It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YAY! A cure for my Cold!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Genetic map of cold virus a step toward cure, scientists say...

Researchers have solved the first step in treating the common cold, by mapping its entire genome, or genetic map, teams from the University of Maryland and the University of Wisconsin-Madison reported Thursday.

By mapping the genome of the common cold and assembling the results into a "family tree," scientists can see how the virus strains are related, as well as their differences. Liggett, who is also the study's senior author, says this is a breakthrough in solving the common cold puzzle because. "At least now we have an understanding of which virus one might have."

Now that the pieces are together, drug companies can work on developing new treatments that would either halt or prevent the cold virus before it begins to spread.

edition.cnn.com...

Considering i'm sitting here with the worst cold i've had in years...i would welcome anything that makes it go away.
:w:

Guzzles more OJ.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

From experiance, a good hot curry does the trick for a few hours.

I recormend a madrass! yum yum

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

No!

You can feel better by loading up on vitamin c and zinc lozenges. That should shorten the length of the cold. And girl, make sure and eat. Eat protein and fat, no carbs!

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us informed.

-Dev

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

i have drank a gallon ( literally) of oj...and lots of chicken soup with fresh garlic..vampires beware
zinc lozenges..i know they work but they taste like ****!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This may sound wierd, but here's a chicken soup recipe I use when first getting a cold. Dramatically lessen's the effect and duration, if it doesn't kill the cold outright....

Cabbage (I know, but seriously, you won't even taste it. I can't stand cabbage, but this works fine in this dish...trust me...it's all about the medicinal properties in it, it eventually turns clear, and you won't even see or taste the cabbage)

Chicken (I usually sautee it in a pan before adding to the soup)

Chicken Broth (get the kind that has added garlic) and Chicken Buillion

Seasoning Vegetables (you can get it in the frozen section, has onions, peppers in it, diced into cubes)

Carrots

Egg Noodles

Combine all and bring to a boil, then down to medium, and let simmer for about 10 minutes or so.... Yum, yum.... Clears the sinuses too....

And with any sickness, stay hydrated (I personally like sports drinks)

[edit on 13-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i never heard of using cabbage! wow...learn something new everyday.
i need to look that up.
it sounds delish enough to make even when i'm not sick.
mmmmmmmmmm......
as for staying hydrated..definitely..water, oj, and my favorite pomegranate juice.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yep...I make it all the time.

The peppers in it certainly clear the sinuses....

I left out Celery as an ingredient...oops...usually add this too...though the seasoning blend vegetables include this as well...

[edit on 13-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i would add more celery anyway...and tons of garlic.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A little simple mix for symptom relief of chest and bronchial congestion

whatever portion you make, go half celery and half pineapple. Put some water in and make a drink of it. It isn't the best tasting drink I've ever had but it can help

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

yes..pineapple is good too.
believe it or not, i'm still fighting this stupid thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good news and bad news:

Sorry all but your cures aren't really cures at all. They merely feed you and your immune systems what they need to protect to body from attack. That is something you should be doing anyways. The symtoms you feel are a direct result of your immune system going on the attack. Mucus, fever and fatigue are the immune system's fault, not the viral or bacterial infection.

The best way to fight the common cold is to avoid it all together. Whether you are sick or feel the cold coming on, the best way to stop it is to aggogate you systems, preventing new infections from taking hold. There are some simple products on the market which will help.

Start with "Simply Saline" to arrogate your sinuses. As you breathe in your nose mites, bacterias, molds, dust, viruses, pollens and more are filtered out by the hair and mucus in your sinuses before the air is deposited in your lungs. That debris irritates your sinuses and causes them to produce a mucus membrane which then drips down the back of your throat and then into your broncial tubes and then into your lungs where it causes infections to begin. By using this clean saline fluid you merely flush out the bad stuff before it becomes menacing.

Next, change your diet to a high fiber one (vegies, salads and snacks like Triscuits). Clean your digestive tract so that nothing stays long enough to rot and in so, poisons you. Stomach flus kill more people each year than the common head cold. Stomach flus cause diareaha and vomiting which causes dehydration and that can kill you. 300+ people each year in the USA die from diareaha and vomiting.

Finally, clean yourself and the living space around you.

I know this helps if you use it.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Never said it was a cure. It's common to treat symptoms to help avoid misery, hence all these little 'cures' popped up.

Good luck OP

-Kyo

top topics

join