It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 18,000 Mercenaries in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Baghdad - At least 80 foreign mercenaries - security guards recruited from the United States, Europe and South Africa and working for American companies - have been killed in the past eight days in Iraq.
Lieutenant-General Mark Kimmitt admitted yesterday that "about 70" American and other Western troops had died during the Iraqi insurgency since April 1 but he made no mention of the mercenaries, apparently fearful that the full total of Western dead would have serious political fallout.

The Star (South Africa )

At least 18 000 mercenaries, many of them tasked to protect US troops and personnel, are now believed to be in Iraq, some of them earning $1 000 (about R6 300) a day. But their companies rarely acknowledge their losses unless - like the four American murdered and mutilated in Fallujah three weeks ago - their deaths are already public knowledge. *But although many of the heavily armed Western security men are working for the US Department of Defense - and most of them are former Special Forces soldiers - they are not listed as serving military personnel. Their losses can therefore be hidden from public view.*

"Military Contractor" does sound so much more genteel, but they stand as a battalion in both numbers & deeds.

Outsourcing is a bear, huh? Given the fact that the foreign policy of 'shoot first, diplomacy second' is entrenched with this administration, if they win or are placed for a second term and new recruits wisely look elsewhere for college funding than the cannon fodder military, be prepared to see the realization of corporate warfare, literally, as described in various sci-fi & video game story lines.

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
it's seretech all over again.

This sets dangerous precedent- where does one make the distinction between a private security firm and mercenaries? Or between a corporate military and corporate 'security'?

DE

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That these mercs can't get the job done and that a united military front would work much better. We don't need a bunch of chiefs and a few indians, we need a bunch of indians and a few chiefs. When you hire mercs you hire their management and all you get is a cluster f..k

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
could it be the actions of mercenaries that incite the resistance in Iraq?

little things like the pic of the soldier and kids holding a questionable sign?

that's a large number of mercenaries, I wonder whose rules of engagement do they follow???

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
with all that said, i'd like to add that with all them there running around theres just gonna be more bodies to fuel the war. when is our guberment gonna actually do something about this.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Upgraded and bumped.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A disturbing trend that we are constantly bringing fantasy into reality. Maybe whether we like it or not. The human imagination mayhave an uncanny ability that just might not really be imagination but foresight. Things exist only because there was a thought that IT COULD exist, thus fullfilling the idea to become a reality.

I strongly believe there is a cycle to thought creation, it might take 1 person to "spawn" the idea, 1 or 2 more people to refine the concept and maybe 3 or 4 people to "solve" it. Its just a matter of getting the "chain" to work on the same idea.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That's easy Mr. Bush.....

1. dead merc. = not on KIA record
2. war crimes = not on record
3. code of conduct = none

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by Hoaks]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
could it be the actions of mercenaries that incite the resistance in Iraq?

Probably:

"Those Blackwater guys," says an intelligence officer in Iraq, "they drive around wearing Oakley sunglasses and pointing their guns out of car windows. They have pointed their guns at me, and it pissed me off. Imagine what a guy in Fallujah thinks." Adds an Army officer who just returned from Baghdad, "They are a subculture."
www.time.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
this isnt new, these mercenaries are everywhere, colombia is another big area for mercenaries, its like the french foreign legion really- kind of.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
While mercenaries are usually just a pain for proper military commanders, I think this war is probably more suited to them. I don't hear anything here to the effect that in fact, many of the fighters on the other side are indeed mercenaries themselves...

The enemy is not going to follow any of the rules generally accepted by the world regarding the commission of a ground war, and as such, compulsory adherence to these rules will prove a liability in combat. Someone is going to win this war, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that in the end it was the corporations. I think that was part of the initial intent, anyway.

I have to agree with DeusEx... it sets a precedent for private para-military endeavors. Actually this precedent has already been set by corporations hiring ex special teams commanders and crews for the purpose of body snatch operations in hostile areas, but never before have they been engaged in combat, that I am aware.

I think Iraq will turn out to be the hot spot of hot spots for an indeterminable future, but a long one. I think we may have also sparked a greater powderkeg as well...

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I cant belive they are being classified as Mercenaries cos mercanaries steal and kill for money dont they?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
I cant belive they are being classified as Mercenaries cos mercanaries steal and kill for money dont they?

No, that's a pirate. Mercenaries don't steal for the money, only kill.

DC

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Just a thought,
www.sandline.com...

I love their Discl'
"Please note that we only accept inquiries concerning possible employment from individuals with extensive previous experience in the military, police and other relevant occupations. We do not offer internships or other posts which would necessitate training in core skills. Due to the high volume of messages received we are unable to respond to inquiries which do not conform with this statement."

Last sentence..."Due to the high volume of messages received we are unable to respond to inquiries which do not conform with this statement."

WHAA?

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I heard an interview on BBC News that many of these mercanaries were ex-servicemen who had changed to private security because its better paid. US Army officials are desperate to stop this loss of servicemen. Also many servicemen are leaving to become security consultants for rich businessmen and famous people.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
One obvious benefit that i can see for an empire using mercenaries is the fact that they are remorseless killers.
The regular army is full of kids wanting college money, or an escape from smalltown USA.
The Mercenary units are comprised of money hungry thrill seekers that find thrill in dealing death.

(BTW, what the hell is robertfenix talking about?)

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Upgraded and bumped.

What does that mean
Upgraded and bumped?

I recently saw on FOX News that 30,000 Iranians a week were crossing the border to fight the Americans. This is a paraphrase from Colonel David Hunt on the O'Rielly Factor. If it close to truth we shall shortley be outnumbered and surrounded. Colonel Hunt never revealed his source and I have been unable to cororabarate his claim

top topics

join