It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jet fighter takes off out of water...are under water aircraft carrriers the future?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Lockheed Martin has proposed a sub-launched UCAV that would be launched like an ICBM from a modified Trident(?) Class missile sub. It would be recovered with something comparable to a crane.

Not much is known about this project as I've only seen it mentioned shortly on tv once and have found only a couple sentences regarding it on the internet.

[Edited on 4-15-2004 by abeyer]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This was fake, I have studied the video closely, no way the fire could have burst out like that.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Thought this might be of some use

www.afa.org...

www.flightinternational.com...

Peace

DJDOHBOY

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
An underwater launch of a fighter jet could be achieved with a heavily modified sub. You would only need to encase the entire plane in a lightweight shell similar to a sabot round. Put a rocket engine on the back and you could launch to flight speed from 20 feet under water.
Crazy? Yes!
Doable? Maybe...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I found this picture with this paragraph. Funny as I wasnt looking for aircraft on subs. I thought it might be interesting and could go on this thread

The Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk, being an all-purpose aircraft, was the subject of a 1970s experimental sea trial of an A-4 on board a Royal Australian Navy submarine. There was no objection from the aviators to operating the Skyhawk from the somewhat limited deck space of the submarine. However, the experiment was abandoned when the submarine's CO objected to the jet blast burning the paintwork off the sail.

from This Site

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
note to self dont join australian navy air wing
if thats what they do for a research project what do they do for a test run ?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
An underwater launch of a fighter jet could be achieved with a heavily modified sub. You would only need to encase the entire plane in a lightweight shell similar to a sabot round. Put a rocket engine on the back and you could launch to flight speed from 20 feet under water.
Crazy? Yes!
Doable? Maybe...

The modified sub is already in developement, though the idea of launching the UCAV is not a sure thing. They are taking 4 Ohio class subs and converting them from SSBN's to SSGN's which will carry cruise missles and up to 66 SEALs instead of nuclear ICBMs in accordance with arms reduction treaties. If you would like a link let me know.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
aye i seen that 2 it was on a tv about those subs smart ideas (whish my government done that instead of wasteing money on stupid projects also just wonderin where the **** does all the MODS money go to anyway ?
an underwater carrier would difficult to build and maintain
also could u imagine the engines needed to move it and where u gona hide it

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You also have to think about where's all the jet fuel, bombs, missles, parts, and extra people are all gonna fit, let alone the planes themselves.. The sub itself would probably end up bigger than our current class of carriers if you truely want to replace reg. carriers with sub carriers.

ppp

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Stupid idea.

Does the Navy think money grows on a big green plant named Bush?

Does the green Bush think he can buy submarine carrier and trillion dollar manned bases on the Moon and trips to Mars?

www.rpi.edu...
George Bush go home

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i believe that such an idea of a plane being launched under water is absurd. primarily it is far too costly. secondly the plane would not be able to be launched at great deapths (so why not use aircraft-carriers?). but mainly, imagining that such an object was build, when the plane was launched any sonar would pick up the noise and DEFINITLY give away the position of the submarine. then considering that the russians have developed the shkval torpedo, it is just a question of time until when that submarine is eliminated

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

This was fake, I have studied the video closely, no way the fire could have burst out like that.

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by curme]

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
good job makin a tomahawk cold launch from a missile sub with an f- 15 good idea (im not bein sarcastic) Im a nerd

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join