It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoth/Dino/ prehistoric megafauna/extinct animal secret ressurections?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Ok, I've lurked here long enough, time for a hopefully worthwhile post.

I was reading some stuff the other day online about how scientists are now thinking it's possible to bring back extinct species using DNA from bones, fossels and specimens preserved in perma frosts. Do you think that while we are being spoon fed these little tempting bits of 'possible in the future' news stories, someplace somewhere there is a top secret zoo containing the results of such theories. Like a top secret 'phoenix' or 'lazarus' project.

I am a firm beleiver that we are only exposed to a fairly low level of technical advancements. I beleive that humanity is far more advanced in science & technology than we the public will ever know. I beleive this is possible and has probably been done many times.

Humans being humans can't leave things be, if there's a chance it COULD be done, then it WILL be done. I don't think aliens give us these advances though like some might say, I beleive the human brain to be a powerful enough organ to operate on the levels required for these sorts of things.

So, is anyone for the theory that a real 'jurassic park' could well exist somewhere?

[edit on 13-2-2009 by The Chez]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I suppose we might really never know.

It is an interesting theory, one that I have heard many times before, but like I said, we might never know what is really going on in this world.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hey Chez...

Welcome to the site dude...

Your theory may be true, but more than likely if it is, it's underground...so, we will no see it anytime soon.

BTW - your thread title almost gave me a seizure...

mamrarg dite!

[edit on 2/13/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There's not actualy that much needed to pull this off either. All whoever would need is a few remote off the map islands, some tropical, some frozen etc (to mimic suitable habitats) and scientists willing to do the cloning. Think there are THOUSANDS of tiny islands round the south pacific & polar regions that would be perfect hiding places for such a project.

I've scoured the internet looking for someone with this idea, bot so far I've found NOTHING. Maybe thats more reason to thing there is SOMETHING going on in this area of science. It is afterall possible to clone living beings, we've seen it in dogs & sheep so why not mammoths, dodo's, thylacene's & dinosaurs? One problem is finding suitable surrogates I spose, but modern day animals would provide a good start, for example the elephant would carry the mammoth, the pigeon would carry the dodo so on so forth.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Chez
There's not actualy that much needed to pull this off either. All whoever would need is a few remote off the map islands, some tropical, some frozen etc (to mimic suitable habitats) and scientists willing to do the cloning. Think there are THOUSANDS of tiny islands round the south pacific & polar regions that would be perfect hiding places for such a project.

I've scoured the internet looking for someone with this idea, bot so far I've found NOTHING. Maybe thats more reason to thing there is SOMETHING going on in this area of science. It is afterall possible to clone living beings, we've seen it in dogs & sheep so why not mammoths, dodo's, thylacene's & dinosaurs? One problem is finding suitable surrogates I spose, but modern day animals would provide a good start, for example the elephant would carry the mammoth, the pigeon would carry the dodo so on so forth.

agreed, this is not outside the realm of possibility and if it happens/has happened, i just hope someone takes a couple of pics. I would love to see a T-Rex in action

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've read some pretty far out stuff here on ATS and I must say this theory sounds pretty down to earth among them lol.

I've always been facinated by such a possibility, and I really think we are at a stage now where death will slowly become more of a 'annoyance' than a terminal & terrifying thing.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
bingo bango

you're on to something op

ive been thinking about this same exact scenario for quite a while now

i mean

we already know how to clone animals

we can already basically create life thru artificial insemination and cloning and stuff like that

we already have mapped out several different beings' dna's

really all thats needed is the money and secrecy to make it happen

we already have all the tools and knowledge needed

whenever this subject is in the news, we're always potentially a "few years away" from it being possible

but they've been saying that for more then a few years now

and Jurassic park is pretty old now (the movie i mean)

but who knows maybe not just the movie, maybe there really is a real jurassic park somewhere

i truly do believe though, if there isnt an actual park or something as big or grand as that idea, i am pretty positive someones done it in a lab somewhere

i wont be surprised to see more information on this subject come out now that obama is starting to overturn all the laws and bans on things like stem cell research and stuff like that

i wonder how long this threads going to be up for before someone here at ats puts up a link on here talking about something of this exact nature, showing some type of proof

great thread

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
umm

ps

if anyone is actually running a site like this, or working for one, and you need some workers and hired help

give me a u2u

i promise not to pull a wayne from j park (im not even THAT good with computers)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I agree, we definitely don't get exposed to all the facts and technologies the government comes up til long after- if we ever see it. Cell phones and GPS are great examples of goods we enjoy now that were utilized exclusively by the government in years past.

As far as this technology existing, I'm not too sure. Sounds very Jurassic Park-esque, but then again it wouldn't be the first time we've had technology plainly thrown in our face to see how we would respond.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Why, thank you Dramey

Like I said above, I have spent HOURS googling various ways of wording it, but I have not come across ANY such info or even conspiracy theories on the subject. The internet is dead in this area as far as I'm concered, so yeah, if anyone has any links or pics or whatnot to back this thread up I'd much appreciate it.

The best ones I spose would be if anyone knows any google earth locations of secret stations/bases on islands or places where animals are kept in secret. I'm starting to sound a little LOST-esque here...

[edit on 14-2-2009 by The Chez]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
A bit like this little guy?

The Pyrenean Ibex was declared extinct in 2000 when the last one was found dead. Last year scientists cloned it.

Shortly before its death, scientists preserved skin samples of the goat, a subspecies of the Spanish ibex that live in mountain ranges across the country, in liquid nitrogen. Using DNA taken from these skin samples, the scientists were able to replace the genetic material in eggs from domestic goats, to clone a female Pyrenean ibex, or bucardo as they are known. It is the first time an extinct animal has been cloned. Sadly, the newborn ibex kid died shortly after birth due to physical defects in its lungs. Other cloned animals, including sheep, have been born with similar lung defect
Daily Telegraph

Scientists are already beginning to store genetic material from endangered animals to try to safeguard their future. Much like the Iceland seed bank, we'll be storing DNA base pairs of species in future 'arks'. The saddest part of all this is that the most likely animal to brought back is one that is alive now. Think of gorillas, orangutans or tigers.

Hendrik Poiner is a little 'out there' but has definite plans for the cloning of mammoths.

Poinar focused the majority of his presentation on addressing his work in locating and isolating mammoth DNA. In one research expedition to Siberia, he and his team analyzed the DNA of numerous mammoth specimens taken from a shelf of permafrost that had been preserved by Siberian researchers in an “ice cave” formerly used to store Soviet nuclear weapons. “Here you have the blood of a 60,000-year-old mammoth squirting out,” Poinar said. “It’s really quite amazing.”

He then went on to explain that the specimens collected from the Siberian site yielded approximately 14 million base-pairs of mammoth DNA in the course of about five hours.
Stanford Daily

Only last month New Scientist suggested a Top Ten of extinct animals. If you read the link be certain to read to the end. The most important part of the article gives reasons why cloning extinct animals is so challenging.

Having a sabre-toothed tiger might be interesting

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thanks for that Kandinsky. This lung defect obviously shows that a great deal of hit & miss will be involved in cloning. Facinating the goat was done though, thats basicaly proof that it can be done. Goat DNA in liquid nitrogen or mammoth DNA in permafrost, same laws of science apply.

I beleive that early humans were responsable for the mammoth's dimise, along with changing enviromental factors. I think we owe it to the animals we helped to make extinct to try & bring them back. Sabertooth tigers would be so awesome to see again, they're a truly impressive & beautiful animal.

Another curious creature was the wooly rhino, little is said about him.

There's always the possibility that SOME of these creatures never really died out. Sightings continue of the thylacene in parts of Austrailia and some claim to have seen giant sloths & mammoths all over the world too. One thing I did read is that during some WWII mission, 'huge wooly elephants' were spotted from the air over Alaska I think it was.

If this is true though I hope we never find them, because some trophy hunting manic will be bound put bullets in them.

top topics

join