It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Pottery of some kind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Sorry guys I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, feel free to move it. Anyway, this morning I found a weird "rock" next to my shed. Around late September or early October I had around 3 1/2 tons of gravel dumped in my yard so I could redo my driveway. This is where I'm guessing it came from? Anyway just curious what you guys have to say about it. Definately looks man made to me.

img145.imageshack.us...

img8.imageshack.us...

img145.imageshack.us...

img145.imageshack.us...

img8.imageshack.us...

[edit on 13-2-2009 by -NewSense-]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It Looks to me like some fossilized remains of sea shells/nautilus etc.

Its not pottery at all.

[edit on 13/2/09 by coredrill]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I've looked at both suggestions and I don't see the resemblence. The grooves aren't in a spiral form, just crescent notches. And the texture really seems that of pottery, or some kind of natural stone perhaps. Almost like a brick, but much more solid..

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It appears to be an impression of part of a fossilized ammonite shell. It's not pottery, but it IS a fossil fragment of some sort. Not terribly valuable from a monetary sense, but really valuable from a "whoa- cool!" sense.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Actually THAT ammonite is the one was the one easten by the creature that later became the ancestor of us all 375 million years later.

How can I tell? Send me 4.99 and I'll tell you the hidden and suppressed secrets.

Hmmmm I think I've been reading to much fringe recently!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It appears to be an impression of part of a fossilized ammonite shell. It's not pottery, but it IS a fossil fragment of some sort. Not terribly valuable from a monetary sense, but really valuable from a "whoa- cool!" sense.

Again, this "fossil" is not in a spiral form. The ammonite's shell is clearly spiral in design. The notches in the "rock" are like 1/3 circle marks. Like rainbow pattern on top of each other.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Actually, it ooks like sandstone. Seen plenty where you have everything from little critters walking on the bottom to worm tunnels.
This looks like some of the sand piles I've seen left behind by some marine worms, or something similar.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
Actually, it ooks like sandstone. Seen plenty where you have everything from little critters walking on the bottom to worm tunnels.
This looks like some of the sand piles I've seen left behind by some marine worms, or something similar.

Hmm it actually does look like some sandstones. The only difference is the grittyness. This object doesn't have that, it's really smooth.

And also, if you look at the picture w/ the top view, you'll notice what almost looks like a handle, and actually fits perfect in your hand to say...sand something down, or sharpen something. Note that the bottom is completely flat. It actually worked pretty well on my pocket knife..

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Is it something like this?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It depends on the material it was formed from. Sandstone can b formed from pretty fine soil, like the mud you'd find on the bottom of a pond or silt on a rivr.
It could be metamorphic, or like it's been suggested, could be part of a fossil.
metamorphic rock tends to break along a cleavage line, and can leave very straight edges.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
just an example..

The above pic does look some man made pottry embedded in the rock. But it is an ammonite fossil actually.

the rock containing the fossil shown in the original Post could have broken up into pieces.

just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join