe you would have faltered at the moment of truth, and allowed yourself to become the one being shot at if those kids had been armed. Why else would you pick up the mallet, if not because your brain was uncertain about using the gun?

If you're ever in an armed confrontation again, I suggest sticking to things that go boom. I'm curious if you've ever had proper firearms training before. Once again, your choice of picking up the mallet makes me doubt that you have.

Your judgment in not opening fire unnecessarily with neighbors' houses nearby should be commended, as well as your bravery. It's just that I think the people who care about you would rather have you alive and missing some tools from your friend's van than have you be brave, dead, and probably still missing the tools from the van.

Now... that being said! If they'd been breaking into your house, that would be a different story. If that were the case, you still don't run after them with a gun and a mallet like a crazy person though. If they're breaking into your house, you use the gun in the manner it was intended to defend your life. No mallet + No warning + No mercy = No Problem. And try not to live in a state that has a problem with that formula (I'm not familiar with Arizona's gun laws...)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Just a word of warning - be careful with a kill switch - get it installed by a professional. Modern cars are packed with electronics that can get easily fried (most cars here have satelite tracking installed anyway - to keep our insanely high insurance premiums down).

Here in SA we are basically taught that if we see a burglary or are hijacked, we keep our heads down don't make sudden movements, and never EVER look at their faces. So many people have died because they thought their car was worth more than their lives.

A possession is replacable - a life taken is gone for forever.

Our government has made it so hard to purchase or even own a firearm that most people have simply handed their legal weapons in. The problem, is that the criminals are well armed (sometimes with automatic rifles that sell for less than $100 on the black market) so they are quite bold.

Most people consider themselves lucky to survive a hijacking or a burglary (a burglary is worse because they sometimes decide to torture and rape).

If you come to South Africa you will notice that every house has a fence, spikes and electric fencing. Every window has bars, and every door has a security gate.

It's ridiculous ... hope the same doesn't happen to you in the US, because one of the first things I noticed when I was there was the lack of all the fences and gates as well as the children happily playing in the streets.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by deltaalphanovember]
edited for clarity, commas and salad.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Just be carefull when it comes to Guns. "protecting your property" is one thing but protecting someone else's property outside your house is something else.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Nothin' freaky about auto burglars...in my city they're a dime a dozen.

Perhaps your roommate is engaged in a Black-Op project involving high-tech air conditioning technology

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
You guys should really look into this new Anti-Theft System.

May god help them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join