It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone attacks in Pakistan originating from bases inside Pakistan???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I just read a blog about this...

I am frankly not surprised because the fear of the backlash to the Pakistani people from al Qaeda if this is the case. I have recently thought that the Pakistani gov't. must be allowing it otherwise we would be at war with our "ally" by now.

Mods. I was unsure where to put this so if you need to move it...

It seems that the Washington Post is posting it as fact (in March '08). But it has been implied by the negative response from Pakistan officials that they repudiated the attacks.

Also here is the link to the blog where I found it (to give credit to Noah, the blogger).

I always thought there was more to the story. I will try to dig up some more info.

Note that in the blog Noah links the article from the Washington Post to corroborate this claim besides the comment from Sen. Feinstein.

Why would U.S. and Pakistani officials mislead the public in both countries to assume it is just U.S. action?

And if it is just U.S./CIA action stemming from bases in Pakistan that is like an occupation not a mutual relationship, isn't it? Is the U.S./CIA just holding monies and aid over Pakistan's . to do what they want? And how is this o.k?

I clearly don't know enough but thought maybe some of you could enlighten me... ?

[edit on 13-2-2009 by anyone]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

But senior officials in Pakistan's leading parties are now warning that such unilateral attacks -- including the Predator strikes launched from bases near Islamabad and Jacobabad in Pakistan -- could be curtailed.

"We have always said that as for strikes, that is for Pakistani forces to do and for the Pakistani government to decide. . . . We do not envision a situation in which foreigners will enter Pakistan and chase targets," said Farhatullah Babar, a top spokesman for the Pakistan People's Party, whose leader, Yousaf Raza Gillani, is the new prime minister. "This war on terror is our war."

The above is an excerpt from the Washington Post March '08 article.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
And this is an excerpt directly from Noah Schachtman's blog"

Is the CIA's controversial drone war on Pakistani militants actually being flown out of Pakistan itself?

That's the apparent bombshell dropped Thursday by Senator Diane Feinstein, during a Senate Select Committee on Intelligence hearing. Depending on who you ask, it's either a king-sized security breach, or a ho-hum replay of the press has already reported.

Yesterday, Pakistan's former prime minister became the latest in a long line of high-ranking officials to publicly blast America, for using drone attacks on militants inside their country. On the same day, in a hearing room in the Hart Senate Office Building, Sen. Feinstein "expressed surprise at Pakistani opposition to the ongoing campaign of Predator-launched CIA missile strikes," according to the L.A. Times.

"As I understand it, these are flown out of a Pakistani base," she said.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
the pakastani government is alowing america to do this. they dont want the extremeist groups destabilizing their region and they dont want their people to know that they are letting america attack their border regions, so pakistan has to put a fake hard stance foward while covertly helping america kill militants.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yes they very will could be and the US and Pakistan may have a agreement that the US can/will keep attacking Al Qaeda and the taliban when ever they need to and can find targets.
As long as Pakistan can tell the media that the attack were not authorized by them.

This would help protect the government of Pakistan and at the same time allow the US to continue the attacks

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes, that seems how it is but the reactions are contradictory coming from both countries... people are not stupid and it seems to be counter productive.

That or Pakistan is truly being bullied... for sure from al Qaeda but also most likly U.S.

Pakistan and it's "leadership" seems to be crumbling I just hope that the innocents in this are becoming aware.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
A link from the BBC.

And an excerpt:

Mr Holbrooke's trip to Afghanistan follows a four-day visit to neighbouring Pakistan.

Reports say that in talks with Pakistani leaders he stressed Washington's financial commitments to the country but underlined the need to purge militant sanctuaries in the north-west region, along the Afghan border.

This sounds like a threat to me.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This story reveals the hypocrite nature of Pakistan army which have been involved in massacring of its own people just to please their American's masters. It also provides justification to the cause of militants.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Zardari speaks out about the situation in Pakistan:

Zardari said Pakistan had been in denial about the Taliban in the past. "Our forces weren't increased ... . We have weaknesses and they are taking advantage of that weakness," he said.

Zardari has now put 120,000 soldiers into the fight against the Taliban, despite concerns among many Pakistanis that it is fighting a proxy war for the United States.

"We're not doing anybody a favor," Zardari said. "We are aware of the fact it's ... Taliban... trying to take over the state of Pakistan.

"So, we're fighting for the survival of Pakistan. We're not fighting for the survival of anybody else."

Zardari, who was elected last year after the assassination of his wife Benazir Bhutto in 2007, rejected suggestions that he lacks the full support of the military and intelligence services, saying he was confident they were behind him.

(I placed in bold what I think is most important.)

Basically he is saying he is fighting for the people of Pakistan not the terrorists who are trying to take over the country.

I hope the people of Pakistan agree with Zardari and his partnership with U.S./CIA because now I fear this public statement is going to cause more attacks on the innocent public by the Taliban/al Qaeda.

I can't see how this will end well... or end at all for that matter.

excerpt is from Reuters

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Zardari will be on "60 Minutes" tomorrow (Sun. 15) at 6:00 central time. I think this interview will be a very important one regarding Pakistan and what is happening there.

I thought some might be interested in watching.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Have a star and a flag

these drone attacks over there are getting out of hand,xbox 360 warfare with god mode on for the brave drone pilots!

They have Pakistan by their short and curlies with the carrot of financial investment dangling infront of them

Having said that.

Pakistan is in a tricky situation,I expect there are plenty of pakistan troops and spooks there who are close to the taliban.If they took over power and had the potential to use nukes it would make this one sided war we are living through the TV screeens open up into mushroom clouds ouside our windows

The drone attacks have to stop,the pakistan army should be seen as the only ones laying down the big stick

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Hey, thanks. I was a bit surprised how little attention this thread got when I first posted it. I do think whatever is really going on over there is for sure to get worse.

This is definitely one thing I disagree with Obama on. But I am not the president and there is surely more to this story.

It really does just seem like an excuse to try out the new "toys" though.

-anyone

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Your right my friend,this sure does sound to me like its the perfect excuse to test their new toys!

As the saying goes boys and their toys,I guess some kids just never grow up!

I wonder how many hardware units(Tanks/drones)have been sold to other countries due to the live fire weapons testing demo we have done in Iraq?

Looks like the perfect sales pitch

new topics

top topics

join