It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latin American ex-leaders urge legalization of marjiana, end to failed drug war

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The benefits of legalizing pot outweigh the negatives.

It has been this way for decades.

Legalize POT. Tax POT. Put people to work growing POT. Get the economy moving again.

There has to be another reason POT has not been yet been legalized.

hmmm... I watched prison planet where inmates/gangs fight & die over

drug wars. Overcrowded prisons= cheap labor pool.

Somebody is making big bucks off this underground.

The government does not want to share the drug money profits.

"We have spent over a trillion dollars trying to eradicate the world's most beneficial plant off the face of the earth. Imagine what a better world this would be if that money had been spent on treatment, education and studying the medical benefits of marijuana."
-- Steve Hager - High Times Editor (1988 - 2003)"

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I just wanted to say something in regards to this. I have come up with a non-sucking bail out plan for the US. This plan consists of decimalizing marijuana, then afterwards creating jobs by growing, cleaning, and selling marijuana in gas stations and stores as if cigarettes. This would all in all lower crime rate while at the same time gaining the US government billions of dollars. The net profit for the illegal sales of marijuana in the US for the year of 2006 was 47.9 billion dollars, all illegally. If the government legalized it, then sold it they would be able to wipe out the national dept of the US in around 5 years easily.
Please give this your thoughts and reply. Thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If Alcohol is legal (which is should remain forever), so should marijuana.

I barely drink and never smoke, but I fail to see (Actually I fully understand why why - but "logically" speaking) why alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. Drinking is TONS worse.

Like others have said already, smoking age should be 21 for marijuana.

If it does become legal, growing it will always be illegal (companies need their money), and it will be taxed to hell.

Whatever.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It's about time it was legalised, but lets face it, they still have us running around calling it 'marijuana' a backward, derogatory word that belongs back in the days of 'reefer madness' and other such scaremongering propaganda. That word has negative connotations especially among the stupid and ill informed.

It should be reffered to as Cannabis and as long as everyone keeps calling it 'Marijuana' it will never be legalised. Too much negativity and bull#e surround that word. Frankly anyone who uses that word in normal conversation is either a tosser, a cop or one of these numptys that are against the legalisation of cannabis. The word 'Marijuana' is a very condacending and antiquated term. It has to go if attitudes toward cannabis is ever going to change in our lifetime.

Call it pot or weed or whatever you want, just dont call it 'marijuana' please. You sound like a tit.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
S&F
Great thread! I have been a legalization advocate for the past 10 years, and it's nice to see informed people finally coming together for the cause. Unfortunately, as long as TPTB remain in office, I highly doubt we will see reform anytime soon. Regardless of the benevolent FACTS, the plant is used by the government as a scare tactic. Unfortunately in everyday life, I still manage to come across people that look at cannabis the same as heroin or pcp. This is a result of Henry J. Anslinger, and his great propaganda antics throughout the 30's to 50's. What amazes me most, is how ridiculous the anti-marijuana campaign was then, and how it managed to stick for 50+ years afterwards! Now the scary part, the "War on Drugs", just let those words settle for a few minutes. Under the Reagan administration, the United Stated Government actually declared a war on drugs. What it actually meant was, the U.S. government declared war on the people of the U.S. That is a frightening reality of the way things are. I know I am not saying anything new at all here on ATS, but seriously, this is an extremely large-extra ram up the proverbial butt of the U.S. people. I could point out countless details of the benefits of cannabis, but it's a vicious circle that will never change unless, we the people, decide to make the change (trust me, I know, NOT EASY). We have constitutional amendments and rights for this very situation, but Americans (me included), have been so disillusioned to think that we have no say in government policy, we have become the "why bother" generation. We the people need to understand that YES, we can make a difference, but we have to come together to do so. These are ridiculous laws passed by ridiculous people with very selfish intents, but what about us? Get informed, inform others, and maybe we can make a difference. Also, anybody seriously interested, check out NORML.ORG

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

I totally agree.

Here is a link estimating the economic effects of marijuana.

www.prohibitioncosts.org...

The study is endorsed by three Nobel Prize winning economists, including Milton Friedman, and is authored by a visiting professor at Harvard.

The report estimates that legalizing marijuana would save $7.7 billion per year in government expenditure on enforcement of prohibition. The report also estimates that marijuana legalization would yield tax revenue of $6.2 billion annually if marijuana were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. This equates to almost $14 billion in savings and revenue.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Let's look at this from the cartel side of this. Why would I , be a cartel, want the war on drugs to end. I make too much money this way. It is a high risk high return industry. I may have to pay off some officials or CIA members to do my business, but it is like paying tariffs if it were legal. If it were made legal, then I have to compete on an open market against other local and international growers. Instead of using normal means of distribution, now I have to pay off new officials for permits and licenses. Then I need to get store fronts to sell the weed. Beyond that I can't sell it in a prepackage cigarette form because Marlboro already owns that patent so selling in gas stations and machiens are out. I am going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars going legit with out the war on drugs.

That is how I think a cartel runner would look at a life without the war on drugs.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
This graph sums it up for me.

can you give the link to where this graph came from,,, i'd love tyo have it for future use and discussion

thanks a ton

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Excellent thread. I've always wondered why this matter hasn't been debated in parliment. There MUST be a hidden agenda, because if it was seriously discussed, there is no logical reason cannabis should still be illegal (in comparison to alcohol/nicotine). It really is amazing looking at the history of cannabis. I think this article is a real eye opener for anyone thats interested.

www.world-mysteries.com...

Also, one of the best articles ive found is this one from cosmos science magazine. It's a 6 page read and explores both sides of the cannabis debate.

www.cosmosmagazine.com...

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well said Static! Star from me!

Another benefit of legalizing cannibis besides the obvious economic stimulas, is I would get consistent quality

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The question comes down to this:

It is well scientifically documented that tobacco and alcohol are far worse for you than cannabis. But why should we just legalize marijuana and add to the list of legal drugs?

Because of the following reasons:

First and foremost, the purpose of government is to protect the individual liberties of the people. Exactly whose rights are infringed when someone smokes a joint in the privacy of their own home? The government has no right to tell someone what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

Secondly, we spend 50 billion dollars a year enforcing marijuana prohibition. We could use that money to literally start up a booming alternative energy industry, or give it to medicare.

Thirdly, an estimated 113 billion dollars is spent on buying weed annually. Imagine if we added a 10% tax like tobacco - instant 10 billion dollars in revenue per year in addition to the 50 we already saved

Fourth, regulation. Why allow dealers to be the ones selling marijuana, when they don't care how old kids are buying from them as long as they have money? Legalization opens the opportunity for regulation like carding and id checking as they do with alcohol and tobacco. Why allow an artificial gateway effect to continue by dealers being the supply of cannabis and then trying to push other hard drugs on the buyers who just want a little herb?

I could go on about the medical reasons, but those are already known.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Another aspect of the legalization of marijuana is the use of industrialized hemp. Hemp can be used for everything from textiles to building materials and paper to biomass energy production. At the same time it is easy and cheap to grow and has a low environmental impact.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

100% correct, no profit. Any one can grow it, it is weed, weed grows everywhere, in all enviroments very easily. Unless you want strong and skanky ones than keep it indoor, costs alittle other than that very easy.

It should be legalized because it is the criminals who get the money and who cause trouble all accross, it shouldn't be the case.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Couldn't agree with you more there should be an age on smoking the stuff. But nobody stops people from going out and getting so godamn blind drunk that they choke to death on their own vomit so I don't see why anyone should be able to give me a CRIMINAL record for smoking a plant that grows naturally..

Its just been re-classified to a B in the Uk but I can guarantee no-one will catch or stop me doing it. It mellows you out and I can't remember who said it but it does make you question things, its only through weed that I've become interested in the sort of news on this site! (I bet the same can be said for several other members)

You have drunks crowding up your accident and emergency rooms for fighting, drink driving, domestic abuse the list goes on and on.. how many people do see in ER who've got themselves TOO stoned?

Theres no such thing as too stoned... It knocks you out before you get the chance

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

You can say that about me, it just opens your mind for all posibilities.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

Yeah but they could always do what American government is good at. TAX it. It is about the only tax I'd be willing to pay right now.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Know exactly what you mean mate, with all the plus sides people post on here I just don't get what the problem with it is, its not just the smoking theres so many uses..

I think there needs to be some kind of plot to hit every politician possible with it at Summit or EU meetings, dope up their tea.. Can you imagine how many problems would get solved? They might find some honesty inside themselves for once!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well what should really anger most of you is the fact that the government holds the patent for the medicinal properties of marijuana.

Linkie

As others have posted, this isnt about whats right or whats fair. It simply profits. Do you know who the primary contributors to the Partnership for a Drug Free America are? Alcoho, Tobacco (up to 1997 when they were caught), and Pharma (still currently contributes). To much money is made behind the scenes to ever justify making it legal.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by ExistenceUnknown]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Source: Jack E. Henningfield, PhD for NIDA, Reported by Philip J. Hilts, New York Times, Aug. 2, 1994 "Is Nicotine Addictive? It Depends on Whose Criteria You Use."
Here is a link to thesource for the graph. soucrce

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

They can keep the patent for that! When the day comes I've got a bush the size of a christmas tree in my living room and no-one can do anything about it then stuff what everyone does with their weed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join