It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas judge orders site to identify anonymous trolls, flamers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Texas judge orders site to identify anonymous trolls, flamers

arstechnica.com

The right to flame someone online has typically been protected by the courts, but a Texas judge has decided enough is enough when it comes to 178 anonymous commenters on Topix.com. The site has less than a month to hand over identifying information about the Internet trolls.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
While I don't like the Big Brother ability to reveal all anonymous identites, it's good to see some trolls who hide behind a cloak of anonymity get some Karma back. There has to be some defense if you are being unfairly maligned on the internet (not specifically this case as I don't know the details).

The complaint filed by the Leshers details many of the comments made by the anonymous defendants. Some are certainly lower blows than others—insinuating that Mark drugs women and that Rhonda is the "Herpies Queen," and that the couple may have AIDS, among other things—but not all of the comments are as bad. Some merely accuse the Leshers of being liars, and others even say to wait for confirmation of some of the accusations.

Obviously there was some pretty repellant stuff there.

I wonder if ATS could be ordered to reveal the identities of some of the more vitriolic posters?

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/2/09 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

^^ search is your friend

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Meep.

please delete.

new topics

top topics

join