It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama is 'screwing up' on the economy. Be very afraid.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by meliv

I agree, that is what is trying to do before the crap hit the fan and to appease a mad population in the making.

And that is what it is a temporary fix.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Heres a good article for some of you to read who have the time. It gives a interesting insight on the Bush legacy.The Failed Corporate Record of

Several researchers have investigated the business history of the Bush family. The facts that they have uncovered are not very pretty. The business record of George W. Bush holds some revealing insights to how his presidency has operated, and helps to explain why the country has fallen so deeply in debt and has so many other problems.

Arbusto, an oil exploration company, lost money, but it got considerable investments (nearly $5 million) because even losing oil investments were useful as tax shelters.
Spectrum 7 Energy Corp. bought out Arbusto in 1984 and hired Mr. Bush to run the company's oil interests in Midland, Texas. The oil business collapsed as oil prices plummeted by 1986, and Spectrum 7 Energy was near failure.
Harken Energy acquired Mr. Bush's Spectrum 7 Energy shares, and he got Harken shares, a directorship, and a consulting arrangement in return. Harken, under Bush, brought in Saudi real estate tycoon Sheikh Abdullah Bakhsh as a board member and a major investor. Over the next few years, Harken would turn out to have links to: Saudi money, CIA-connected Filipinos, the Harvard Endowment, the emir of Bahrain, and the shadowy Bank of Credit and Commerce International.
A 1991 internal SEC document suggested George W. Bush violated federal securities law at least 4 times in the late 1980s and early 1990s in selling Harken stock while serving as a director of Harken. This is essentially the same kind of activity that Martha Stewart is going to prison over. Except at the time of the investigation, Mr. Bush's father was president and the case was quietly dropped.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
i believe this title is misleading.

"someone" is screwing up the economy, intentionally, and propagating fear about it too, but it ain't obama or bush alone. both were cfr or otherwise controlled pawns. nothing more or less.

i for one wish many of the people here on this board would STOP making this a partisan issue or using it as a chance to attack the president you didn't vote for. it goes far, far beyond that, and the sooner you all see and accept this, the faster we will all be able to logically consider, thwart, and recover.

that being said, it's ludicrous to even think in your mind that this is in any way a reflection of this current pawn...er..i mean president. the die was cast long, long ago.[edit on 12-2-2009 by ~Lucidity]

Maybe if we started with demanding an explanation and search for all the missing money that our government claims to have lost.

How can trillions of dollars go missing and not only can it not be found but no one on Capitol Hills is even concerned?

Me smells a rat and this fellow is not dead but alive and kicking waiting to strike again.

We can not. I repeat; can not, be this stupid.

Where is the darn money?

I say until they find it and there is a full accounting of every dime that they have already distributed, not another penny is given out.

Obama like every President before him, at least back to Kennedy, is nothing but a figurehead with no powers and no say.

I wish that he could pull a rabbit out of his hat but if he did he would be no more believed then Kennedy was and they would kill him just as quick; if not quicker.

The rabbit hole goes a heck of a lot deeper then most people are willing to believe and a lot deeper still then even more people are willing to go.

I am afraid we are going to have to ride this one out my countrymen and before the ride is over I think a lot of us are going to hanging our heads in shame. We will be singing a different tune and suddenly stricken with a case of selective amnesia.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

The same way he bankrupted his own company he has done to the American nation, that is just priceless, perhaps he didn't do it alone and it was even before him, but oh, boy he just culminated the whole thing.

Priceless.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Its easy to destroy something when you don't like it. He just didn't care about what damage would come from it. Besides he already got what he wanted out of America and damn his brother if he wanted to run.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
His words were "I inherited this problem"

Yes. And he did. Surely you don't deny that? What's wrong with stating it?

BH you know I am an Obama supporter, but this is not at all what I was expecting.

If you mean that the bill is not what you were expecting, I agree, I wasn't expecting it and don't like it, but that doesn't mean he is screwing up the economy. The economy was screwed before he came along.

And he is taking responsibility for what happens.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Heres another interesting article.White House Philosophy Stoked Mortgage Bonfire

“The Bush administration took a lot of pride that homeownership had reached historic highs,” Mr. Snow said in an interview. “But what we forgot in the process was that it has to be done in the context of people being able to afford their house. We now realize there was a high cost.”

For much of the Bush presidency, the White House was preoccupied by terrorism and war; on the economic front, its pressing concerns were cutting taxes and privatizing Social Security. The housing market was a bright spot: ever-rising home values kept the economy humming, as owners drew down on their equity to buy consumer goods and pack their children off to college.

Lawrence B. Lindsey, Mr. Bush’s first chief economics adviser, said there was little impetus to raise alarms about the proliferation of easy credit that was helping Mr. Bush meet housing goals.

“No one wanted to stop that bubble,” Mr. Lindsey said. “It would have conflicted with the president’s own policies.”
[/quote/]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wow.

A man inherits a spiraling mess that is destined to get worse, and not even six months into trying to sort it out he's already blamed for causing it.

If anyone thinks Obama is destroying the economy they must have just awakened from a coma and missed the last eight years of life here in America and the world.

To say his policies will not help or make things worse is another matter, but it would still be furthering the "screw up" and not causing it.

- Lee

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by meliv

I agree, that is what is trying to do before the crap hit the fan and to appease a mad population in the making.

And that is what it is a temporary fix.

I believe this is just more MSM propaganda.

They want you to believe when the SHTF that your neighbor is going to turn man-eating zombie and toss you on the grill.

The truth is that your neighbor is just like you and maybe not even quite as well informed, so he will do nothing but sit on his couch in front of his big screen HDTV waiting for the government and MSM to tell what to do, what to think and how to feel.

The free thinkers. The critical thinkers will be the enemy and on the run for their lives.

Remember that final scene from the remake of Body Snatchers when the guy finds his friend and approaches her. She turns, screams and points him out to the others.

That just about sums it up. You will either succumb to their will or they will hunt you down like an animal for sport.

In this hunt the FOX gets to ride the horse and command the dogs.

You get to run and try to hide.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

I Agree, there is no doubt in my mind that if this bailout works it will be just a band-aid, and a short time fix.

Things are changing so fast now the Senate wants to do some vote before the house, Reid and Pelosi are fighting,

To top it all off, There is really no plan. This is a big joke.

This is not Obama's deal, I bet it was drawn up before he was even sworn in, I mean seriously.

[edit on 122828p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
U.S. financial probes expand as economic crisis deepens

WASHINGTON — The FBI's caseload of fraud investigations into major corporations and banks could climb from 38 into the hundreds as the economic crisis deepens, a bureau official told Congress on Wednesday.

U.S. officials also told a Senate hearing several criminal investigations related to the $700 billion federal bailout program were already in progress.

www.comcast.net...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Devoid of true leadership things will go from bad to worse.

I don't blame Obama for this mess, but blame in any instance accomplishes nothing, he did not "inherit" the presidency and simply blaming the previous administration indicates that he is already expecting failure in the future. It is a security blanket for him, because he can always say "I inherited this problem" .... If the economy collapses completely and chaos ensues in 4 years time will those words still sway you?

What will you say Mr. President when hyperinflation is the ultimate result of the current and previous economic plans you are so eager to sign?

"I inherited this problem" ??

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Obama, Reid, Pelosi burn billions behind closed doors

By Examiner Editorial
- 2/11/09
For officials who came into office promising to operate the most honest and transparent White House and Congress ever, President Barack Obama, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid seem determined to achieve exactly the opposite result. Their actions in securing passage of the $1 trillion economic stimulus bill – the total cost exceeds $1 trillion when interest is added to the $838 billion Senate or $827 billion House versions - would be laughable were not the consequences for the nation so dire. Take for example the trio’s determination to hustle the Senate-House conference committee to begin meeting within hours of Senate passage of the upper chamber’s compromise version.

Less than 48 hours elapsed between the time the text of the compromise became available for public examination late Saturday evening and yesterday’s 61-37 vote for passage. At that rate, the Senate effectively was spending about $300 million every minute while considering the compromise, and allowing taxpayers a scandalously brief opportunity to discover how the senators were doing it.

www.dcexaminer.com...

please stop defending these people.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
U.S. financial probes expand as economic crisis deepens

WASHINGTON — The FBI's caseload of fraud investigations into major corporations and banks could climb from 38 into the hundreds as the economic crisis deepens, a bureau official told Congress on Wednesday.

U.S. officials also told a Senate hearing several criminal investigations related to the $700 billion federal bailout program were already in progress.

www.comcast.net...

And all the money that Rumsfeld reported missing just before 9/11????

When are they going to start investigating the missing government money?

If Black-Ops are sucking in that kind of money then it is time to either blow the lid on Black-Ops or shut it down.

We just can't afford to keep throwing money down a hole that seems to have no bottom.

Or is there someone at the bottom scooping it up?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Walks, the truth of the matter is they don't know how to fix it.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Or is there someone at the bottom scooping it up?

Hmmmm, most likely.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think this is the worst idea so far and points at Giethner being in with the banks and stealing the peoples money.A Proposal to Shore Up Banks With Pension Funds

Rather than rely more heavily on the Treasury, which has already put $350 billion in the nation’s banks, Representative Gary L. Ackerman sees an opportunity in the trillions of dollars in public pension funds. Most of the funds suffered giant losses last year in the market turmoil. But they do not need all of their assets immediately, because their time horizon for paying benefits is decades long.

This falls in line with Bush's plan of putting social security money in the stock market.[url]Study Says Bush Social Security Plan Would Help Banks and Hurt Seniors[/url/]

A study by University of Chicago business school professor Austan Goolsbee focuses on President Bush’s plan to partially privatize Social Security, and finds that financial institutions stand to gain from the Bush plan—at the expense of seniors.
According to the study, the financial services industry would reap a $940 billion windfall in fees and other administrative charges for managing private accounts, while expenses could take 20 percent of the typical beneficiary's account.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Here's the thing. NO MATTER WHAT Obama does or does not do, the economy is screwed. He may be having some slight effect one way or the other, but we'll never really know what would happen if he'd taken a different route.

The economic disaster ship has already sailed. He inherited THAT, not the presidency. And he's not "simply" blaming the previous administration. He is saying the economic policies of the last 5 years (deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy) is how we got here. And to a large degree, that's true. That's why he doesn't want it to continue.

Nothing is swaying me.
I knew an economic crisis was coming before Obama even ran for president. If the economy collapses completely and chaos ensues in the future, that is fully what I expect and have expected since before he was elected. It's GOING to happen. We've seen it coming. That ship has sailed. And has nothing to do with Obama.

Look at this thread

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I don't think any of us could do a better job with the situation if we were in his shoes. There are tons of pressures and problems that we don't even see.

I still love him, I still don't care what anyone says, and I think that he is doing a great job. And if it wasn't for Bush, we could have caught the problem early and it wouldn't have gotten this bad.

Really, kick him out of office now. Stick someone else in, and see if they do any better.
They won't.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Here's the thing. NO MATTER WHAT Obama does or does not do, the economy is screwed.

This notion troubles me as well... He can make decisions which could either make things better or worse BH.

Either way history WILL judge him on HIS actions as our leader, the situation prior to his presidency will hardly matter.

So far he seems willing to let others make those decisions for him as long as he can buy their sales pitch.

The current plan will grow government, not really help the fast rising numbers of failed businesses and jobless Americans now with little or no hope of finding new jobs. You are witnessing a leaderless destruction of a country. The optimist in me still hopes that someone will find a way to get this right despite our elected leaders.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join