posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:34 PM
MADRID, Spain -- Suspected terrorists, linked to the March 11 commuter train bombings and who blew themselves up in a police raid earlier this month,
left behind a videotape threatening more attacks against Spain because of its plans to send more troops to Afghanistan, the interior ministry said
News of the threats came as officials said investigators had arrested three more suspects in the train bombings, bringing the total in custody to
The badly damaged videotape was found in the rubble of a Madrid apartment where seven suspects in the bombings blew themselves up April 3 as police
moved in to arrest them.
In two previously unintelligible sentences on the tape that have now been deciphered, three men claim responsibility for the train bombings in the
name of al-Qaida and threaten more bloodshed unless Spain withdraws its troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.
"We will treat you brutally. We will kill you. We will bring war to your homes, and you will not be able to sleep at night," one of the men says in
Arabic, according to the interior ministry.
Incoming Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, elected days after the train bombings, has pledged to withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq. But he
intends to double to 250 the number of Spanish soldiers in Afghanistan.
Spain has focused its investigations into the train bombings on the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group, which is tied to al-Qaida.
Many of us are so focused only on Iraq that Afghanistan isn't even on our minds anymore. Things are heating up there though.
There was a bomb set off near a military base there on Wednesday and they say 650 people have been killed since August last year.