It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 997 To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform En

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

H.R. 997 To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English

www.govtrack.us

To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English language rule for naturalization, and to avoid misconstructions of the English language texts of the laws of the United States, pursuant to Congress' powers to provide for the general welfare of the United States and to establish a uniform rule of naturalization under article I, section 8, of the Constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.house.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Should English Be Our National Language?
English as Official Language? Dems say NO and Repubs say YES
English! Why isn't it official language??? Should it be?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Full text of legislation not yet available. Will post when it does become available.

Finally, we could get a national language! English. I live in Texas. For those of you who do not remember geography, Texas is a border state of Mexico. :lol It is frustrating when workers at some restaraunts and businesses cannot understand or speak English. Even broken English would be acceptable. I wish I knew how to speak foreign languages but I do not.

The bill was introduced by Congressman Steve King. His website can be found in the additional News Links. His website is not updated to show this bill he introduced.

www.govtrack.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I totally agree with the passage of this bill. However, an understanding of the English language is already part of our citizenship testing. Which means those around us that cannot speak English, are not citizens or practicing to become one. They are either here temporarily, in which case this bill may not apply to them, or illegally in which case they have already broken the law once...why not again. Either way, we will still be confronted with the language barriers you mentioned.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I've never understood the problems that some have with having English as the natural language. If people want to live here, they should be able to speak the language.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Since I work with the general public, this issue has been sticking in my craw for years. Certainly took long enough for our spineless LIBERAL POLITICIANS to get their heads out of their asses. When my great grand parents came to this nation from Italy, within six months they had a good grasp of the english language, It showed respect. Unlike the immigrants of today who show no respect because our government enables this type of behavior by printing everything in 27 different languages.....Roy

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
About two years ago in my one and only trip to Texas we were tying to get out of Dallas and get to a place in Arlington. I can't count how many gas stations I stopped at (it was like 230AM) and no one spoke english that worked there.

Listen, I'm NOT racist at all. If I'm going to another country to visit I will at least try to learn some phrases. But if you're going to live in a country and work I think it'd be deemed acceptable to require at least some form of language in order to do so. That'd be like me walking to Moscow and asking for a teller job saying I'm sorry I don't speak communist?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Let me play devil's advocate here. There are small towns in the southwest US that have NEVER been english speaking. They have been spanish only since they were founded before the land was even American. Should these natural born citizens be forced to learn english?

Also - keep in mind the hispanic population in America is grwoing faster than any other. What will happen when spanish speaking citizens make up higher or even a majority of the population?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Most people in this country speak English. Legal immigrants learn English to assimilate into society. Why are the Hispanics special???

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Good. Hope it passes, providing it saves us federal and state taxpayers probably what in today's deflated economy is up to billions of dollars a year printing everything from drivers license tests to road signs and providing translators free of charge in court and in all the public services for two or more languages. What the private sector chooses to do is up to them, but the government has NO business enabling these ridiculous practices on our dime.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

I do believe this is why this bill was introduced. The population is rising and it is high time we adopt a national language. Otherwise, this would be similar to Americans immigration to some other land. Stealing it away from them and refusing to learn the Indian language forcing them to learn ours. Oh wait! That has been done.

I live in an area where one would expect all to at least be able to speak broken English, Dallas. Yet everyday, I encounter someone else who cannot speak a lick of English. I am not talking about people walking around on the street. I am talking about workers. Whether they are employed at a restaurant, pet store, or retail store, all should be required to speak and write English.

Tourists at least have pocket translators or books to help combat the language barrier.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This bill should not force people to speak any language. it should simply stop the need for the government to print all forms and documents in 27 different languages.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wonder should this be passed will it effect the "urban" population who despite generations of American births and living within a high population area seem to be losing the ability to speak English in favor of some lazy tongued unintelligible gibberish?

And they complain they cant get a job.

"Yous hirin'? Can I gets me an apply?"

How sad to consciously choose this life.

I expect that when people claim this shouldnt be forced upon the Spanish speaking population what they are really saying is that the Spanish speaking population lack the ability to learn and therefor shouldnt be subjected to such humiliation. What other reason could their possibly be? Another example of deep-rooted racism within the "equality" crowd. Right up there with assuming the minimum wage decides black vote. Because as we all know the only height a black individual can aspire to is minimum wage.

Personally I dont feel such a law should be needed. Without government interference the free flow of life in America would dictate what needs to be done to survive in America. If there are communities in towns in America who can get by perfectly fine with Sanskrit then why should they learn English? If these people wish to travel to an English speaking area then they are taking the chance something may not go as planned for them. That's liberty. Something we are sorely lacking in America.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't want an official language. I miss when we were thankful for and respectful of our varied heritage.

"Soon, in 'America is Really Stupid Now': LANGUAGE POLICE! Just like those Frenchies ya'll hate!"

[edit on 12-2-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I do not feel that this is an insult nor is it proving that they have a lack in ability to learn English. Their kids go to school here in America and they learn to speak and write English very well. I cannot get a job in Germany without knowing the German language. I cannot get a job in France without knowing the French language. Many countries around the world have adopted a national language. That ensures that the citizens can communicate with one another. Are we to begin broadcasting our presidential speeches in Spanish now since the population is rising?

As far as the "celebration of various cultures" comments. People are perfectly capable of celebrating other cultures while being able to speak other languages as well. If I want to celebrate cinco de mayo, it is not a requirement that I have no knowledge of the English language. I do not understand your mode of thinking regarding this. Are you stating that this is a "violation" of their civil rights?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
reply to post by thisguyrighthere I cannot get a job in Germany without knowing the German language. I cannot get a job in France without knowing the French language.

That depends. You could be in an area of Germany where only English speakers have congregated. You may be able to live out your life fine never uttering a word of German in such a place. Granted for most anything outside the fishbowl you will need an understanding of German but by partaking in any such action knowing you will not be able to communicate you take the risk of absolute failure.

If isolation is an option let them be isolated. Let their English speaking children make up for their parents shortcomings. Just dont use government to lessen the consequences for them not learning English with it's handouts and welfare.

Sink or swim. Some folks choose to sink. Let them sink. No need to mandate the language since society has it taken care of provided external forces quit meddling.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I do not think the national language is the only thing they have to worry about.

H.R. 994 seems to be the bill that rights activists should be worried about. If both of these bills were passed, then where would they stand?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

994 goes along with:

Just dont use government to lessen the consequences for them not learning English with it's handouts and welfare.

I think 997 is a waste of time and more push should be behind 994. With 994 passed and enforced 997 should take care of itself. Ideally anyway.

Always opt for the option that leads to least government involvement and 994 seems to be about removing the hand of the new god from these peoples lives.

997 is jamming the hand of the new god right up into everyones personal space.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just want to say “Glory Glory Halleluiah Glory Glory Halleluiah “ This is something that should have been drafted with the Constitution as far as I am concerned. We live in America we speak English. If you want to live here you should speak English too. Plain and simple it’s sad that they are only doing it now. The interesting thing is to see if it will pass.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
Let me play devil's advocate here. There are small towns in the southwest US that have NEVER been english speaking. They have been spanish only since they were founded before the land was even American. Should these natural born citizens be forced to learn english?

If they want to do business with the rest of the country - Yes. If they want to stay nestled in their own little community where no one speaks English then who cares.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thus far there are 58 co-sponsors. There are a lot of cosponsors from Texas.

H.R. 997

Cosponsors [as of 2009-02-12]
Rep. Patrick Mchenry [R-NC]
Rep. John Kline [R-MN]
Rep. Lynn Westmoreland [R-GA]
Rep. Mary Fallin [R-OK]
Rep. Frank Lucas [R-OK]
Rep. Samuel Johnson [R-TX]
Rep. John Fleming [R-LA]
Rep. Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD]
Rep. Zach Wamp [R-TN]
Rep. Todd Akin [R-MO]