It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to stock up on Food/supplies?? Survival Gear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I never starved in my life, however, i spend my childhood day in Soviet Union from 81-92 so i sorta had an idea what its like to grow your food, livestock, and wait in lines with parents for hours just to get something. My parents did a great job feeding me (me being the only child)

Anyhow, right now im 27, and my mind is trying to get into survival mode. I cant help it, its like my body knows of hard times that a coming and its telling me i need to act.

Since i have no survival experience, and at times i wish i had, im thinking i should start looking into stocking up on foods, seeds. Can you guys chime in on how i should be approaching this?

How much food supply should i be estimating?
Should i order few months of MREs?
How do i determine water supply? (i live 15 mins from lake on car)
Canned foods or just MREs would work?
Grains, rice, etc?

I was also debating on getting a rifle and a pistol knife, for hunting if it comes down to it.

Maybe also some camo gear, night vision goggles, and thermal vision goggles. Both of those would benefit greatly for hunting at night... and if worse comes to worse... hiding at night from people or anything.

I have a couple bicycles also for in case of needing to travel in tight places or gas issues.

im hoping to get some ideas here, or where to buy food from to stock up on, or any good links to help with survival ideas, anything would help, thx!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hey Nick,

Forget the MRE.

If your in the country...
Buy a collapsable water filter and purification tablets, fishing pole, high-endurance tent and a good BoB with maps, compass, kinves, tools, first aid, etc. Use the search tool, info is everywhere!

It is better to know how to hunt and cook animals then to save sacks of grain IMHO.

If your in the city.
Solar flashlight, Small caliber pistol, sewage system maps, a good set of cargo pants and a light but sturdy backpack or rucksack with a water bladder. The list is pretty much the same for city survival.

I would stock up on water tho. Both in the city and out.
Everytime your gallon container of milk, juice or 2-liter soda bottle runs out thats can be used to store purified water. I suggest once you clean and refill the container you seal the bottle cap with super glue so it protects it from the outside air.

I would carry night vision in a sit-x just because I want to be able to move in a moments notice in the dark and be aware of my surroundings.

Camo is good to but it depends on the enviorment.

Hope that helps!

[edit on 13/2/2009 by n0b0DY]

[edit on 13/2/2009 by n0b0DY]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NickT916

Do some searches here on the Survival Forum you will find all the information you need and more. These people are great.

As far as food amounts it depends a lot on your individual need. If you do the searches you'll find the actual minimum requirements but you know your body best. Being a small person I require less per day while I allow more for my 6 foot 185 lb. husband. So actually my body makes me more efficient for survival I require way fewer calories to perform just as well. I don't have to carry a large frame while I work. Small people imo will fare better.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
We have been buying a little but here and there when our finances allow us to. So far we have:
A fishing pole, hooks, and wire
Fire wood
Water purification tablets
Strike anywhere matches
Vitamins
4 First aid kits
These thermal blankets that NASA uses (can't remember the name)
Candles
Book of Herbs.. Which ones you can eat and use for medicine
U.S road Atlas
Walkie Talkies
Battery powered AM/FM radio
Self Defense (I don't like going into detail, but everyone should get these things)
Face Masks
Tent
Batteries

All that I have left on my list is the years supply of food. I found one kit online for $1500. I don't know how much you should get of anything because everyone has a different situation, but the things I listed above I think most people will need in the event of a disaster.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I stock a little food now and then.

I have about a months worth. Problem is, we are in severe money troubles so there is no way to buy the stuff we need.

That is why I wish to learn how to make most of it.

I do plan on starting a beehive this spring.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There is a lot of help on the survival threads here. Check it out. Just make sure you are listening to those that have vast amounts of experience. There are many here. angryamerican, northernraider , and myself to name a few.

Stay away from reusing milk jugs. They keep a bacteria that cannot be removed and will cause your water to go bad in a short while.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Thanks for the milk jug heads up. I never knew that but thats a really good thing to know

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
We've been doing this for some time now.

When we go to the store, and things that we eat/use on a regular basis, are on sale, we stock up.

When we make the costco run, we buy things that we use by the case.

I date all my canned goods when I get them and make sure to stock my cupboard so that I decrease the chance of letting anything expire.

I don't think that people should panic and go spend thousands of dollars on emergency preparations. I think that you should gradually increase your rations. Only stock things that you use. Make sure the the things you stock get used in the proper order and restock as necessary.

If you increase your goods gradually, there is not such an impact on your wallet and you figure out how to work this into your lifestyle.

Best of luck.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Stocking food, water, supplies is a must. one essential item is traps. Box type, snap traps, and snares are quiet, effective, and fairly inexpensive.

top topics

join