It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Islamic film's maker faces UK ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Anti-Islamic film's maker faces UK ban

edition.cnn.com

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A Dutch lawmaker who made a controversial film about Islam planned to travel to Britain on Thursday despite a ban on his entry.

Dutch authorities filed charges against Wilders last month, accusing him of inciting racial hatred.

Geert Wilders said he was invited to screen his film, "Fitna," at the House of Lords on Thursday evening, but was informed by the British ambassador to the Netherlands that he would be refused entry because the beliefs expressed in the film would threaten public security.

Wilders said he still intends to fly to Britain in the hope that he will be let in.

Britain's Home Office confirmed that Wilders had been denied entry. It said the move is permitted under European Union law, which allows states to refuse entry on the grounds of public policy, public security or public health.

"The government opposes extremism in all its forms," said a Home Office spokesman, who would not be identified, in line with policy. "It will stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country."

Wilders called the move "incredible." Do you agree with the UK's decision to bar Wilders? Have your say

"This is freedom of speech. I mean, let's have a debate," Wilders told the BBC. "This is how a democracy and the rule of law and a civil society should work. If you disagree, talk to one another."

Wilders is a member of the Dutch parliament for the right-wing Party for Freedom. He released "Fitna" online in March 2008 to immediate controversy.

The 15-minute film features disturbing images of terrorist acts superimposed over verses from Islam's holy book, the Quran, to paint Islam as a threat to Western society.

Caroline Cox, a member of Britain's House of Lords who is not affiliated with a political party, invited Wilders to screen his film at a private session in parliament. She told CNN that she wanted lawmakers to see the film to provoke discussion.

Don't Miss
Dutch politician faces charges over anti-Islam film
Muslims condemn Dutch lawmaker's film
"We're showing it on the basis of freedom of speech," said Cox, who has been a free speech advocate throughout her career. "It's a serious showing, with serious concerns and serious consideration."

Cox said she disagreed with the government's decision to bar Wilders, who was also scheduled to discuss the film.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The British tradition of appeasement never seems very far away. In spite of numerous Islamic video stores in the UK openly selling material promoting Jihad and open conflict with the West, when this Dutch politician replies with a movie alleging the violent nature of that religion and its threat to western society, the British bar him entry to the country.

When does analysis become hate speech, and who decides that? This man is a legitimate European politician, democratically elected in his home country, and he has a message that many others consider legitimate, some of those in the House of Lords no less.

I couldn't imagine living in a country where the right to speak freely is so easily stamped on by authority. The social problems the British face seem to be mounting almost daily now.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Trust me, it isn't "the British", it's Harriet "freaking" Harment, Jacqui "the lesbian" Smith and the rest of the Owellian #nuts that have usurped power and are now stomping a boot into the face of the British people.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I agree with free speech within acceptable boundaries but I'm afraid this guy is a book burner . He wants the koran banned in Holland . Let him speak then send him back . Remember the nazis burning books ? As a result the dutch have mein kampf banned . Open debate for all .

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is farcical, we accomadate mass-murder inciting clerics under the banner of freedom and democracy, yet we simultaneously quash it when it comes to opinions on certain "taboo" subjects..

[edit on 12-2-2009 by theblunttruth]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by theblunttruth]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Didn't you guys know? Islam can't be criticised or else they'll just start bombing people, taking over embassies, mistreating women, that sort of thing.

OH WAIT!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I don't understand how people can allow racism to be given any venue at all. Intolerance is unacceptable.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
it just shows how much my government is afraid of islam and how scared they are at upsetting the saudi money machine....

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Bare in mind it probably was not decided in the UK to stop the guy.

It was probably decided here - after all, that is where we are now governed from.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by longdog

This guy might be a facist but so are the people who want to supress his views. Every free thinking person deserves to hear the ideas of others and make their own choice to accept and reject them. The last thing we need is the government telling us what ideas are acceptable, this has happened too much in the past in nations with the facist or communist governments.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I am from the Netherlands and I just want to say: Thank you England! You made a wise decision to ban him. I just wished the Dutch people would do the same and kick him out of the country.
Mr. Wilders should be able to understand Englands decision to ban him, because he wants to do the same: prevent people with opinions he fears to enter the Netherlands, so this must be his karma. Unfortunateley he lacks any sense of humor.

I hope more countries will follow Britains decision!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by leapoffaith
I am from the Netherlands and I just want to say: Thank you England! You made a wise decision to ban him. I just wished the Dutch people would do the same and kick him out of the country.
Mr. Wilders should be able to understand Englands decision to ban him, because he wants to do the same: prevent people with opinions he fears to enter the Netherlands, so this must be his karma. Unfortunateley he lacks any sense of humor.

I hope more countries will follow Britains decision!

It's not "Britain's Decision" it's Jacqui Smith's decision, and she is a freaking facist.

I hope that Mr Wilders is allowed to come and speak, and people put down their self-censoring "Racist!" placards and actually listen to what he has to say before they make up their minds.

He isn't being a racist, you cannot be racist regarding a religion. He is telling the truth.

Islam is a religion invented by a Dark Ages warlord on the pretense of creating an empire and wielding political power, and controlling the masses so that an effective army will always be able to be raised from the populace.

Nothing more.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If it is crimminal to revise Jewish history and get locked up for being anti-semetic then the same laws should apply for those who are anti-semetic towards those of Islamic faith.

It is exactly the same thing. I think he should be allowed access and his film accepted when holocaust revision is accepted.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Didn't you guys know? Islam can't be criticised or else they'll just start bombing people, taking over embassies, mistreating women, that sort of thing.

OH WAIT!

No. You are wrong.
First read the article, then contemplate.
Freedom of speech has its border. In Germany, you can not say "I am a Nazi", nor you can support them.
This guy on the news that you didnt read is a racist too and he only humiliates eastern cultures and religions.
By the way, your words contains a bad humor. It is wrong and has a bad humor.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by deccal]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Geert Wilders: "It is a disgrace the UK refused to let me enter their country to tell them they should refuse people to enter their country because of their ideas"

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by leapoffaith
Geert Wilders: "It is a disgrace the UK refused to let me enter their country to tell them they should refuse people to enter their country because of their ideas"

Wow, what a wonderful strawman argument you build! Yes, that's exactly what Geert wants! He has just arbitrarily chosen a group of people and decided to go out of his way to ruin his political reputation by picking on them!

Islam is a big boy now. He's 1300+ years old. Let him account for his own actions, and he might not piss himself and cry for his mummy.

And for chrissake, let's get back to the moral highground!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Without freedom of speech, we can kiss goodbye to all of our liberties. This isn't the Britain my ancestors died for. We've been hijacked by an increasingly fascist doctrine and unless we wake up soon, all will be lost.

I couldn't care less what you think of Geert Wilders and his views. The fact is, that in a free-speech society, he has a right to them. As far as I know his film tells no lies and in all honesty, we probably should educate ourselves as to whether Islam is a potential threat to traditional European values or not.

The British government are rotten to the core. They're afraid of Muslim reaction and are simultaneously gunning to destroy British liberty.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I hate to break it to you, but... freedom of speech has never really existed, people just think it does.

Hitler demonstrated feedom of thought, speech and action. Look at where it ended him and the German people. It left behind a stigmatization that is far from fading. Rather than leaving the whole past behind, it has been brought into the future in pieces. Yet part of that past is not allowed to be disputed nor allowed into the present.

The greatest form of oppression is not when one is not permitted to speak but rather when one fears speaking. But then there is the possibility of Freedom of speech changing the world. This change might not necessarily be a positive one and might perhaps see the destruction of millions.

Maybe somethings are better left unsaid.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliterated

who are you or I or anyone to decide what things are best left unsaid?

regardless of his views, Freedom of speech should encompass anyone for any view or belief. that includes neo-nazis, racist individuals, and everyone else.

but of course this is Britain. I don't live there so they can do as they please. I personally think it sets a bad precedent.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalSonicX
reply to post by Obliterated

who are you or I or anyone to decide what things are best left unsaid?

But then you could argue who are you or I or anyone to decide what things are said? (one of those questions with no answer)

What is socially accepted in Islam is looked down on by western countries and what is socially accepted by the western world is looked down on by people of Islamic faith. It doesn't make either wrong, just different.

I believe in freedom of speech and in beliefe as long as it doen't harm others. I don't think it is right to portray people who are different as evil or to stir hate, especially when it is based on a tiny minority of a particular ethnic or religous population.

For example, what George Bush's administration did to Iraq is disgusting, imagine if a Muslim or a Jew tried to portray all Christian people of the world as being evil, lying, murderous people just based on that event.

The media has an incredible power over people especially children and it is what often instills our moral and ethical views. It can make us hate people by showing us death and war and killing, but it can also make peace (if it attepts to try). It is what is molding the minds of children all over the world in different ways. It is what is teaching them the social do's and don'ts but it fails to teach the cultural diversity, focusing on the negative and not showing any of the positives.

I have some muslim friends who live in Sydney, Aust. and they're amazing people. Did you know that some of them had to change their names just so that they could get a job? They are educated, never been in trouble with the law but they had muslim names which means they couldn't even get an interview. It is because of how the media and movies and books and news portray them, as if they are all bad people. I think that kind of destruction of ones credibility and social wellbeing is far worse than the freedom to show a film.

Hypothetically, if your ethnic group was discriminated aginst, you couldn't get a job because of it, you were treated unfaily, looked at as if you were a terrorist, criminal or an outcast, and denied the opportunities that everyone else gets, what would become of you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join