It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SURPRISE! Dems Break Promise: Stimulus Bill to Floor Friday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by RRconservative
What we need is a good old fashioned filibuster. Where is Strom Thurmond when you need him? Better yet maybe we can find a few Democrats with a conscience?

can't find a few Democrats with a conscience?

This is sad, what is happening to people?

I don't know if it's a matter of finding any Democrats with a conscience as much as it would be political suicide for any Democrat to vote against the stimulus package.

Any Democrat that votes against this thing today will earn some respect in my book.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
Repubs still bitter: Intend on posting bitter threads for next 4 years.

:shk: When ever Obama or the dems in congress get caught with their pants down, these folks always come out with the 'ohhh .. they are just bitter .. or sour grapes ...'.

No, sadisticwoman, Obama promised TRANSPARENCY. And this ain't it.

Obama's 509 promises

Promise #243 is broken

To reduce bills rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them, Obama "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

This is not 'emergency' legislation. Most of the money won't be spent for 2 years.

Obama truth-o-meter

[edit on 2/13/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Please Stay On Topic

It has been necessary to remove some of the more rude and off-topic posts from this thread. Further digressions may result in removal of posts, temporary post bans or permanent account bans. Members who've been here long enough to know better, please take notice.

A Call To Action: Ending The Political Game on ATS

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You all keep going back and forth about what the dems are like, and what the republicans would do. Fact is; dems and reps are the same freakin team. If either side had an interest in the rights of American citizens they would have done something, spoken out about the wrong doings within the government. As a whole they're all crooks.
Quit taking sides and realize it's us (the people), and them (TPTB)
This is supposed to be a conspiracy site where people can discuss and maybe get to the bottom of things yet the whole "republicrat" thing still hasn't hit you in the forehead. Get over it, neither side has proven to do any good in the long run. this isn't the super bowl, bet on dems or reps to win the game for us and you'll lose.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by patent98310

This is why I generalize with the phrase "yahoos in DC".

No, neither party is better than the other and power corrupts each equally, it seems. But, this is on the Dems' shoulders.....all during a time promised to be characterized by "change", "hope", and "transparency".

It is just business as usual up there.....

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
This is not 'emergency' legislation.

Yes, it is.

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Designates:
(1) each amount in this Act as an emergency requirement, necessary to meet certain emergency needs in accordance with the FY2008-FY2009 congressional budget resolutions;

Open Congress

link   

What we need is a good old fashioned filibuster. Where is Strom Thurmond when you need him? Better yet maybe we can find a few Democrats with a conscience?

I am with you! This is a Hoax on stupid Americans. We deserve everything we get! We are the most gullible people on the face of the earth.
We have been scammed into giving our children over into war for their blood money sacrifice's as they loot every penny we have. Then they dance around Obama and he that doesn't even fit the requirements to be president. He been groomed by the elite. He is a front man like Clinton & Bush.
12 lawsuits and 4 in the supreme court all thrown out. We are corrupt to the bone! And we are going to pay for becoming the most corrupt, selfish, money hungry, arrogant, no it all (who knows nothing) society on the planet!
This world makes me sick!

link   
reply to post by patent98310

I perfer to look at it this way. Red team, blue team - same game. The stadium owners the game is played in rake in the cash no matter who wins.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Calling it an emergency doesn't make it so.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

You know Republicans and Democrats cash the same checks with the same government seal on them.... It's funny how at this point in this shape the country is in you still stand up and side with a political party.....
These people have sold you off Republicans and Democrats..alike...yet like a spirit broken dog you just tuck your tail and fall in line with your favorite political scam artist.... Wake up man these people work for a outta control government they wear different colors but are on the same team

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Well, I'm sure there are many different opinions as to whether this is an emergency bill or not, but I'm going to take the word of the document itself.

Division 1

3 SEC. 5. EMERGENCY DESIGNATIONS.
4 (a) IN GENERAL.-Each amount in this Act is des-
5 ignated as an emergency requirement and necessary to
6 meet emergency needs pursuant to section 204(a) of S.
7 Con. Res. 21 (110th Congress) and section 301(b)(2) of
8 S. Con. Res. 70 (110th Congress), the concurrent resolu-
9 tions on the budget for fiscal years 2008 and 2009.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

So every time they want to ignore the constitution and the Federal Reserve Act, they will call it an emergency.

Hey if that is all it takes to make you happy with the $3.27 TRILLION that you and your progeny will have to pay, keep on believing it!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The bill is Right Here

Division A (pdf)
Division B (pdf)

Don't talk about that, if people admit that it is online, they won't be able to complain about that. The republicans in office must not know how to read something on a computer, and are probably complaining because Obama did not personally hand paper copies of the bill to them.

Notice how no one acknowledges that it is available? While continuing to complain about other things?

We are talking politicians here, they are all politicians. Don't forget that. And while we are at it, let's not forget who pushed through the last bill for the bankers. Who was that? politicians, on both sides. At least this one, has the POSSIBILITY of helping those of us who need it.

Please folks, we are being divided by all of this, which just takes away from what the USA is all about.

United we stand, Divided we fall.

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

If you really think the crazies in D.C. are trying to change our way of life. Then I suggest you stop voting and pick up a pitch fork and join the thousands that are growing day by day and have a good ole fashion pitch fork protest in D.C. and invite every politician and lobbiest to come have a front row seat on the bon fire we build...

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

It's not that the bill went up TODAY, it's that the bill is so very large that neither those who actually vote for it, nor the public will have the time to read and digest it before the vote occurs.

The document properties clearly state
Created 2/12/2009 11:44:51 pm
Modified 2/13/2009 12:38:06 am

This is not the promise made regarding transparency, and if my government is ultimately charging me and the rest of my countrymen and women $3.27 Trillion (as reported by the Congressional Budget Office) I feel I have the right to read it and then call my congress critters to discuss/complain about the parts I don't agree with.

Like the $30 Million going to save a MOUSE in San Francisco wetlands - just how many jobs is that going to create???

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The bill is Right Here

Division A (pdf)
Division B (pdf)

Heh - good for you BH.

You know it honestly doesn't surprise me that some on both sides are claiming to have never seen it.

I'm just judging by where I work (a fortune 500 co).

Usually I send out whatever documents I'm wanting to conduct a meeting about several days beforehand for review and ask for any questions and comments.

I also include it in the meeting invite, (along with a link to the original), along with bullet points of topcis for discussion.

Come the meeting there are always several who gasp in surprise..
"What is this?!?!" "I've NEVER seen it before!!" "Where can I get a copy of it?!?!"

I'm actually not surprised..

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm hoping this thing don't go through. I know there are a lot of people out there who can't wait to get their hands on a check from the government, but I don't think people realize that while the extra cash is great, it will make the price of everything go up! What would you rather.. an extra $600 or whatever it is, or pay $10 for a gallon of milk or loaf of bread???? I say tell all of those thieves to shove their measly checks and FIX what THEY BROKE!! Not give us some cash so we stay quiet for a couple months.. This is worse then hush money!!! I'm totally livid about this

link   
I am posting my rants about it, that I put on another threadwww.abovetopsecret.com... -

here are the rants from the thread - so I don't have to retype them - telling you WHAT I THINK OF THIS:

1st rant:

I am SO PO'D about it!!!!!!1

I have been on the phone with my govt. officals - ONE FOR 20 MINUTES!

They PROMISED a 48 hour on net, so people can look at it,,,,,

THEY BROKE THAT PROMISE!!

I have emailed Pelosi, Obama and have been on the phone!

I have let them know what I think of them!!

I also said, I was a Democrat - and I told Obama - he is NO BETTER THAN BUSH!! by allowing THE BROKEN PROMISE!!

Also, know one knows what is in it, it has over 1000 pages.

They are going to try and RAM ROD it through the Senate today too, I understand from my Congressman (R)

CALL YOUR GOVT OFFICALS ----------------NOW!

NO VOTE - LIVE UP TO PROMISE!!!

THIS IS NOT RIGHT!!!

my second posting on other thread:

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH PELOSI OFFICE AND I CALLED THE WHITE HOUSE!

I yelled on the phone AT THEM!!!

HOW DARE THEM - PUSH THIS BILL THROUGH!

I TOLD OBAMA HE WAS BUSH THE 3RD!!

HE IS NOT THE "CHANGE" WE VOTED FOR!!

I TOLD PELOSI - WHAT SHE COULD DO WITH HERSELF - AND HOW SHE BROKE A PROMISE!

I am listening to CSPAN - NO ONE HAS READ IT!!

We are getting ROYALLY SCREWED!!

Oh yea - if you can't tell I am --cking MAD!!!!!!!

I am ready for complete and total demonstrations - I even told my Congress person - millions need to DEMONSTRATE!

Oh, yea - I wouldn't be surprised if they come and get me in the middle of the night!!!!!!!!!!

I am not afraid to tell them - and have told them - it is NOT "for the people or by the people" anymore!!

They are ALL BOUGHT AND SOLD!!

--CK THEM!

my third rant on the other thread:

The fact that the "law" of a bill has to be out for THREE DAYS before it is voted on, which a Rep (R) brought up..
The guy - in place of Pelosi - said "Oh Well" Pelosi is taking that OUT right now!! NOT IN AFFECT FOR THIS BILL!!!

I begged my Rep on the phone - for him to GET UP and SAY - constituants are calling DEMANDING THE 48 HOURS - EVERY Congress person voted for!!!

When that was brought up on the floor - the controlling person - said "NOT ENFORCABLE!""

UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my fourth rant on the other thread:

A FRIGGIN GOLF COURSE AND "GREEN GOLF CARTS" IN BILL!!

UUUURRRRRRRRRRRR - not a one liner!!!

Now something original on this thread:

an 8 billion dollar "gambling train" LA to Vegas

friggin ___holes!

link   

Originally posted by redhatty
I feel I have the right to read it and then call my congress critters to discuss/complain about the parts I don't agree with.

You mean you can't just call your congressman and tell him you want him to vote against it? Is there something that would make you change your mind?

Like the $30 Million going to save a MOUSE in San Francisco wetlands - just how many jobs is that going to create???

The words wetlands, mouse and mice are not found in the bill.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

Did you bother looking into this at all. They (democrats) said they would post it 48 hrs before it was brought to the floor. Then they post it at 11pm last night (Thursday the 12th) and want to bring it to the floor for vote today (Friday the 13th). It is over 1000 pages in length! - You good at speed reading?

Here is a novel idea - maybe they (our public servants) should not be voting on laws over a 1000 pages in length without knowing what is in it. And furthermore it should be made public long enough before the vote so we the people may look it over and write our REPRESENTATIVE and let them know our thoughts on the proposed bill.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! The left and right, The Democrats and Republicans, are a scam created to divide and conquer! AGAIN - WAKE THE HELL UP!

[edit on 13-2-2009 by 2 cents]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join