It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gardeners, help me with rabbits...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Cayenne pepper appears to be one solution.

Hot pepper mixes and Blood Meal appear to help

I think habenero which is MUCH hotter would work as well.

Don't touch it and rub your eye or you will damn near go blind.

The oil from habenero's is persistent too til you wash with hot water
and something to cut the oil.

Blood meal is suppose to deter the rabbits too, but the hot pepper
mix sprinkled on there will deter just about anything.

Good Luck !

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
My grandmother used to sprinkle clippings of human hair around her garden to deter rabbits, and I must say that it worked pretty well. You can also sprinkle a small amount of boric acid or blood meal around the outside of the garden and get similar results.

This has worked spectacularly for me. Blood from a meatshop/slaughterhouse works good too.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I suggest a .22 rifle or a rottweiler.

But if this upsets your neighbors, you could try this:

If fencing is impractical, or damage is so slight that it is not cost effective, small plots and individual plants can be protected with a homemade repellent. To make the repellent you need one whole spanish onion, one jalepeno pepper and one tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Chop up the onion and pepper. Mix together and boil in two quarts of water for about 20 minutes. Let cool and then strain water through a cheesecloth into a container. Using a garden sprayer, spray any area outside where rabbits are being a nuisance. The process may have to be carried out for a period of two weeks to assure success. The mixture is non-toxic and safe. It will not harm the animals but will succeed in keeping them away.

rabbit facts

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Try picking up some Halloween greeters that respond to motion. They're fairly cheap and weatherproof.

Put a couple within the garden aiming down the rows you want to protect.

Rabbits don't much care for the scary sounds and glowing eyes, makes 'em run every time, although the neighbors within earshot might ought to be warned.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
An organic way, and good for Moles and Rats, and catches slugs to.

Get some traditional British Glass Milk Bottle type containers.

Around the plot say enough for 1/4 acre, dig six of them in a circle around the plot, with about 2 inches of the top above ground, rest buried.

Make sure when burying them they are in tight but not too tight a tiny bit of movement available say 5mm either way.

Drop into the milk bottles some very small nails, or screws only a few in each.

1/3 rd fill the bottles with something like Beer or Lager (not bud or american light beer), something quite strong, with body Bitter as it is known in the UK is good. Tiny sprinkle of sugar in each.

Slugs, wasps, flies, etc and such like go for the beer, and unfortunately do drown, but if you put the contents of bottles onto compost heap is organic.

As the wind blows over the top of the bottle, like a kid playing a note on a bottle or jar with a downward whistle, it makes a high pitched sound that is usually not even heard by humans, but keeps away the pests, also the sound vibrates through the soil, sounding like a high pitched distress call of a attacked rabbit, mole etc.

The screws vibrate and hit the bottle bottom, adding to the deterant, under the ground, confusing the rabbits and moles, they wont burrow towards it.

Or you can introduce a natural wild hunting bird to the area, falcon or small eagle type!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Very interesting Elf. Where did you learn this info?

Maybe you can help me with this one.....

When I was in Tombstone, open doorways...no AC.

They would take sandwhich bags, and put a shiny penny in it , fill it with water,and nail one on each side of the door frame. You saw this on every building. They said it keeps the flies out.

It seemed to work too.

But no one could explain why. I wonder how anyone came up with that idea to begin with.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Bunnies have pretty sensitive ears and noses,so sound and smells often frighten off the cute little critters.

Putting a wind chime in the right place might scare them off.

Smells from human hair sprinkled around the perimeter works and you can get a big bag full for free.

Urine and feces works as well from predatory sources dogs and such and even human urine is enough to scare them off. reapply after rain

You can get some products for rabbit control at gardening places that you buy fertilizer.

Another trick is to soak corn cobs in vinegar and place them between the garden perimeter and where the rabbit are coming from they need to be re soaked every week or so

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I have tried dried blood meal, fresh blood, fox, coyote and mountain lion urine, vinegar, and human hair.

While the frequency of "invasion" dropped with all of them, the coyote urine and human hair are the only things that kept my garden 100% rabbit free. I stick to the human hair for obvious reasons.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
ok pretty much my only question is how the hell do you go about getting coyote and mountain lion urine

and would anyone be able to post a video of it, cuz that has to be hysterical

props to whoever has the guts to do that

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

My friends that did that told me it looked like a hornets nest to the flies. That didn't seem realistic enough for me so I read stuff like this. Make of it what you will, it suggests light refraction creating illusions.

To the OP, tell us what works, alright?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thanks beaver. that sounds interesting.
second line.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Get yourself a good outdoor type cat or two - when was young mother
had garden. We had a good female cat loved to go outdoors and catch
things, mice, birds, squirrels. When she was around no critters dared to
hang around - when she was too old to go outdoors birds, squirrels and
rabbits had a feast.

Also make great pets....

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Thanks everyone who has replied. TOday I put pepper powder around, I always have some of that around for remedies, so we will see how it goes.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My Dad hangs cat poop from a stake next to the bunnies' fave munching spots and he put a ceramic animal statue kind of like a little scarecrow but for bunnies. It sure does make the garden look silly but seems to work. I am sure he will do the same thing this year.

He has tried the marigolds in the past but they just hop right over those.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have heard many myths about repelling rabbits. So far i've tried everything suggested in this thread and i never had any real results. Shooting them worked but you can't do that so i have one final suggestion (although shooting them REALLY honestly
).

Go to your local butcher and ask if he/she has any rabbits for sale (i mean dead ones of course). Ask if he/she has any of the intestines spare, some liver, kidneys etc. They have to be rabbit ones and the butcher will often give them out for free or very cheap.

Now spread these around, i know it's not nice, you don't need them in full view just bury then under a centimeter of soil. The smell should scare rabbits off, if they smell a fellow dead rabbit they tend to avoid that area.

That's the only suggestion i can think of trying.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I assume other people are getting their produce eaten as well. What you want to do is make your less desireable and harder to get at than everyone elses. I would consider trying a thin flexible plastic fence called deer fencing. It would be a pain but so is getting your crops eaten. 4 stakes for the corners and then some tent stakes, rocks, sod staples or other method to hold the bottom of the fence down to the ground so the rabbits can't EASILY burrow underneath. The fencing is 6' feet tall so you could fold it over for double thickness. Chicken wire would work better but is more visible. I don't know how high your rabbits can hop but it should be an inch higher than that. This simple fencing method is relatively quick, temporary and less visually impacting than chain link fence.
Some of the hot pepper and soap etc. sprays work too. When using canine urine you are likely to attract actual canines to remark the spot on their own. I use coyote urine and sure enough they come by late at night and hopefully leave enough smells to keep the deer at bay.

good luck. I am just about to start seeds indoors, the snow is still covering the ground.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Go to your local Garden/Hardware store and ask for dried blood.
It stinks to high heaven. Sprinkle in, on, and around your plants.
Problem solved !!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
try a raw egg with water in a spray bottle and spray the plants..My mom has done this for deer and works..

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have a garden in my backyard. Fortunately its all fenced in, 6 ft high, so no critters get in.

Have you tried raised beds on your portion of the plot?

I saw a video of a woman who had problems with birds eating tomatoes, she put pantyhose around the tomatoes, birds couldint get to them anymore.

Maybe you could try some kind of fine transparent netting in a similar fashion to what she did ... ?

Good luck! My broccoli just started sprouting, I can't wait!

[edit on 15-2-2009 by PH43DRUS]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I have a fairly large vegetable garden, around 1,200 square feet. I take a bottle of "Dave's Instant Insanity Sauce"(Habanero Sauce), and mix it into a large 2 gallon sprayer filled with water. I spray all the new plants and sprouts, as they are the primary target of rabbits. I repeat the spraying after rain. Once the plants start growing tall, the rabbits are less of a threat. Most other large pests are also repelled by the pepper sauce mix. I remember the first time I sprayed, went in the house, and subsequently saw a rabbit approaching a patch of newly sprouted string beans (one of the rabbit favorites). The rabbit must have taken a nibble, then jumped about 4 feet in the air. His next move was to run into my neighbors yard.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join