It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long term survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Survival during the next few years

There is an old joke among economists that states:
A recession is when your neighbor loses his job.
A depression is when you lose your job

I read pretty much all of the survival threads and occasionally contribute my few cents to threads that interest me. One of the themes that I see over and over is SitX. People are ready to bug out right now. My position is that you may not know that SitX has occurred until way past the initial stages.

Perhaps we’ve experienced a SitX already and just haven’t realized it yet.
By that I mean the global economy could be in the process of collapsing. You can have localized Sitx like Katrina or other major weather related events. You could have earthquakes etc. Even if you have a pandemic, the newspapers may not tip you off in time to grab your BOB and head for the hills.

So, personally, I think that the situation that I see in the near future is a weakening of the economy to the point that people start to have real trouble finding enough to eat. Think about it. Obama is trying to pass a huge economic “stimulus” package but if you read the line item descriptions, there just isn’t much to stimulate job growth. We have major items for tax relief, welfare benefits, unemployment benefits, medical coverage for the unemployed but very little that will employ people. Those things just try to maintain your existence. What happens when that money runs out? Pass another economic stimulus?

So for all of my fellow survival post followers, I think that we’ve very close to a large problem.

That’s why I choose to stock up.

Almost every time that we go to the store we purchase more than we need for our mmediate future and stockpile it. Our hallway kind of reminds me of the backroom of a grocery store. (You can’t see my hall through any of the windows.) We date all our goods and make sure to use the oldest items last. We’re planting a big garden this year, far bigger than most people’s city lots. If I have too much food, I’ll give it away to my friends and co-workers if I still have a job.

We’ve also been purchasing tools that might become harder to come by should distribution side of things stop working so well. I still have lists of things that would be good to have and I’m slowly acquiring them.

At some point in time if my vision of the future is correct, everyone will know that our economy is in the crapper. That's when most people will try to bug out. Before things get really bad one of the things that I picture is the big costco run. Stock up on rice, beans, some canned good, pasta, powdered milk etc.

I truly hope that my vision of the future never happens. I hope that this depression is really just a recession and we’ll be looking better by the end of the year but I’m planning for a future that isn’t really that rosy.

I’m curious about your thoughts one what your vision of the future holds and how you’re planning not just on survival for a short period of time but for a long term.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I would really like to see your list of tools.
I have a chain saw, but since gas might be a problem, I bought an axe and a hatchet. Have a machete for light work. Have a tiller but I'm going have learn other ways to prepare the soil in case gas is a problem. Might have to invest a a wood stove, although there is not that much wood in my area. (Mostly farm land.)
Knives are always handy, in all sizes. Have a plethora of them. I'm stocking up on ammo, and heading for a gunshow next weekend. Need a .22 cal and I would like to find a couple of shotguns. One that I might saw off.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
how bout we don't list what we got. Seeing as how THEY are looking for all kinds of info on what we do got. im sure this here website is just as susceptible to that kind of info search as anywhere else. Hasn't anyone ever told you not to speak of what you got? or where it is? or that you even got anything to begin with. Sheesh. Me, i got nothing. Not even a BOB.

Love and Peace

no offense meant WildBob. Just, you know, bringing up the awareness level.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by M157yD4wn]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

Okay, most of us use pseudonyms, so nobody knows who we are, and a few of us do list our general area, but not a town. I know that anything can be hacked, but the idea here is to help each other get it together.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I posted a different thread on this but I do not see it anymore. I suppose it was mis-categorized. This is an U.S. Military survival guide. It includes how to build a shelter, food sources, water purification and more. Perfect for the worst of survival situations. I plan to print it out sometime soon, it's about 250 pages.

www.scribd.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It only makes common sense to do a modicum of preparation for future disasters be they tornado, hurricane, earthquake or whatever. If we know that the economy is going down the crapper common sense would tell anyone there will be less resources for disaster recovery. Common sense also tells you that anything you can do to lessen your need for income such as growing a garden, raising a hog or freezing your favorite wild game will mean one less person in the bread line.

As far as arming up and fantasizing about being a Rambo/Mad Max in a future wasteland, I don't see that happening. What is more likely is that the suits are going to have to come to grips with the fact that they have to get dirt under there nails and wear their clothes for longer than a season. Same goes for the drug dealers and wastoids. If I was in the city I would be more worried about bandits and the like but where I live I reckon at least 30% of homes have a gun if not twice or more times that and people use them for hunting every year. Theives, rapists and murderers will not be tolerated AT ALL.

Survival and farming are in our blood.

heh went a little off track

long term: saving seeds of hardy crops, learning how to put food by, and trying to figure out what are going to be the items that get scarce and prices rise before they do.

Tools:
chainsaw (but know how to use safely)
shop tools (we should have at least a few hours of electric)
hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, nails, screws, hand drill, etc. x infinity)
tools for serious outdoor work:
axe, pulaski/grubhoe, rakes, round and flat shovels, bow saws and pruning saws, pruning shears, digging/rock bars,
LADDERS!
tarps
sharpening stones and know how to use them

Foods that require little care but provide food or other value:
Jerusalem artichoke - look like little sunflowers, the raw tubers are delicious
nut trees
fruit trees but may have to learn about pest and disease control
blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, artic kiwi, hardy grapes
potatoes are supposed to be easy

I live in USDA zone 5. If you are in a warmer area your food posibilities go up.

Lastly, poke around and you may find some old abandoned properties with apple fruit and nut trees.

Hard cider is going to become more popular.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I would really like to see your list of tools.
I have a chain saw, but since gas might be a problem, I bought an axe and a hatchet. Have a machete for light work. Have a tiller but I'm going have learn other ways to prepare the soil in case gas is a problem. Might have to invest a a wood stove, although there is not that much wood in my area. (Mostly farm land.)
Knives are always handy, in all sizes. Have a plethora of them. I'm stocking up on ammo, and heading for a gunshow next weekend. Need a .22 cal and I would like to find a couple of shotguns. One that I might saw off.

Don't throw out your gas tiller just yet, or any of your gasoline powered equipment for that matter, you can still operate them utilizing wood gasification. I am stockpiling food and amunition, but I am also researching alternative energy, out of all of them (at least in my opinion) the most logical choice is biomass / Wood gasification, you don't need wood just any form of dry biomass, twigs, hay, newspaper. More info here,

www.wood-gasification.com...

and here

whatiamupto.com...

Good luck and may god help us all..

Sailor

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
One more link this gentleman is running a 5kw generator on wood gas alone, very interesting everyone should be looking at this.

whatiamupto.com...

Sailor

new topics

top topics

join