It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissension on the stimulus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Dissension on the stimulus

www.boston.com

While President Obama and the Senate are fine with the stimulus deal that appears headed for final votes in Congress on Friday and Obama's signature on Monday, the House is another matter.

And it's not just Republicans, who unanimously opposed the bill the first time around and continue to rail against the deal struck by the House-Senate conference committee on Wednesday.

Some House Democrats are upset with some of the changes made to preserve the support of three Republicans in the Senate, who wield virtual veto-power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So, this 'stimulus plan' is going to go through... no doubt about it, and it doesn't matter what we think of it. Great. There is so much junk in there that will not stimulate anything.... but the cost is definitely insane.

If only we had more people to speak out on our behalf, like Ron Paul. They simply roll their eyes, when he is called to speak and starts to immediately tell them that it's a bad idea.

As a side note, is it just me or does it seem like the name of the author is a joke? lol

Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
As to whether the people's will was EVER a consideration for these folks... I doubt it.

They only hear the corporatist and financial ideologues who maintain religious fervor in their defense of Keynesian economics (you know, trickle down, Reaganomics, Voodoo Economics, Make the rich richer and we all prosper).

You may notice that the more likely there will be mandatory disclosure and transparency of financial disbursement and disposition the less likely the Banks want to participate? That tells you just how 'severe' their problems are.

Somewhere on this planet there is an entity - be it corporate or human - which has increased it's economic power by trillions within the last few years.

And since the establishment of the Fed WE HAVE NEVER HAD A SAY in our national economy (as we have been indoctrinated to understand it.)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well, Pelosi in that article says there will be a vote tomorrow and is pretty confident that it will pass. We'll see how the market responds. My guess is the market will tank big time if the thing passes the House.

As for public support, a Gallup poll shows more support than last week, suggesting that Obama's salesmanship in his televised conference had some effect.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
With the promise of more jobs, how can they refuse.

I guarantee most of them have no idea what is in the bill. Heck I don't even know all the details either. I don't have time to read 600 plus pages and neither do many other people.

It's BLIND FAITH.

A promise and people's hope that the promise holds merit.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
As to whether the people's will was EVER a consideration for these folks... I doubt it.

They only hear the corporatist and financial ideologues who maintain religious fervor in their defense of Keynesian economics (you know, trickle down, Reaganomics, Voodoo Economics, Make the rich richer and we all prosper).

You may notice that the more likely there will be mandatory disclosure and transparency of financial disbursement and disposition the less likely the Banks want to participate? That tells you just how 'severe' their problems are.

Somewhere on this planet there is an entity - be it corporate or human - which has increased it's economic power by trillions within the last few years.

And since the establishment of the Fed WE HAVE NEVER HAD A SAY in our national economy (as we have been indoctrinated to understand it.)

I think you said it all in your last sentence alone. We never will have any say as long as we let them control the money system in this country. As long as the dollar has a pennies worth of value, the government will do nothing about the Fed and the control they have. Just look at the power they gave Paulson last year over all of this, power that the government has no right giving anyone, let alone him. That`s like throwing guns into jail cells, and telling the prisoners, here, have fun. If nothing is done about this, he`ll bury this country, and make everyone a slave to pay off the debt(as though we`re not already).

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
With the promise of more jobs, how can they refuse.

I guarantee most of them have no idea what is in the bill. Heck I don't even know all the details either. I don't have time to read 600 plus pages and neither do many other people.

It's BLIND FAITH.

A promise and people's hope that the promise holds merit.

Are you catching on now? Why do you think it`s 600 plus pages? I would bet, if you dug into that bill, there is something in it that they don`t want anyone to see..........health care anyone? Something that needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb, and should be a bill in it self, not stuck in with another bill.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
Are you catching on now? Why do you think it`s 600 plus pages? I would bet, if you dug into that bill, there is something in it that they don`t want anyone to see..........health care anyone? Something that needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb, and should be a bill in it self, not stuck in with another bill.

This is exactly my concern, when it comes to ANY bill they try to pass. I guess the funny thing is, when they throw a 'noble'-sounding name on it, people will vote it in, no matter what.
Eh, then there is the part about every hand that touches the bill needing to add some more pages to it.

And yeah, the 'health care' additions to this 'stimulus' make me sick.

I guess the worst part, there are probably millions of Americans over in California and elsewhere, suffering, and cheering on the swift passage of this bill thinking it will actually help them in some way.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Exactly, and what the health care would end up being, would be, take a number, stand in line, and wait your turn, and don`t complain. Oh yea, and the government has the right to tell you what you can and can`t have done by the doctor you are going to see. And then they tell the doctor, if he doesn`t follow the rules, he doesn`t get paid. Nice.....huh?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Well, this just never ends... I mean, each time the people in charge offer one of these 'solutions', they add more and more harmful crap to it. I mean, the quality and value of life seems like it will be on-par with with third-world countries in no time. Of course this is probably what they want.

Obama preached of 'change', and then immediately starts doing the exact same things Bush did, and failed with. The word insanity, comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This spending bill demonstrates how deeply partisan this president is willing to be. Many of the items are obviously political payback for supporters including this afternoon's order that union labor be given preference. So most members of congress don't need to know what ends up in the bill. They just know to vote their party. I do believe that a few are genuinely outraged by the debt about to be incurred for very little advantage.

There are other things going on here though too. Tak the press converence the other night. The president preselected his questioners.
Obama Prescreens Reporters at Press Conference
Toward the end of the campaign he let it be known that those who weren't positive enough would lose access. Remember the folks who got kicked off the plane? He wants a positive spin on everything. He mostly gets it so he can easily limit access to those who will get the message out and barely tolerate those who might not. Major Garrett from Fox News covered Obama during the campaign and was positive in his coverage, probably why he got a question. This is a very powerful way to slant information. Reporters who want to get ahead in their careers quickly learn how to behave in ways to make that happen.

One thing about the medical records becoming digital and the government being able to monitor what your doctor is doing. Many large institutions already have medical records in electronic format but they almost all use different and very complex systems that have been developed to serve their specific needs. I'm not saying it can't happen, but compatibility between all these systems is a LONG way off, and given the speed with which the government does anything, even they will run out of money long before this particular kind of transparency is achieved.

new topics

top topics

join