It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

An Open Letter to President Obama About the Republicans (From a Former Republican)

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

The lack of cooperation you're getting from the Republican Party will continue. You were right to indulge in a little bit of tokenism when you had to Pastor Rick Warren pray at your inauguration. But if you think that the Republicans in Congress and the Senate are going to do more than their utmost to obstruct everything you are and what you stand for you're dreaming.

As someone who appeared numerous times on the 700 Club with Pat Robertson, as someone for whom Jerry Falwell used to send his private jet to bring me to speak at his college, as an author who had James Dobson giveaway 150,000 copies of my one of my fundamentalist "books" allow me to explain something: the Republican Party is controlled by two ideological groups. First, is the Religious Right. Second, are the neoconservatives. Both groups share one thing in common: they are driven by fear and paranoia. Between them there is no Republican "center" for you to appeal to, just two versions of hate-filled extremes.


www.huffingtonpost.com...

Interesting read there.

Can't say I agree with everything. I am caught between wishing the Democrats had some more backbone, and wishing they could all just get along.

I don't want Obama to just throw in the towel in trying to unite the nation, but he shouldn't change his views just to please the Republicans.




posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
I don't want Obama to just throw in the towel in trying to unite the nation, but he shouldn't change his views just to please the Republicans.


I have a better idea...

How about he change his views to please the Americans?

Who am I kidding... he's a politician.



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore
 


I'm pretty sure he's pleasing some Americans.

Don't you have a hard time trying to please everyone?



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

The lack of cooperation you're getting from the Republican Party will continue. You were right to indulge in a little bit of tokenism when you had to Pastor Rick Warren pray at your inauguration. But if you think that the Republicans in Congress and the Senate are going to do more than their utmost to obstruct everything you are and what you stand for you're dreaming.

....


www.huffingtonpost.com...

Interesting read there.

Can't say I agree with everything. I am caught between wishing the Democrats had some more backbone, and wishing they could all just get along.

I don't want Obama to just throw in the towel in trying to unite the nation, but he shouldn't change his views just to please the Republicans.


The individual writing this is obviously not as Conservative, nor as "Dedicated" a Republican as he attempts to portray himself. It is completely evident through his extremely vicious labelling of Republicans as "Extremists", "Fear Mongers", and so forth. I find it truly hard to believe that someone could so suddenly abandon their core principles, and find the ability to "Make Good" with the complete opposite side of the Spectrum; somehow stab their likewise compatriots square in the back, and yet be a genuine truthsayer. It simply makes no logical sense.

As for you "SadisticWoman", I agree, I wish we could see ourselves more for the Uniting Factor of being Americans, as opposed to Opposing Ideologies within the same camp. If we could all get along, times would be much easier.

However, I must also admit that I am sorely disappointed in the direction which many Democrats are attempting to take this Nation. The "Liberals" of Now-a-days are a completely different breed than those Typically witnessed throughout our American History. Why is it that NOW, more than ever, I am hearing Liberal friends, and Politicians, pushing for and excusing Policies which seem reminiscent of Socialism, and even Communism? Whatever happened to the idea of being a "Progressive"? It now seems that more, and more such individuals are becoming "Oppressive".

"Liberals" were bashing President Bush over supposed Oppression of the 1st Amendment Right to Peacefully Assemble, and the 4th Amendment Right against Unreasonable Searches and Seizures (In Regards to the Patriot Act), YET, many (NOT all though) of these very same individuals are themselves now pushing for "Fairness Doctrines", "Hate Laws", and other 1st Amendment Suppression Acts, as well as setting up Systems for the Government to Systemize and Scrutinize every last facet of ones life (A Violation of the 4th Amendment), AND the want of Limiting the Ownership of Firearms to an EXTREME Degree (A Violation of the 2nd Amendment). Whatever happened to Progressing Freedoms? It seems more however, as if some wish to Regress such Rights and Liberties.

[edit on 2-13-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

The individual writing this is obviously not as Conservative, nor as "Dedicated" a Republican as he attempts to portray himself. It is completely evident through his extremely vicious labelling of Republicans as "Extremists", "Fear Mongers", and so forth. I find it truly hard to believe that someone could so suddenly abandon their core principles, and find the ability to "Make Good" with the complete opposite side of the Spectrum; somehow stab their likewise compatriots square in the back, and yet be a genuine truthsayer. It simply makes no logical sense.

As for you "SadisticWoman", I agree, I wish we could see ourselves more for the Uniting Factor of being Americans, as opposed to Opposing Ideologies within the same camp. If we could all get along, times would be much easier.

However, I must also admit that I am sorely disappointed in the direction which many Democrats are attempting to take this Nation. The "Liberals" of Now-a-days are a completely different breed than those Typically witnessed throughout our American History. Why is it that NOW, more than ever, I am hearing Liberal friends, and Politicians, pushing for and excusing Policies which seem reminiscent of Socialism, and even Communism? Whatever happened to the idea of being a "Progressive"? It now seems that more, and more such individuals are becoming "Oppressive".

"Liberals" were bashing President Bush over supposed Oppression of the 1st Amendment Right to Peacefully Assemble, and the 4th Amendment Right against Unreasonable Searches and Seizures (In Regards to the Patriot Act), YET, many (NOT all though) of these very same individuals are themselves now pushing for "Fairness Doctrines", "Hate Laws", and other 1st Amendment Suppression Acts, as well as setting up Systems for the Government to Systemize and Scrutinize every last facet of ones life (A Violation of the 4th Amendment), AND the want of Limiting the Ownership of Firearms to an EXTREME Degree (A Violation of the 2nd Amendment). Whatever happened to Progressing Freedoms? It seems more however, as if some wish to Regress such Rights and Liberties.

[edit on 2-13-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]


It's all seen in a much more simple light when you realize everyone is hypocritical. Not a single person in the world has beliefs that all line up with each other.

Neither the conservatives nor the liberals are doing much good for anyone lately. I want bipartisanship for Americans, not the politicians.

My beliefs may be closer to "HECK YES SOCIALISM" but no government should be taken to its true and extreme form. It should be form fitted to the public which it serves.



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
here's what I don't get.

Where were all these Democrats interested in bipartisanship for the last 8 years?

Nice to see you again. It's been a while.



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I am convinced that Obama will be obstructed in absolutely everything he tries to do in office. There's no doubt in my mind. That's how the game is played. Why anyone would volunteer to play is far beyond me.



posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ConservativeJack
 


Probably in the same place Rush Limbaugh is right now, I think.

Some of us were fair, though. But a lot of us were too young to be fair, since we'd never known any other type of government well enough. A good bit of the voters from 2008 who were vocal in previous years against Bush had just turned 18. All we knew was that something was wrong and that we weren't in the America of our childhood.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join