It's That Time Of Year Again!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It's that time of year again where our favorite auto racing personalities get behind the wheel again. Even though the Daytona 500 is this Sunday, racing season officially got started with a historic Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. With this, the son of the late Mark Donahue, David Donahue held off the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya and Wayne Taylor to claim the first victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona for Brumos Porsche since the 1970s. His victory in the race came almost fourty years after his dad's victory in the same race.

Now for us NASCAR fans, the festivities kicked off last Saturday night with the Budweiser Shootout. The Bud Shootout, formerly known as the Busch Clash, is a gathering of pole winners from the previous Sprint Cup season. Twenty eight drivers participated in this years event. The 2009 edition was won by Kevin Harvick in the #29 Shell/Pennzoil Chevrolet Impala SS for Richard Childress Racing. Even though the Bud Shootout was a great race. It couldn't even come close to the racing that went on during Thursday afternoon's Gatorade Twin 125-Mile qualifying races. Race 1 was won by proud papa Jeff Gordon and that famous #24 DuPont Chevrolet. Meanwhile, Kyle "Wild Thang" Busch took the race two victory over a hard charging Mark Martin in the Kellogs Corn Flakes #5 Chevrolet Impala SS.

Even though it's not too far off, I cannot wait until the start of the F1 season. I mean with Hamilton's historic driving title victory and his defense of that title this year. It should be one Formula 1 season to keep your eyes glued to. Still without a United States Grand Prix, F1 still has something to offer for everyone. Whether it be pit strategy or just shoving somebody out of your way, it's still worth watching like it was back in the 1990s with Schumacher, Damon Hill, and Hakkinen going tooth and nail.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
How in the world did people driving around in circles ever become a sport???

:shk:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Hey GIMME!!!
BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!
GOPHER -CAM!!!!!

Going out later today, for pizza, beer and doritos!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
hahaha...listen to #1!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I just tuned in to watch the Nationwide Series qualifying and was really disappointed to see that they are still running the old car.

Apparently they've pushed back the changeover to the COT till 2010 because of economic pressures.

Too bad I was looking forward to something different for this season.

[edit on 13 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Have fun going to get the stuff later AD!!

Be sure that you save me some please!!!

Larry Mac: Darrell it's getting close to green what's the driver thinking right now?
Dee Dubya: I got to see where my car is best at. Is it better up top, in the middle, or on the bottom. Cause with ten to go with the Daytona 500 and a 2 million plus payday, you are going to be using every single inch of real estate out there. I have to remember that I CANNOT go below those doule yellow lines or I get the non-no flag.
Larry Mac: We are coming out of turn four coming to the green. DRIVER!!! Cinch those belts up as tight as you can possibly get 'em!!!!
Dee Dubya: My hands are sweaty, it's the start of a new season......................

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY BOYS!!! Let's go racin'!!!

That, and Digger is back for another year!!!

reply to post by schrodingers dog

SDog, with the smaller teams that are in the Natiowide/Busch Series. The transition over to the Car of Today from the old car would cause some Busch teams to go bankrupt. Most teams in that series just don't have the funding like what the teams in the Cup Series have. That and the economy are the reasons why NASCAR is pushing the COT for the Nationwide Series back a year.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Man, what a lame way to end a great race.

I know NASCAR had no real choice but it's a real anticlimactic bummer.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's not like the FOX Network couldn't have pushed everything back for two and a half more hours. I do see NASCAR's point of view on it though. That being they could have went back racing for another fifteen to twenty laps after it let up with the rain starting back up after that. However, I do have to give a hand to ol' Matt though. If he wouldn't have went around Sadler and Sorenson, you would have been talking about a Petty 1, 2, & 3 with Allmendinger coming in third. AJ did come in third when it comes down to it.

to Kenseth, Harvick, & Allmendinger for finishing in the Top Three though.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Man, what a lame way to end a great race.

I know NASCAR had no real choice but it's a real anticlimactic bummer.

AGREED!

That completely sucked.
So many things could've changed with over 40 laps to go.
Holy frig the way Kenseth was acting when he found out he won , you'd think he actually drove it right till the end. Tears and everything.
Made me sick.
And I'm sorry, but, the gopher cam was cute last season..but an entire mini animated thing in every pre-show....c'mon. What demographic are you catering to here???A bunch of 5 year olds? Kids are either interested in watching the race or not..without DIGGER.
My gosh, I could polish off a case out of disappointment.
Only good part was a great crash. I love crushed M&M's.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Actually AD, NASCAR did have two desicions to make when the rains came. One decision which they went with was to go ahead and call the race. However, I think that it was a bad desicion on NASCAR's part to call the race even though it was after the halfway point of the race. I never really thought about this until it was brought up. Mike Joy of FOX Sports said that, "NASCAR also has the option of delaying the rest of the race until the track had dried." I mean, after all Daytona does have lights that are used for the night races down there. I guess Mark Martin has to wait until next year now.

Another thing is that the crew chiefs should have been told by NASCAR to keep their mouths shut about the rain that was approaching. With that being said, I'm leading into this with that statement. I have heard so many people blaming Junior for that big wreck that crushed those M&M's. Brian Vickers was also to blame for that wreck. First off, you DO NOT throw blocks like it's ten to go only with seventy five to go. Junior should have also backed off to let Vickers back in line. What can I say though, Vickers must be one of the biggest whiners in NASCAR.

There were two good things about that crash though AD. One was just the fact that the Kyle Busch was involved in it. Second was the lide job that old J.J. did to avoid the crash. As for DIGGER, it was fun last year. With the complete animation this years was just pointless.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

You would think that the biggest race of the season, the one the fans look forward to most of all, that they would have chosen to just delay the race.
Heck I would've waited a few hours to watch the end..what die hard fan wouldn't?
I'll not place blame on who caused the crash, because Iam NO driver and can only speculate. There could be faults in many places that all just coincided together.
Jimmie's little slip out of it..or "under it" was awesome though. He does that a lot.
Not sure if that is just his driving, or Chad whispering in his ear. probably both.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Biggest race of the year and the largest tv audience for a plate race this season. You would have thought that they would have waited for the rains to have stopped so that they could have dried the track. I just don't see why they never take the option of waiting to see if the rains stop after the halfway point of the race. I guess it's where the halfway point makes it an official race. I agree AD, I would've stayed glued to the television like any diehard fan. The people that don't stay glued to the television during the rain delays ain't a diehard fan.

You saying that reminded me of what happened between Old Iron Head and Rustbucket Wallace at Bristol back in 1995. The race itself had been delayed for over an hour and a half because of rain. Dale spun Rusty out early in the race. Rusty had been fuming the rest of the race after that had happened. After the race had finished, Rusty came up and hit Old Iron Head across the nose with a water bottle or something like it.

Now as for Jimmie, I think he does that just to have a little fun with Chad and Rick's nerves.
You know, it is kinda fun to see him just slide a car across the grass to avoid a crash. Besides, Jeff doesn't care what Jimmie does to the cars where Jeff is part owner anyways. After all, Jimmie did have one scary crash at Watkins Glen back in 2000 during the Busch Race up there when his throttle hung.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

Never heard Rusty referred to as "RustBucket" before. hahaha..

Hey Gimme..you know what Junebugs are good for????

SQUISHIN'.

GO JIMMIE GO

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Blah, blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Yeahhhhhhh, we'll see who's best on Sunday after the race is over. It's the Auto Club 500 from Fontana tomorrow AD.

*blows another raspberry*
GO JUNIOR!!!!!!
neener, neener, neener!!!

Hugs AD!!

[edit on 21-2-2009 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400

Blah, blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Yeahhhhhhh, we'll see who's best on Sunday after the race is over. It's the Auto Club 500 from Fontana tomorrow AD.

*blows another raspberry*
GO JUNIOR!!!!!!
neener, neener, neener!!!

Hugs AD!!

[edit on 21-2-2009 by gimmefootball400]

I'll be thinking of you when Junebug hits the wall, buddy.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Have it your way AD.

I'll be thinking of you when Jimmie hangs that left turn to the garage hun.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Have it your way AD.

I'll be thinking of you when Jimmie hangs that left turn to the garage hun.

ahem..yeah..after the champagne in victory lane.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

My thoughts exactly lol. Ooooo! LOOK! They're making a left turnnnn!! OMG! ANOTHER LEFT TURNNNN!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by -NewSense-

Originally posted by skeptic1

My thoughts exactly lol. Ooooo! LOOK! They're making a left turnnnn!! OMG! ANOTHER LEFT TURNNNN!!!

Could YOU drive a stock car on a track with 30+ other cars driving 130 miles an hour , and not crash or hit a wall, and win?
Doubt it.
No stupider than a bunch of grown men in tight pants chasing a ball around.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Well **** on me!
Who could of seen that comin'???
That's what I get for complaining about Kenseth's fake win. He goes and pulls off a real one.

Jimmie didn't do too bad.
So I wonder how the view was from WAY BACK there for Jr.... huh Gimme? lol.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join