It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

edition.cnn.com

A 42-year-old HIV patient with leukemia appears to have no detectable HIV in his blood and no symptoms after a stem cell transplant from a donor carrying a gene mutation that confers natural resistance to the virus that causes AIDS, according to a report published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
O wow just wow,

This could be the most important Medical breakthough of the Century

Stem Cell Research is breaking ground ever week now!, the other week a MS paient had the disease reversed

could we see the iradication of Diesese in our granchildens life time,

I really think so!!!!!!

just wow

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That is interesting. I was exposed to HEP C but was one of the 15 percent of people who do not get it after exposure.

That is the same Gene that they say is responsible for people that do not contract HEP C and they are doing research there as well.

Ama

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That's incredible!

Stem Cell research is an important part of our medical future. Hopefully we can make huge strides in the area now.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just imagine how much farther along we would be now if SCR hadn't been black-balled for the last 8yrs. It has been such an emotionally charged subject in the past that it has been almost impossible top have a responsible discussion about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
stupid question i know but,

are stem cells ONLY taken from fetus' or are there other ways?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
To answer Miriam's question, "are stem cells ONLY taken from fetus' or are there other ways?", Stem Cells can be any of the following:

Embryonic stem cells - They are harvested from the inner cell mass of the blastocyst seven to ten days after fertilization.

Fetal stem cells - These cells are taken from the germline tissues that will make up the gonads of aborted fetuses.

Umbilical cord stem cells - Umbilical cord blood contains stem cells similar to those found in bone marrow.

Placenta derived stem cells - Up to ten times as many stem cells can be harvested from a placenta as from cord blood.

Adult stem cells - Many adult tissues contain stem cells that can be isolated. The goals of stem cell research include curing diseases, cloning, and gene-line engineering. Cloning is directed towards making duplicate animals or humans. Gene-line engineering is directed toward permanent change in disease resistance and aesthetic and functional enhancements.

Example of embryonic cell becoming a blood cell:

Step 1. Embryonic Stem Cell (Could become anything)
Step 2. Adult Stem Cell (Assigned to become a vascular system cell or a kind of nerve cell)
Step 3. Vascular Stem Cell (Assigned to become a blood cell or a blood vessel cell)
Step 4. Blood Cell

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is great news! Here's hoping we can continue with more breakthroughs like this!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

reply to miriam, and to jta....and all, as well!!!

for miriam....I'm certainly not an expert in this, but from what I've read, there IS substantial work being done that can utilize the benefits of the stem cells without killing a fetus. Apparently there are other stem cells in adults....someone can research this?

Problem is, the Bushies didn't have the intellectual capacity to differentiate.

THEY just used the media to equate the term 'Stem Cells' to killing babies, and abortion. Shuts down the public debate, any intellectual debate, almost immediately.

What a SHAME.....

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazze

so essentially if bush was following a christian agenda, there was no need to ban stem cell research altogether, he could have just regulated how it was harvested right?

so why ban it entirely?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Positive progress, thanks to medicine, but time will tell...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

thats what im saying, if christians are so against it, why not just regulate the way its harvested?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
THIS is why stem cell research is so damned important. We've been stifling this research long enough, and this is the answer to those misguided policies, and proves that religion has no place(Bush's veto was a religious decision) in policy making.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

miriam....interesting philosophical question.

Why would only 'christians' be against stem-cell research?

Oh, and by the way, there are a great deal of different views regarding 'christianity'. From what I'm told, the Catholics don't believe in birth control!!!

Honestly....we need, as a species, to get our heads out of the sand and see life for what it is. Biology!

This woman in the news lately....who ALREADY had six children, takes a fertility drug (for whatever reason I can't fathom) and gives birth to OCTUPLETS!!!!!

Every one of those little Human lives is precious, of course.....but this WOMAN, who now is going to take State Aid to support all of those little Human lives, is turning into a cancer that eats away at normal Human thinking.

Dogs give birth to multiple litters! Cats do, as well....it is built in, by biology, and evolution....to help each species survive.

Eight fetuses in one woman's womb is not natural!!!! YES, I hope all the babies survive, I'd be less than a Human to think otherwise, BUT....Human females are not genetically designed for these multiple births!!!

Occasionally, because of very naturalistic events, twins will develop, as the zygote splits....but one sperm, one ova....THAT is the basic structure for Human reproduction.

SO....to conclude....I used this news of the Octuplet lady to bolster my argument in this discussion. WHY, after already having SIX children, did she feel the need to get pregnant again??? AND, why use fertility drugs to produce eight...can't call them 'twins'....

OK....I know it seems I went off-topic, but what if I actually have a point?

I mean, for generations we Humans had babies....modern technology in hospital means that the survival rate has improved.....but, aren't we just another species on a planet that has seen quite a few dominant species fail, over geological time periods??

Yeah....I know.....we're Human, and the 'dominant' species. BUT, a tiny, tiny virus now known as "HIV" has brought us to our knees....not literally, but it's worse than 'yellow fever' (virus) or the 'plague' (bacterial).....

Or, use the rubicon of of diseases that have plagued Humanity!!!

"HIV" gets its stigma from the Reagan Admistration.....because, 25+ years ago, it was designated as a "GAY" disease. Well, that bull(%) has sailed, and it ain't being believed anymore.

Simple answer? Stem-cell research, when allowed, will provide incredible benefits....not just to HIV sufferers.

AND, if research will be allowed to continue....NO, there is not a need for fetus' brains stems!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Vatican has been, IS, and will be the worst enemy ever for the progress: and i say it as italian: while i do believe in God, i think that they always act like some brake for the progress. Now, i'm not an expert, but i confess you that the news sounds to be too good to be true; imagine what a great hope it is for all the people and the relatives of all those who have been hit by that damnation. Now tell me how can the Vatican to blame someone because of Eluana's death and at the same time to try to close a door that may bring to the solution of such (and so many other problems) of the World. There should be no limit to the progress in this type of research, except cases like uncontrolled clonations (for example) and stuff like that. I really hope that this will turn out to be a real hope

[edit on 12/2/2009 by internos]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That's because the Catholic faith is a religion. God created everything to evolve and for us to show up and describe it and work with it to the best of our abilities. Religion prevents that, not God.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That is INTENSE. No wonder the government doesn't support stem cell research. It would prevent all the blacks and gays and poor people that the government doesn't like from dying.

Ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Internos, I couldn't have said it better!

I have, personally, seen many of my friends die from HIV-related illnesses.

I also realize that the 'harvesting', as the anti-stem cell people like to call it, is fraught with ethicial issues.

There is a promising 'anti-gen' on the horizon, a topical or vaginally or anally introduced type of 'prevention'....much like a 'flu-shot'...see the Washington Post, Wednesday 11 February.

Anyway....many, tragically, fetuses do not live to full term. I have an 'Organ Donor' card, and it is stated on my Driver's License that, should I die, I'd wish my organs to go to help someone in need.

HOW is this different??? BECAUSE I can make the decision? Perhaps the parents of the tragic fetuses can also 'decide' to help someone else.....

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Simple answer? Stem-cell research, when allowed, will provide incredible benefits....not just to HIV sufferers.

AND, if research will be allowed to continue....NO, there is not a need for fetus' brains stems!!!!

thing is, im both.

im anti abortion and im HIV positive. but when i hear that stem cells can be retrieved without harming anyone, i cant help but ask, what is the f´ing problem?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

There shouldn't be with adult stem cells. And, I don't think that there is a problem, ethical or otherwise, with the harvesting of and study of and research with adult stem cells.

The problem comes in when fetal stem-cells are discussed. The abortion argument comes into play. The "create life just to destroy it" argument comes into play. Ethical and moral arguments come into play.

But, this procedure was done with adult stem cells.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join