It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unredacted Documents Reveal Prisoners Tortured to Death (Previously Classified)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Unredacted Documents Reveal Prisoners Tortured to Death (Previously Classified)

rawstory.com

The American Civil Liberties Union has released previously classified excerpts of a government report on harsh interrogation techniques used in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay. These previously unreported pages detail repeated use of "abusive" behavior, even to the point of prisoner deaths.

The documents, obtained by the ACLU under a Freedom of Information Act request, contain a report by Vice Admiral Albert T. Church, who was tapped to conduct a comprehensive review of Defense Dept...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aclu.org
www.aclu.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush, Rumsfeld should be pursued for torture: UN rapporteur
Cheney's Remarks Fuel Torture Debate
Cheney, Rice Approved Use of Waterboarding, Other Interrogation Tactics
Cheney confirms that detainees were subjected to water-boarding. W/Garphic Video!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

...interrogation operations. Church specifically calls out interrogations at Bagram Air base in Afghanistan as "clearly abusive, and clearly not in keeping with any approved interrogation policy or guidance."

White House Lies About Torture! Point Blank!

Congressman Chris Shays: No Torture at Abu Ghraib

The CIA, Torture, and George Tenet's Body Language

Perino Defends Lying for Bush Administration About Torture and Lies While Doing It

Can there be any doubt now that they lied through their teeth when asked whether they were torturing detainees with ILLEGAL techniques?

NO, there can't. It's right there in the now unclassified documents.

Read it for yourself:

www.aclu.org...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dick Cheney Admits To Use Of Torture

Commentator is right.

Cheney says he hasn't changed mentality, meaning he'd do just the same before 911.

How did this man ever get elected?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

Justice Department probe blasts Bush lawyers over 'torture' memos

Ex-Bush administration lawyers who crafted the legal framework for waterboarding and other interrogation tactics – and assert that they do not constitute torture – may be on the verge of a bit of legal trouble themselves.

At least three former top Bush lawyers face possible disciplinary action from state bar associations for what a former Justice Department official has called "deeply flawed" and "sloppily reasoned" legal analysis.

Jay Bybee and John Yoo – who wrote last month that Bush's torture programs were initially designed to outwit crafty defense attorneys – have been "sharply criticized" in an internal Justice Department report, according to Newsweek. A draft of the report from the Office of Professional Responsibility, the department's watchdog unit, was submitted during the waning days of the Bush administration, but former Attorney General Michael Mukasey objected to it, according to the story.

This is what kills me. All the pussyfooting around. Illegal is ILLEGAL. Those attorneys ought to be barred for life, and what's more ought to be brought up on accessory to murder charges for every single one of those deaths caused by torture. After all, it was these attorneys who cleared the way for this program to be disseminated downstream, finally ending up in the hands of the barbaric soldiers who committed the acts. Sick.

God I hate attorneys, especially the ones behind this. All about the money. None about what is right and wrong. Fire them all and start over with some honest ones. Good luck finding one.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
CIA Crucified Captive In Abu Ghraib Prison

www.legitgov.org...

The Central Intelligence Agency crucified a prisoner in Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, according to a report published in The New Yorker magazine.

“A forensic examiner found that he (the prisoner) had essentially been crucified; he died from asphyxiation after having been hung by his arms, in a hood, and suffering broken ribs,” the magazine’s Jane Mayer writes in the magazine’s June 22nd issue. “Military pathologists classified the case a homicide.” The date of the murder was not given.

“No criminal charges have ever been brought against any C.I.A. officer involved in the torture program, despite the fact that at least three prisoners interrogated by agency personnel died as a result of mistreatment,” Mayer notes.

An earlier report, by John Hendren in The Los Angeles Times, indicated other torture killings. And Human Rights First says nearly 100 detainees have died in U.S. custody in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hendren reported that one Manadel Jamadi died “of blunt-force injuries” complicated by “compromised respiration” at Abu Ghraib prison “while he was with Navy SEALs and other special operations troops.” Another victim, Abdul Jaleel, died while gagged and shackled to a cell door with his hands over his head.” Yet another prisoner, Maj. Gen. Abid Mowhosh, former commander of Iraq’s air defenses, “died of asphyxiation due to smothering and chest compression” in Qaim, Iraq.

"There is no question that U.S. interrogations have resulted in deaths," says Anthony Romero, executive director of the ACLU. "High-ranking officials who knew about the torture and sat on their hands and those who created and endorsed these policies must be held accountable. America must stop putting its head in the sand and deal with the torture scandal." At least scores of detainees in U.S. custody have died and homicide is suspected. As far back as May, 2004, the Pentagon conceded at least 37 deaths of prisoners in its custody in Iraq and Afghanistan had prompted investigations.

So since forced confessions mean nothing, and it has been proven over and over that torture gets you nowhere, why do they bother putting someone through all this pain and misery? Why don't they just take them outside, line them up and shoot them? Bullets too expensive?

If torture worked, then why did the CIA opt to not torture Saddam, and instead gain his confidence slowly when they held him captive for so long before shipping him off to be hung in Iraq?

[edit on Mon Jul 13th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

So since forced confessions mean nothing, and it has been proven over and over that torture gets you nowhere, why do they bother putting someone through all this pain and misery? Why don't they just take them outside, line them up and shoot them? Bullets too expensive?

Ahhh - but Forced Confessions mean everything to the common man - they reassuringly reinforce every lie that was told to them.

As the Talking Heads used to say - "same as it ever was!"

Now the real difference today - the thing most world citizens are quite unaware of - is that lie detection technology is finally reached a level of feasibility with current technology.

And when you combine a multi-faceted lie detector - with torture - you actually do Get Results!

While I am not an advocate of torture - I'm just saying that there is a way to get to the bottom of False Flags - if only we are willing to hold our (current or former) representatives accountable!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
And when you combine a multi-faceted lie detector - with torture - you actually do Get Results!

Well if this multi-faceted lie detector is so good, why in the world do you even need to add inhuman, degrading, painful, immoral, illegal, and sometimes deadly TORTURE into the mix???

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Good grief, here we go again.

I don't think anyone but the hardest of hard core military haters are interested any more.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Military haters? How about those who support the rule of law? You can't just dismiss all the information in this thread because it may not look good to you. I don't hate the military. I have family in the military. This isn't about them, this is about former and maybe current political leadership being guilty of ordering what amounts to sadistic criminal acts.

"military haters"
Grow up, it's time to have a real conversation.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Retseh

Military haters? How about those who support the rule of law?

Amen brudda projectvxn!

Perfect answer to another person in denial.

Also, this thread was originally from February, but seeing as this new post above and story directly supports the OP, I added it here instead of starting a new thread. I'd hate to be accused of trolling, but of course everyone knows I am the Grand Poohba Troll.

[edit on Mon Jul 13th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If torture worked, then why did the CIA opt to not torture Saddam, and instead gain his confidence slowly when they held him captive for so long before shipping him off to be hung in Iraq?

If torture worked, it would be legal! Legal torture would have many uses other than militarily. Domestic law enforcement would be over using this, as they do with all their tools.

The fact is, torture is not legal, so it's effectiveness is neither relevant, nor defensible. The US has been at the forefront, not only in the creation of international anti torture laws, but also in prosecuting those nations found breaking them in the past.

Having such a historically strong position on anti torture policy, the US hardly has room for excusing their violations. I cringe with embarrassment when I hear the Bush administration claiming valid reasons for breaking laws. If we are to be a respected nation under the rule of law, only when all laws are upheld can we claim that respect. Basic rule of law 101! So stop humiliating us, Cheney! Dumb ass!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Mod note: Warning issued, personal commentary removed. You know better. Stop trolling. -- Majic

[edit on 7/13/2009 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I care about the rule of law. I know one way to get Dick Cheney talking, torture him. Oh, wait, we don't do that.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Good grief, here we go again.

I don't think anyone but the hardest of hard core military haters are interested any more.

Wow really? Two illegal wars, treason, a destroyed economy, and now the majority of the "evidence" that caused these things to happen is the result of lies, torture, and murder. Yet, we're hardcore military haters because we're pissed off about this?

I just want to know when these #ers go to trial. They never will because this government and world are wholly corrupt but I want to see Cheney and Bush swinging from ropes.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Heh, actually some would argue that it's not relevant, true, except the reason they would state is that the "Saddam" that was supposedly captured was not the real Saddam at all. It was one of his stand in body doubles. His wife even said this. The biggest clue is in the teeth, all crooked on the captured Saddam, but all nice and perfect in the real Saddam. The real Saddam also had a visible overbite.

www.apfn.net...

Of course the real Saddam is probably in Dubai somewhere living like the king Tyrant he is. There is speculation that when Bush went to Iraq, just a few weeks before the fake Saddam's capture, he actually extracted the real Saddam out of Iraq on Air Force One, along with choice treasures from the regime. A 747 can carry mucho cargo, ya know.

Remember, the public gets one story, while behind the scenes the real story plays out. Just like with Bin Laden. The global elite protect their own...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by TruthMagnet

Well if this multi-faceted lie detector is so good, why in the world do you even need to add inhuman, degrading, painful, immoral, illegal, and sometimes deadly TORTURE into the mix???

Well - like in the movie Man on Fire - it is for when they refuse to answer the question (or to answer it honestly).

Heck you can use the simple yet effective torture of waterboarding to get them to finally fess up - you simply need to know when they are being accurate for it to be meaningful.

You know - I'm no advocate of torture - I'm a Christian - but if your a suspicious white male who possibly ordered Norad to stand down at the cost of 3,000+ Americans - well - sometimes the rule of law doesn't necessarily apply to you!

Truth Activists need to embrace these new lie detector technologies - so that we can hold our public SERVANTS accountable for THEIR actions!

Be assured that quietly, secretly, they will use these techniques on us especially when the shtf...

But they (tptb) want the public to remain highly ignorant about current gen Lie Detection tech - that's why you see completely unreliable devices like the Polugraph machine still pushed so ludicrously across a wide spectrum of media...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Lol, I can't figure out if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but that's ok...I think I get the gist of it.

However, two wrongs don't make a right. I'd be up for putting all testimony received by Bush, Cheney, et al to the latest and greatest lie detector test. But I'd save the torture until after they fail it. Miserably.
Maybe we can find a way to have 3 wrongs make a right...

new topics

top topics

join