reposts!

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
so i don't get why people get upset about "reposts." i mean, i do in some respects, but in others i do not. let me set up some hypotheticals here...

situation one
a member uses the search function to find threads on "rabid cheese eating canaries from mars" and finds 13 threads, all of which had been posted more than 3 months prior. after reading through these threads this member posts a new thread about the same topic posing questions or new ideas that had not been thought of or adressed in the other threads. the member decided not to post these ideas in other said threads because of their age and because he/she felt it would not get viewed as widely as hoped for. also, some of these members may not even be on ATS anymore, and this member was sure that newer members since this topic had been discussed may have something to say also. so this member posts his/her information or ideas. then, upon posting this new thread an older member posts saying that it is a repost and gives links to these older, dead threads.

who's wrong? i would have to say the older member calling it a repost. i mean, if the threads have been dead for more than a while, and if the information were new or changed then shouldn't this justify a new thread? if not, then there should have only been one thread on "rabid cheese eating canaries from mars" in the first place.

situation two
as of right now there are 2 threads on "koalabears with third nipples" on ATS. someone comes and posts a third and disregards the other two. this, in my opinion, is rude and annoying. if a thread is new or recent or whatever you would like to call it, then yes a repost is bad.

i just through that in there so people don't get the idea that i'm totally for reposts.




posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
so i don't get why people get upset about "reposts." i mean, i do in some respects, but in others i do not. let me set up some hypotheticals here...

situation one
a member uses the search function to find threads on "rabid cheese eating canaries from mars" and finds 13 threads, all of which had been posted more than 3 months prior. after reading through these threads this member posts a new thread about the same topic posing questions or new ideas that had not been thought of or adressed in the other threads. the member decided not to post these ideas in other said threads because of their age and because he/she felt it would not get viewed as widely as hoped for. also, some of these members may not even be on ATS anymore, and this member was sure that newer members since this topic had been discussed may have something to say also. so this member posts his/her information or ideas. then, upon posting this new thread an older member posts saying that it is a repost and gives links to these older, dead threads.

who's wrong? i would have to say the older member calling it a repost. i mean, if the threads have been dead for more than a while, and if the information were new or changed then shouldn't this justify a new thread? if not, then there should have only been one thread on "rabid cheese eating canaries from mars" in the first place.

situation two
as of right now there are 2 threads on "koalabears with third nipples" on ATS. someone comes and posts a third and disregards the other two. this, in my opinion, is rude and annoying. if a thread is new or recent or whatever you would like to call it, then yes a repost is bad.

i just through that in there so people don't get the idea that i'm totally for reposts.


O.K if the user posts on existing threads who's to say it wont get viewed? i mean it has happened in the past i am sure a user posts on an existing older thread and bang that thread get bigger and bigger. Take the 'world wide seismic" thread for example thats months old and members post on that and it gets bigger each day.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have to say that I totally agree with you there cmdrkeenkid. Lets face it , if we weren't allowed to post about anything that had already been covered before then this forum would just become mostly a place of reference than a place for discussion. one of my pet hates is when you see the first reply to a thread consists of a huge graffic image stating "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION"
I know that in some cases , it is definatley done for good reason such as when the thread is about a current issue that could easily be found in amongst the recent posts or when someone posts a one line thread starter such as "do you think bigfoot exists", but it just annoys me when I see someone who is obviousley making one of their first posts being welcomed to ATS by a moaning member.
As you said some of the newer members want to start a new discussion on an old subject.
I for one would prefer to look at a series of short threads about something , than have to trawl through pages and pages of some huge thread, also I prefer to post on shorter threads, as at least I know that I won't be saying something that someone has already said earlier in the thread and risk a post (probably by some of the same members that feel the need to point out re-posts) saying "READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE POSTING"
I just think that some members seem to spend more time here complaining and enjoying board dramas than enjoying what it really is that we have the privilege of being a part of.
I usually try to avoid making posts like this, and I'm not thinking of any members in perticular in making these comments, it's just the way that I see it here sometimes, and as the subject was brought up, and this is the rant forum after all, I thought that I would have my say.
OK rant over. I feel a bit better now.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Sorry, we already had a post on this topic. lol

No, seriously, "Rabid cheese eating canaries from mars?"
"koalobears with third nipples?" lol
That's the most plausable theory I've heard on this
forum.
Great post cmdrkeenkid !


I know how you feel, seems like every post I make
these days has already been discussed.
And just as I was getting in the habit of using the
search function before I post, they switch to something
called "BULLean" which does nothing but confuse me,
and bring us posts from last summer.


:bnghd:



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
O.K if the user posts on existing threads who's to say it wont get viewed? i mean it has happened in the past i am sure a user posts on an existing older thread and bang that thread get bigger and bigger. Take the 'world wide seismic" thread for example thats months old and members post on that and it gets bigger each day.


ah, but that thread never really died. then, when it did there was it was over in the most replied and viewed tabs. i was talking about random, little discussed topics for the most part. that's why i came up with the most random thread titles i could have.


Originally posted by pantha
I for one would prefer to look at a series of short threads about something , than have to trawl through pages and pages of some huge thread, also I prefer to post on shorter threads, as at least I know that I won't be saying something that someone has already said earlier in the thread and risk a post (probably by some of the same members that feel the need to point out re-posts) saying "READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE POSTING"


i've seen a lot of this lately, where people keep saying the same things over and over again. it's quite annoying. maybe that's just me though? but i'm the same way, i try to just post in threads that arn't too long.


Originally posted by fortean
And just as I was getting in the habit of using the
search function before I post, they switch to something
called "BULLean" which does nothing but confuse me,
and bring us posts from last summer.


same thing with me! now using the search function is a pain in the ass for me. i know this is just because i don't know how to use it properly though... heh





new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join