It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Californias' solution to crisis? An anti-stimulus bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
California state sales tax goes from 7.25% to 8.25% (I'm buying online from now on or out of state). Gas goes up $0.12/gallon. Vehicle registration doubles. Increases tax ('surcharge') on late income tax.

www.mercurynews.com...

Highlights of California budget proposal

Associated Press
Posted: 02/12/2009 10:27:21 PM PST

Highlights of most recent STATE budget proposal
The most recent proposal to close California's $40 billion budget deficit continues to evolve. Lawmakers also are waiting to see how much federal money California will receive under the federal stimulus bill. Here are provisions in the latest budget proposal:

Revenue
  • Increases the state sales tax by 1 percentage point.
  • Raises the fee for licensing vehicles to 1.15 percent of market value, up from the current 0.65 percent.
  • Adds a 12-cent gasoline tax.
  • Imposes a one-time, 5 percent surcharge on people who owe personal income tax at the end of 2009 to generate $3.2 billion. If the state receives more than $9.1 billion from the federal stimulus bill, the surcharge will be reduced to 2.5 percent.
  • Reduces the amount taxpayers can claim on dependent care credit to the federal level of $100 instead of $300.
Cuts
  • Reduces education spending by $8.6 billion over two years.
  • Imposes 10 percent cut to University of California and California State University systems.
  • Continues furlough for 238,000 state workers, trims overtime pay and eliminates two paid state holidays.
  • Cuts medical budget for the prison system by 10 percent.
  • Eliminates annual cost-of-living increases for recipients of the state's welfare-to-work program.
  • Eliminates cost-of-living increase for seniors and the disabled who are receiving Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
looks pretty much like what the rest of the states are doing....i mean i know that they all are in a budget crisis, but seriously WTF?!? how do they expect people to pay for this crap?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
And they wonder why people are leaving the state in droves.

Some people say that they know what they are doing, I'm starting to think other wise, I think a select few are doing it on purpose and the others are following their lead.

They keep raising taxes and slashing education budgets and the like, and it isn't working, hasn't occurred to them to try something else? Or are they too prideful to try fiscal responsibility because that is supposed to be a republican tenet?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed

• Reduces the amount taxpayers can claim on dependent care credit to the federal level of $100 instead of $300.

• What does the Federal level have to do with anything?

I can't believe how much they are reducing in Education, they already have overpopulated and under-achieving schools.

This plan is horrible, how about they make plans like no benefits to Illegal aliens, that should put them right back on budget in no time.

California is going to fall first.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
    link   
    It just doesnt make a lot of sense to me but not much does anymore concerning the goverment. Our town has lost all but one major employer. People here are really feeling it hard. So what does our town do? We had 12 dollars added to our water bills for trash removal and they raised the water and sewage rates. Fine most can still afford the 12 a month though it is getting harder to come by. What happened in January threw everyone a curveball though.
    In January we all should have been billed for Nov 17th to Dec 15th. They have always been a month behind on billing. Well middle of January everyone in the town recieved a bill for Nov 17th to Jan 17th. Which really is not horrible it is workable ...... not . They gave everyone a disconnect notice because it was for 2 months. By the time we got the bill we had exactly 12 days to pay the full amount or be disconnected. There is many in this town that had to be disconnected. Most are reconnected now but there is still a few that are not. And they charge a 50 dollar reconnect fee.
    Its just disgusting.

[edit on 2/13/2009 by mommy4life]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:13 PM
    link   
    How sad they will be cutting so much to Education.... As if the California school system is already something to be envied.

Honestly, I have nothing else to say about the California school system. And yes, I can comment. I grew up there.

Why not just cut benefits and schooling for illegals and their offspring?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:15 PM
    link   
    reply to post by xstealth

Haha... you beat me to it.

Have they ANY idea how much money they could save if they stopped supporting Mexico's poorest? Being humane, is one thing. Supporting a whole other country's poor and paying them for breeding is quite another.

Not to mention, if they started taxing Marijuana. Both of those, and they could stop punishing American citizens and be out of this mess in no time.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
    link   
    But hey we get another $13 a week!!

Seriously though, the state government must like real high unemployment rates and huge future budget shortfalls because the stream of people and businesses leaving the state will turn into a flood.

All the state will have left are illegal immigrants, state worker unions, and welfare recipients to pay for everything.

And the 12cent increase a gallon?!

We already pay high gasoline prices. State regulation make refiners do all this crap and it cuts into the supply and every year, like clockwork, gas prices spike from mid winter to summer, not because of the economy but because of the government.

The people that are going to suffer the most from this are the poor. Not employers and productive tax payers will flee, but the price of goods due to the extra taxes will increase and smack people the hardest when their budgets cant make do.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:20 PM
    link   
    And we think the illegal immigrant problem is bad now, wait till they flood the border in droves as Mexico collapses from drug lords.

I'm glad I don't live on the Mexican border. I'm close to the nice Canadians to the north.

Luckily it's not that far of a drive if it gets really bad here. Hell I bet Canada will start worrying about Americans flooding their borders soon if our government keeps doing the things that continue to anger the public.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:34 PM
    link   
    I live in California, and a decade ago things weren't like this.

This is what happens when you have 1. corruption 2. horrible economy 3. panic 4. highly stressed politicians 5. the Illuminati assaulting and corrupting people's values, morals, beliefs, and just about anything you can think of 6. communist news agencies, bad mouthing politicians on the state level 7. bribes 8. women's rights 9. gay's rights 10. civil rights 11. republicans and democrats fighting each other 12. illegals crossing into your border 13. looming depression/ financial crisis 14. your strings are being pulled by a puppet master .....So I suppose you are asking yourself, 'what does that have to do with the situation in California'.

What all this does, is it creates instability and as a result... people make dumb decisions. To conclude, this crisis is a by-product of the evils of government, a side effect of the drug that is hope, and the politicians who have sold their souls for cash... nothing more, nothing less.

It is time for a new party, the Honest Party.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by sliceNodice]

[edit on 13-2-2009 by sliceNodice]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:37 PM
    link   
    reply to post by sliceNodice

Yep and California is usually on the cutting edge of innovation and what usually happens here gets imported the world over.

We in California are innovating high taxes, abusive governments, and economic hell.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
    link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
    the Illuminati assaulting and corrupting people's values, morals, beliefs, and just about anything you can think of 6. communist news agencies, bad mouthing politicians on the state level8. women's rights 9. gay's rights 10. civil rights

Whaaaat? I fail to see how the illuminati, communists, women, gays, and "minorities" play into this whatsoever. Gotta be kidding me.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:40 PM
    link   
    why don't we just tax spending...and cut arnolds wages and tax his royalties...

I think taxing spending is a much better idea than this idea. Who is coming up with this stuff...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:50 AM
    link   
    reply to post by iiinvision

You DO Know that he works for free right? Deny ignorance?

reply to post by sliceNodice

While I think everything else you said was the rantings of a demented tinfoil-hatter, a new party, a new movement, I do agree with - though, I doubt in your mind you put much else than cynicism in that reply.

It needs to have a flatly centrist appeal, and in this state, that immediately disqualifies all our current PACs, organizations, political parties, etc. This thing might also require we revise our state constitution.

On an original note, I'm glad to be getting out of the government-run schools right as the # is hitting the fan. Now it's only at the college level that I'll be screwed over.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SpencerJ]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:30 PM
    link   
    reply to post by LostNemesis

NO, NO, NO, DO NOT TAX WEED!! If government legalized weed so that people could grow their own, the economy would be stimulated far beyond any of the government packages proposed thus far. People do not realize the amount of money that goes out of the country from people buying weed. Legalizing weed and releasing from prison those sentenced for possessing it would have immediate positive effects on the economy. BILLIONS of dollars would be inserted into the economy instead of going to Mexico and Columbia. Stoners love their toys. If they were not spending money on weed, they would be spending it on TV's, stereos, cars, RV's, trucks, boats, quads, and all kinds of stuff that is not selling good now because of the economy. The government does not need to tie up resources trying to tax, grow, dispense, or otherwise control weed. Just legalize it and get out of the way because the economy will explode so fast your eyes will bug out.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:51 PM
    link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
    reply to post by LostNemesis

NO, NO, NO, DO NOT TAX WEED!! If government legalized weed so that people could grow their own, the economy would be stimulated far beyond any of the government packages proposed thus far. People do not realize the amount of money that goes out of the country from people buying weed. Legalizing weed and releasing from prison those sentenced for possessing it would have immediate positive effects on the economy. BILLIONS of dollars would be inserted into the economy instead of going to Mexico and Columbia. Stoners love their toys. If they were not spending money on weed, they would be spending it on TV's, stereos, cars, RV's, trucks, boats, quads, and all kinds of stuff that is not selling good now because of the economy. The government does not need to tie up resources trying to tax, grow, dispense, or otherwise control weed. Just legalize it and get out of the way because the economy will explode so fast your eyes will bug out.

I totally concur! This is a renewable resource that because of IGNORANCE, FEAR, and PROPAGANDA is being overlooked as a very good solution to get not only California, but the US as a whole out of the hole we are in.

As for what is going on in CA with the cuts and all, I grew up there. Before the influx they have now of illegals, in my time there were less and it was much different. Nothing against the idea of their coming north looking for better opportunities, but there should be stipulations on them paying taxes like the rest of CA's citizens, as well as the amount of money they can send back to Mexico. They should also be required to become US citizens if they are working here for any longer than 6 months. Compassion for the immigrant is all well and good...but if you live here, you no longer belong to the country you left after that time...period.

~Holly

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:02 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

As for what is going on in CA with the cuts and all, I grew up there. Before the influx they have now of illegals, in my time there were less and it was much different. Nothing against the idea of their coming north looking for better opportunities, but there should be stipulations on them paying taxes like the rest of CA's citizens, as well as the amount of money they can send back to Mexico. They should also be required to become US citizens if they are working here for any longer than 6 months. Compassion for the immigrant is all well and good...but if you live here, you no longer belong to the country you left after that time...period.

~Holly

First off, there were fewer people in California, period, when you were growing up here. Until recently, California had one of the fastest growing populations in the entire nation. Some of that growth included illegal immigrants, but most of the population growth was the result of migratation from other states to "Golden Land of Opportunity".

It might well be argued that by attracting migration from poorer states, California was destined to attract a larger share of illegal immigrants.

These illegals who, working for traditionally lower wages in mostly service-related jobs (maids, gardeners/landscapers, unskilled construction labor, etc.)actuaully helped the economy of California become even more attractive to those companies and individuals flooding the state.

Now that the global economy (of which California played a vital role, at one time itself ranking as the fifth largest economy in the world, sans the rest of the nation) has tanked, California is understandibly taking it in the gut.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. And California was one of the biggest.

Secondly, where do you people keep getting the idea that illegal immigrants aren't paying taxes just like the rest of us (with the notable exceptions of the largest corporations and thier super-rich owners)?

The only way an illegal immgrant, or anyone else for that matter might excape personal income tax is if they make too little in wages to have to pay. Of course everyone has to pay sales tax on everthing they buy, whether you're an illegal immigrant or a legal citizen.

Unless, of course, you're rich enough to make you purchases outside the State. And greedy enough to break the law by failing to report the purchase as being for primary use in the State, so that it can be taxed accordingly (See the dispute over the Yacht Tax)

Employers are required to report the wages they pay All employees to the State and Federal government. Employers are also required to automatically withhold for personal income taxes the appropriate amount of wages as indicated by the employee's W-4., which is required by federal law for every employee.

Now, if an employer decides to pay an employee "under the table", thus effectively committing tax evasion, who is really at fault: the employee, who may not know the tax laws applicable (did you?), or the employer, who's just looking to save a few bucks on his taxes?

And of course, everone who pays their taxes is entitled to the social benefits those taxes pay for. including health and education.

Trust me, of those immigrants working in California illegally (as determined by the fact that they report under a false SSN), the vast majority pay what ever little tax they owe, willingly, almost gratefully.

Pity the same cannot be said of those legal "citizens", who have come to believe that the government owes them something simply because they exist. They, by far make up the majority of the tax cheats.

As to requiring that illegals become citizens if they live in the US for more than six months, I'm sure many would jump at the chance; if that citizenship was granted fully and without strings, or limitations.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:05 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Bhadhidar

Thank you for denying ignorance, Bhadhidar. While our immigration policy is a shitaster, it is our crippling safety net that is destroying us.

All we really need to do to solve California's fiscal problems is reduce the state sales tax and corporate income tax rate, along with downsizing local welfare programs while increasing payouts with part of the saved money. Furthermore, if we completely legalized drugs, commuted all nonviolent offenders in our prisons, privatized our remaining prisons and hospitals, the state would be back in the black.

And this is just at the STATE level. Imagine what we could do if we could tackle federal policy. But start local and the movement would grow. That's why California can't be seen as too self-reliant or else the rest of the country might just "follow".

new topics

top topics

join