It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space crash called 'catastrophic,' lots of debris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Perhaps I missed the news about the space collision and the thread that refers to it.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

MOSCOW - The crash of two satellites has generated an estimated tens of thousands of pieces of space junk that could circle Earth and threaten other satellites for the next 10,000 years, space experts said Friday.

One called the collision "a catastrophic event" that he hoped would force the new U.S. administration to address the issue of debris in space.

Anyway . . .
Can anyone here design a system that would subdue the anarchy reigning in the space? Would the idea of satellites being equipped with local early warning radar system work? If so, would it be too expensive to implement it?

The collision wasn't predicted by mathematicians even though computing the probabilities of a satellite collision within a specific time frame was a nice challenge.

Earth pollution, space pollution . . . Giving Man tech is like giving a book of matches to a toddler who maybe smart enough to set the house on fire.

[edit on 2/13/2009 by stander]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
ok this is my lame exuse but the more we send crap up the more probibility its got hitting another in orbit around the earth..

The problem now is "they have bits of crap" wizzing about less than 1cm across .. in orbit and we know what paint can do to the space station window!!

its not good news. infact its bad planning ... we litter space like we do the ground.. with no regard of the effect.

good find S+F

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is a serious problem for us all.

But never fear. I have the solution. Build a space ship with a controllable magnetic cloak. Fly through the debris fields and turn on the magnetic cloak.

Now, at the proper time come back. The space junk should burn up on the way back to earth.

You may be saying the ship will burn also. No, no, the cloak will disconnect from the ship when a certain temperature is reached.

Please just humor me today. I'm feeling very silly.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Sounds like the space program should have kept going as it was during Apollo so that there would be industry by now, particularly space salvage industries that could have kept all that junk cleaned up.

Too late now.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Perhaps we need to work on a giant space vacuum cleaner.
That circles the earth scooping up all the junk.And compacts it.
Then when its full it shoots it with a rocket at the sun.
Or even shoots it at the earth, at a certain trajectory, to ensure certain burning up entering the earths atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Space balls had this solved many years ago. Use that giant vaccum.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Out comes the ATS user in me...

Could this be on purpose so that the majority of UFO sightings, which have been occuring more frequently then ever, can be instantly dismissed as peices of debris burning up in the atmosphere?

I could see that being used as a believable cover to counter a lot of reports the may come in the near future. They know that something is going on, and maybe they aren't ready for disclosure just yet.

Of course, it could also just be as stated, but whats the fun in that?

top topics

join