It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technological Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hello All,

With the increasing emphasis on traditional survival techniques & methods, I started thinking ...

Computers & technology are very much a part of normal day life but how does this transpire to a survival situation?

In the SitX our survival may depend on our own ability to utilise radios, computers, the internet, GPS systems and more.

Knowledge of electronic security systems, emergency radio channels and general electronics may help our plight.

I was just wondering if this is an area in which anyone has given any specific thought and if anyone can provide more definite answers then I would love to hear it

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
In a martial law type situation, the FIRST action the PTB take, would be shutting down the internet. They probably already have the means in place to do this. (Explosives at backbone hubs, maybe?) So no need for computers.

2nd, take out the power grid, (still, prob an easy job, hitting key transfer stations causing a massive nationwide blackout).

And I'm sure the technology is there to cause a nationwide jamming of am/fm/sw signals.

Information is power, right, so deny the enemy any power.

No, I think tech's gonna be the least of our assets when TSHTF.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sorry- double post.

[edit on 12/2/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It has been suggested that the internet will be replaced by old station-to-station modems (I guess the analogy would be 2-way radio over cell-phone tech.)

Unfortunately this method of comms relies on existing LOC and phone lines are just as prone to control, assuming EMP has not already fried your computer.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

The one form of communication in the UK that doesn't get shut down in an emergency is the phone-box, as they are designated 'category 1' meaning a top tier essential service

I have no idea how it would work in practice, but I imagine it would be easy enough for an electonics wiz to adapt an old dial-up modem to exchange data through the phonebox handset to a member of another survie group at the other end of the country

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I for one expect some broadband wireless systems to still be operational if martial law is instated.
I mean if the PTB shutdown the internet in a paticular area then that makes the both the defending and opposing force's comm equipment useless...Not all but some.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've said this before and taken heat from it, but I will stand by it. You don't need your phone, gps, blackberry, computer in a survival situation. What you do need is knowledge, persistence, and a will to survive. A small shortwave radio might be nice for entertainment.

If you plan on starting the evolution then start it and forget about what others are doing. Don't just jump on the bandwagon and do what others are saying they are doing.

People have survived forever without electronic dodads, I think we can get by for while longer.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
All electrical comms systems are so vulnerable, its not just the SITX knocking out systems but as has been shown on 911 and 7/7 very often the govt turns off the systems to make it hard for the terrs to communicate, plus govts frequently jam radio systems, alter or turn off GPS systems etc. its foolish to trely on telecoms post sit X

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I tend to agree that you should never rely on technology for surviving. There are numerous things that could happen to it and it's better to rely on things that you know will function, things that YOU have control over. If your plan for survival relies on technology and you find yourself no longer able to access that technology then you're pretty stuffed.

By all means make use of it, but don't ever plan that it will be there for sure.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Assuming of course that you have electricity, you don't need the internet to communicate between 2 or more computers... You may not be able to visit good ole ATS but there are levels of communication that you can achieve if you have basic info like IP address and/or computer name. LANs are very easy to set up.

The Gov could block/jam AM and FM but they would be making it useless for themselves as well, I'm not sure what bands the military uses to communicate on these days.

Simple analog land line phone systems are very easy to set up, again assuming you have electricity but you really only need batteries to do this, I once built one with 9volt batts. Cell phones would probably be useless, though with the Windows ran phones that are out there a simple local P2P system may be possible.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I imagine the Internet would still be available to the "good guys."

Where a network exists, access exists.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Best thing to do is to just be prepared for none of this electronic gadgets to function. If it gets that bad, the best you can hope for is your own little world of electronic entertainment while you sit it out in your tent/habitat/cave/cabin/clay hut/igloo/cardboard box, that is if some massive EMP doesnt zap out every electronic device on the planet.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Best thing to do is to just be prepared for none of this electronic gadgets to function. If it gets that bad, the best you can hope for is your own little world of electronic entertainment while you sit it out in your tent/habitat/cave/cabin/clay hut/igloo/cardboard box, that is if some massive EMP doesnt zap out every electronic device on the planet.

I'm doing my best to move away from solely computer-based design work and its not an easy transition going analogue and physically 'getting back the drawing board' ...you really have gotta admire the victorian engineers like Brunel and Stevenson that achieved what they did with nowt more than pen and paper...what takes my PC seconds to compute for a CAD design would have taken them days if not weeks of algebraic scribbles

At the very least we could hope to see would be Babbage's Difference Engine wheeled out of obscurity and put to work like it was intended

[edit on 14-2-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by n0b0DY
I for one expect some broadband wireless systems to still be operational if martial law is instated.
I mean if the PTB shutdown the internet in a paticular area then that makes the both the defending and opposing force's comm equipment useless...Not all but some.

As a former member of the military for in theatre ops they will
have their own local transmitters, and for long haul they will use
satellite they refer to as SATCOM.

There are other comm systems, but those are the most well known.

new topics

top topics

join