It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000000 rds a minute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
has anybody heard of a modular weapons sytem capable of firing 1,000,000 rds a minute also a weapon that fires dic like ammunition at 20,000 rds a minute

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No, but such a weapon would need one heck of a supply of ammunition to be spitting out that much per minute. And would be somewhat rediculous and (excuse the pun)..over-kill when a simple missile would do the job.

Why would such a gun be needed in the first place? What possible threat would require a gun spitting out 1,000,000 rounds per minute?

Just more nonsense toys for the military and we get to pay the bill like everything else.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 13-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

Metal Storm

Ive seen a few vids on this, havent verified yet tho

Theres a variety of versions of this for anti-aircraft, anti-personell (i think)

[edit on 13/2/2009 by phushion]

CNN
MetalStorm

Other things they are developing:

MetalStorm

Scary Guns (MetalStorm)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

What is the calibre of this weapon???? I wouldnt be surprised if it were used in FEMA camps to get rid of people.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

tony rogers dot com

Rather than depending on larger calibers-such as .50 caliber or 20 mm-the Metal Storm advanced sniper rifle would use .45 caliber ammunition, with thousands of rounds fired at a high rate of fire.

The ammunition developed for the sniper version of Metal Storm comes in two versions. One has a .17 caliber tungsten sabot fin stabilized projectile. The second variation has a .22 caliber sabot round that is spin stabilized. Both variants are caseless and electronically primed.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
popular mechanics

"The reason for the 36 barrels was simply to indicate to ourselves and to others the future versatility of this system, in that with the 36 barrels we had 540 rounds on board and, based on the 45,000-round-per-minute rate per barrel, that gave us a maximum firing rate of 1.62 million rounds per minute," the inventor says.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Sounds like a logistical nightmare with very limited battlefield use.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Heh Heh. If that is indeed a real technology I guess we would then know where the billions we've spent tax wise on defense spending and military projects.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
talk about overkill, no joke there! although if i could get my hands on one of these.....

sucker would be set up in the backyard on a turret

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

About all it would be good for is for shooting at missiles and aircraft. Occasions where you don't have much time to take a shot, so you should fire as many as possible.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sliadon
Heh Heh. If that is indeed a real technology I guess we would then know where the billions we've spent tax wise on defense spending and military projects.

I don't think the US military has picked it up yet.

It's designed by Australians and has been around for quite some time.

They even have a prototype handgun too.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
on a similar note, there is an automatic handgun similar to this that is available in the US.

not LEGALLY, but it's available :p

[edit on 13-2-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

actually the company is based in maryland now and their RD money comes from DOD.

The US DOD is funding several programs to develop the system.
From hand guns and combat rifles to 40mm grenade launchers and even 105mm howizters

It has so many advantages, no moving parts, sealed rounds and high rates of fire.
If there is a miss fire then the bullet behind the misfired round pushes it out of the way

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
...Ideal for home Defense ;-)

One person with this gun can fire the same amount of bullets as 1250 Soldiers armed with m-16s firing at 800 rounds per minute for one minute.

This system would be an expedient way to clear minefields - Expensive, but effective. You could clear a pathway through a minefield with this, and could do so without mine clearing vehicles and personnel.

I understand this uses caseless ammunition and the rounds are stacked, the firing caps - electronically detonated.

The 40mm grenade version of this system holds the most commercial promise.

Personally, I hope this company goes broke.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I remember reading or seeing something years ago about an Australian who had invented in his garage this weapon that fired at a theoretical rate of fire of millions per minute.

I then heard that the DOD had expressed interest, examined his design and manufactured their own, and the guy was left penniless.

Edit - On doing some research, this looks like the MetalStorm that was mentioned earlier :
www.wired.com...

Just how lethal? That depends on how many rounds you want to fire and how many barrels you want to put to use. In a test firing of 36 barrels, lashed together and firing full bore, the gun reduced a series of 15 wooden doors to toothpicks in just two-tenths of a second.

top topics

join