It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraq Insurgents Kill One of Four Italian Hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Four Italian civilians were captured in Iraq in the last week and were shown on TV holding their passports. One of those hostages, Fabrizio Quattrocchi, age 35, has been murdered and the captors are threatening the lives of the other three if Italy does not pull out of Iraq. Reportedly there is video evidence of the killing, though it has not been released to American media yet.
Italian officials have confirmed the hostage's death.

Bloomberg.com

The purported video of the killing, which Al Jazeera claims to have received from the Green Mujahideen Brigade, has not been aired on TV yet. Al Jazeera is calling the tape "too bloody" to air. Considering the brutality shown on Al Jazeera TV in recent weeks, notably uncensored video of the four American civilians killed and mutilated in Fallujah, the content of the tape is likely a level of brutality that is truly frightening.

Reports indicate that the tape shows a man with his head covered who is then executed. The man's head is then uncovered to show his face.

Quattocchi was shot in the back of the neck with a handgun.

Related Stories:
AlJazeera.net
BBC.co.uk
Reuters

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Foxnews just updated the story that Al Jazeera is claiming to have video of the execution.

Seems they are always there when crimes occur. Time to start pressing charges against that network and kick them out of Iraq.

Updated: Al Jazeera is now saying they got the tape from the kidnappers but it was too gruesome for them to show. That really says something considering their laxed views on violent images.

Couple this with the announcement by Bush about settlements in Gaza/West Bank and things could get ugly tonight.

[Edited on 4/14/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the updates, nativeokie.
It seems suspicious that Al Jazeera isn't airing the tape. They usually subscribe to "the more brutal, the better" belief when it comes to shock journalism.
I really want to believe there isn't a tape, because the alternative isn't pretty.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here is a link to their story on the killings

english.aljazeera.net...

US Press is usally about 15 minutes behind...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The Italian hostage, Fabrizio Quattrocchi, is confirmed to have been killed after Italy's Ambassador to Qatar was permitted to view the Al Jazeera video.
Reuters

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think that there is probably a double standard in regard to how brutal the tape is. I suspect that if it were an American, the tape would have been aired.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

...the Al Jazeera video.

There you have it, AlJazeera's version of "Reality TV".

At least they did a first, and did not broadcast the video, surpirisingly.
Ran across this:
Arab TV networks accused of fueling violence in Iraq

Al-Jazeera has also been giving significant prominence and airtime to supporters of Shiite radical leader Moqtada Sadr, who is wanted in connection with the murder of a rival cleric last year.

Both Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya have also been the exclusive broadcasters of several videotapes of foreigners kidnapped by insurgents in Iraq.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think it is acceptable for the world to view the brutality of Americans but any other country would lessen thier effects on thier campaign to destroy America and our way of life. If they showed Italians being brutally murdered, then many countries would deem that as objectionable. Of course those same countries would love to see it be an American.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia
I think it is acceptable for the world to view the brutality of Americans but any other country would lessen thier effects on thier campaign to destroy America and our way of life. If they showed Italians being brutally murdered, then many countries would deem that as objectionable. Of course those same countries would love to see it be an American.

we dont kidnap civilian workers, we dont murder them on purpose and record it, we arent brutal to our enemies, we are careful when we do use weapons in war spending billions a year to develop safer weapons to reduce civilian deaths in combat zones, our military forces get put at higher risk because they are told to be on a defensive position letting the enemy get more organised, trained and attacking us and whenever our troops go after the enemy to stop attacks they are called brutal, war criminals, etc.

thats bs and people need to stop whining and putting restrictions on how our forces operate, if this wasnt going on our military wouldve crushed any opposition and the number of deaths would be far less and iraq would be in alot less chaos.

our reluctance to enforce order has made our forces look weak, unsure and vunerable so it makes them a much bigger target if the enemy thinks it can take them on.

this "nice" attitude you liberals want the military to abide by has caused the uneccisary deaths and forced the troops into a picture of being weak thus making more attack them.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

"we dont kidnap civilian workers, we dont murder them on purpose and record it, we arent brutal to our enemies, we are careful when we do use weapons in war spending billions a year to develop safer weapons to reduce civilian deaths in combat zones, our military forces get put at higher risk because they are told to be on a defensive position letting the enemy get more organised, trained and attacking us and whenever our troops go after the enemy to stop attacks they are called brutal, war criminals, etc."

No we just Nuke them like we did in Japan, Carpet bomb them like we did in Afghanistan, murder innocent wowen and children in Vietnam, take prisoners of war ship them to Cuba and put people in concentration camps(the japanese) in our own country and stick the Indians on reservations. Hmmm I think the US is responsible for many deaths and brutality.

"thats bs and people need to stop whining and putting restrictions on how our forces operate, if this wasnt going on our military wouldve crushed any opposition and the number of deaths would be far less and iraq would be in alot less chaos."

If there weren't restrictions the above would happen all over again- as to why we look bad to the world in the first place.

"this "nice" attitude you liberals want the military to abide by has caused the uneccisary deaths and forced the troops into a picture of being weak thus making more attack them."

So let me guess you are a conservative- hmm we should not be in Iraq in the first place.

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I read about this this morning from the bbc www.bbc.co.uk... the Italians are contracted security guarded sadly they must have known what they were getting into. Yes they are innocent but they are paid to take risks like this.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
i thought i would add this article.
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040415/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_kidnappings&cid=540&ncid=716

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia

Originally posted by namehere

"we dont kidnap civilian workers, we dont murder them on purpose and record it, we arent brutal to our enemies, we are careful when we do use weapons in war spending billions a year to develop safer weapons to reduce civilian deaths in combat zones, our military forces get put at higher risk because they are told to be on a defensive position letting the enemy get more organised, trained and attacking us and whenever our troops go after the enemy to stop attacks they are called brutal, war criminals, etc."

No we just Nuke them like we did in Japan, Carpet bomb them like we did in Afghanistan, murder innocent wowen and children in Vietnam, take prisoners of war ship them to Cuba and put people in concentration camps(the japanese) in our own country and stick the Indians on reservations. Hmmm I think the US is responsible for many deaths and brutality.

"thats bs and people need to stop whining and putting restrictions on how our forces operate, if this wasnt going on our military wouldve crushed any opposition and the number of deaths would be far less and iraq would be in alot less chaos."

If there weren't restrictions the above would happen all over again- as to why we look bad to the world in the first place.

"this "nice" attitude you liberals want the military to abide by has caused the uneccisary deaths and forced the troops into a picture of being weak thus making more attack them."

So let me guess you are a conservative- hmm we should not be in Iraq in the first place.

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by Narnia]

heh, well maybe but hey it all depends on the situation, in war its either you and your civilians or them and theirs, to survive sometimes you take drastic measures.

and i never said it all is or was right in the past but it is needed in some cases.

also, im not conservative and you know already, anyways im only saying that being nice in war will put you in more danger, thats all im implying here.

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by namehere]

new topics

top topics

join