It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jet fighter takes off out of water...are under water aircraft carrriers the future?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here is a clip put together that I found on a site of a US military jet taking off out of the water.

The clip is a fake of a jet superimposed over a ICBM but the question I pose is will we see technology life this in the future?

Imagine UCAVs launched out of a special submarine and retrieved from the ocean.

I think the military should move into a technology where we would have a submersible carrier that could launch the ucavs and retrieve them.

Either launch them in a way a icbm is launched or have the carrier submerge, come out and launch the ucavs, submerge again, and then come out to have the ucavs land on the deck.

I imagine a problem in creating it would be to have a large vessel like that be water tight. with elecator and a complex system to launch and retrieve.

This would be the ultimate in Sea stealth.

I know Japan in ww2 had a plane that was launched from a submarine.

I wonder if the US is working on anything like what I explained.

anyway here is the clip that sparked my interest.

Fighter aircraft launched from under water

Later,

Reason

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Nice Video. I think Submarines should have a good way to attack aircraft so they dont have to rely on surface ships so an underwater aircraft carrier sounds great

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What happened? When I downloaded the video, it was 10 seconds of just the ocean, no plane coming out. That's weird.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
What happened? When I downloaded the video, it was 10 seconds of just the ocean, no plane coming out. That's weird.

Try saving the target file on your computer and then opening.

Later,

Reason

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by REASON

what? i've never heard of that ever. please elaborate.

in other news, hilarious video!

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

what? i've never heard of that ever. please elaborate.

in other news, hilarious video!

Check out this Site I found with a little information.

I have also see info on the history channel.

Submarine with plane on it

Later,
Reason

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
A few more sources

www.universitypark.org... (about halfway down the page)
www.afa.org...

It looks as though one actually dropped some bombs on Oregon, this is all news to me.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I think we already have a winner for the ultimate sea stealth.

Publically known for over 10 years

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by anjeeeee]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Check out this Site I found with a little information.

I have also see info on the history channel.

Submarine with plane on it

Later,
Reason

okay, i misunderstood. i thought you were saying that the japanese could launch planes from underwater. my bad. i knew about these though. thanks for clearing that up.

as for the balloon bombs, i think one of them even killed an elephant in a zoo or something.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The video that was shown is obviously fake because of the way the water reacts as the plane leaves the water, even if the plane is constantly pushing with thrust as it would have too, the water would not stick to the planes armor like it did and the thrust would not just push the water up in that particular area. It seems that the video was edited in a small way maybe with a Dolphin jumping out of the water and then switching to a plane....the stories are all true but I doubt that they have updated any nautical or aerial systems to launch a plane..

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Here is a clip put together that I found on a site of a US military jet taking off out of the water.

The clip is a fake of a jet superimposed over a ICBM but the question I pose is will we see technology life this in the future?

Yeah, I would say that it is obviously a fake. He was just asking if something similar would be possible in the future.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
yea, japan, the french and americans all tried them.

japan was very successful with this and had 27 of them in service near the end of ww2.

they could travel over 37,000 mles without refueling and could launch 3 aircraft and without having to stop to launch them.

History of submersible aircraft carriers

also the brittish created one from a scrapped monitor class sub. see The M2 - The only submersible aircraft carrier

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by namehere]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
i dont think itll work. you forget. if a dem gets elected well have nothing like that. im all for a dem peing president, but lets have a republican run the military , cause dems have no #ing clue how to

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Interesting find. I have seen later proposals for saucer-shaped VTOL aircraft operating from submarines. I think it came under the WS-606 program or Silver Bug, I'm not sure. The carrier is always the first thing that will get nuked in a full-scale war, IMHO. Submarine carriers would have been an effective countermeasure but they would have just been too costly, complex cumbersome and limited to have been of much use.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjeeeee

I think we already have a winner for the ultimate sea stealth.

Publically known for over 10 years

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by anjeeeee]

Anjeee, are you aware that is a stealth boat and not a submersable aircraft carrier?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
i saw something on the discovery wings channel about something like this. they have a prototype ready and everything and they're gonna test it secretly. they didn't say how it is gonna be launched or by what though

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
they didn't say how it is gonna be launched or by what though

Releasing that type of information, can get someone shot.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lampyridae
Interesting find. I have seen later proposals for saucer-shaped VTOL aircraft operating from submarines. I think it came under the WS-606 program or Silver Bug, I'm not sure. The carrier is always the first thing that will get nuked in a full-scale war, IMHO. Submarine carriers would have been an effective countermeasure but they would have just been too costly, complex cumbersome and limited to have been of much use.

I completely agree - the US has to adress the issue of our carriers being nuked. The only way I see it being cost feasable is if somehow the sub-carrier combined the role of nuclear deterent, and so the US could get rid of the SSNBs and all of their Nimitz class carriers. That would cost a # load of money though.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Back in the 50s or the early 60s the US had a Jet powered Seaplane they experimented with. It didn't go under the surface tho, just took off from the surface.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The size requirements alone for a subcarrier would make it unfeasable.. It would have to be enormous to be able to replace regular carriers.

And as for the video, wouldn't the wings be torn off from the stress of popping out of the water like that? Only way I could see jets taking off from a sub would be VTOL...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join