It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something that has me worried about depressed people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have done a great deal of my own personal research on 2012 and have my own outlook on the magic date but that isn't what I am about to ask about.

There are a lot of depressed people out there who are always looking for comfort in some kind of an end to the world scenario.
I was just on another message board where someone was talking about their manic depression and how they deal with suicidal thoughts but continue to say they would never hurt themselves but hope that 2012 will end it all for them, like going out in a big bang so to speak.
Now I have to admit it would be an awesome way to go if I had no choice in the matter since I am quite happy living and enjoying life with my family and friends!

There just seems to be a lot of people out there who think 2012 is the end to their problems and are counting on it happening.
Do any of you know people like this? It's sad really that someone can be so depressed to liken the idea of world doom or a complete end to all life.
Worst yet I wonder how many people will commit mass suicide on that date if nothing does happen? I hate to imagin it but there is probably cults out there that will drink the red coolaid on that date even if nothing durastic does happen.
Just thought this would be an interesting topic.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Just a thought but....whatmakes you think that we are even worthy enough to continue on the way we are going?
You know, sometimes when people are depressed about certain things in life, they have every right to be. People can be cruel, more cruel than any other creature on this planet. So I am not suprised at all that a lot of people want things to just END. We are afterall, not at peace with ourselves as a whole.
I am not sitting here saying that I wish it were to happen, because personally I think life was ultimately designed to be good. As I have stated in past posts though, you cant have the good without the bad. They both need each other to co-exist. Thats why there will never be "world peace".

I think the whole end of the world stuff is just something that people can look at to say "you know, if anything was to take us out, it would be that, so we better respect it". I think the whole 2012 stuff is not a phsical date for the end of the world, but it is a psychological battle to make one wonder if they had enough steel to make it through(battle test if you must) if that makes sense. We all like to know whether or not we have what it takes, so we wish upon stuff like that to happen just to find out(Same goes for wars). so to speak.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I imagine there will be many celebrations during the year 2012, especially in December.

The one and only thing I am concerned about is that my concealed weapons permit is up for renewal in 2012 and I don't want to forget and let it lapse.

I was diagnosed in 1994 with severe depression. Been there several times and thankfully survived. Prozac is my anti depression drug of choice.

Unfortunately, I don't have sympathy or time for other depressed people. I know that is not nice of me but it is a self preservation tactic for me that I haven't been able to change.

As far as people wanting to die and possibly gathering in groups in the year 2012 I just hope they don't include children and hope the red kool aid is strong enough to finish them off.

Life is still good. I plan to fight to live as long as I possibly can.

One of the things that does bother me about sucide is that many times a person committing sucide will also take the life of others too.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I have clinical depression and if the world were to end I'd be totally pissed.
But it won't, so it's fine. Think of it this way- if the world ended, everyone's hopes, dreams, and accomplishments would be worthless. That's something to be depressed over. I think that would make most clinically depressed people like myself angry, because I've worked really hard to get where I am.

It would probably make suicidal people a tad happier, but probably not depressed people.

Wellbutrin is my AD of choice, btw, but I got hives from it last time I tried. Dunno about the new formula, just approaching the ten day mark now.

So that answers everyone's questions about why I flip out in anti-anti-depressant threads. Amen.

...people know that not all people with depression are suicidal.... right?

[edit on 2/12/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
People who are manically depressed have bipolar disorder, which is different then someone who is just depressed.
Bpd is a debilitating disorder, and yes, the incidents of suicide are much higher when a person is manic depressive.
people who are manic can also go slightly schizophranic and hear and see things.
It is a disease of the worst kind.

often times bpd get diagnosed as just depressed. depression meds can make someone with bpd go way manic depressive. That is dangerous.

it is very important that people get evaluated by professionals, just for this reason.

bpd has a suicide rate of almost 25%.

If your friends are manic and wishing things would end, they need to be watched very carefully.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I could definitely see 2012 happening, and would not mind it at all. I am not sick and tired of life. I like living, friends, family, fun .. life is good-- but society is all #ed up. The world as a whole is heading nowhere good. So I look forward to the near future but definitely think it would be great if it ended within the next 20 years. It is very scary to think where we are headed. Our environment and resources are depleting and getting worse. Technology controls us more and more every single day, and makes us work that much more. It is ironic.. but technology has taken away our "complications" and made life easier so we can spend more time doing other # that we probably dont wanna do

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Speaking for myself, i have seeked medical treatment and its not just 2012 that has me depressed. Its a multitude of things and i find i am getting better with the meds. I have my days when i preach how people should meditate and say their thanks for all the wonderful things we have. I have days when i cant follow my own advice.

Hopefully, seeking councel and meditating will make me better. This is a life that was given to us to live to the fullest and enjoy. I know we are supposed to be happy, not sad. We are supposed to look forward to good things and not bad. God or our higher power wants us HAPPY.

If only i could stay in this frame of mind, i'd be cured, but i am teetertottering on the fence. I can only hope i can get on the good side of the fence and stay there.

Woe is me and this darned sensitivity i have.

top topics

join