It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan admits internal link to Mumbai attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Pakistan admits internal link to Mumbai attacks

m.apnews.com

ISLAMABAD (AP) - Pakistan acknowledged the Mumbai attacks were partly plotted on its soil and announced criminal proceedings against eight suspects, including three alleged ringleaders, in a sign it is heeding U.S. and Indian demands to punish those responsible for the deaths of 164 people.

India called Thursday's announcement a "positive development" and the news was welcomed by Washington, which had feared tensions the attacks triggered between the nuclear-armed neighbors would distract Pakistan from its struggle against the Taliban and al-Qaida.

"I want to assure the international community, I want to assure all those who have been victims of terrorism, that we mean business," Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said at a news conference, while holding up a copy of the findings that were later handed over to India.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Now this is a surprise. I never thought they would admit this.
What ramifications can be expected by such an admission? Are these people being tried in Pakistan going to be extradited to India? If not, would India accept such a proposal? What about the ISI what is there role in this. They had to know this was happening on Pakistani soil. And we all know the ISI funds and supports militant groups in many countries, including some of the 9/11 hijackers. I doubt the trial on Pakistani soil would appease the Indian leadership, and I can already see the accusations of protection by the Pakistani Government due to ISI influence on the proceedings. Such trials would also make backlash from the extremist community in Pakistan a certainty.

m.apnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-2-2009 by projectvxn]

join