It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of unseen dark comets may be on collision course with Earth,

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

if there are thousands of dark comets on the way to the inner
solar system,

then something perturbed the Oort cloud
or caused a disturbance in the Kuiper belt....

the only two known & hypothetical sources of comets in our parsect of space.

something that is causing thousands of comets to fall toward the Sun
happened not too many years ago, so should still be detectable to some
astronomer somewhere/sometime...
as a Swarm of thousands of comets, coming all at once, would not be the
result of a billiard ball model, where a single comet bumps another, the another, & over time perhaps a dozen comets would fall sunward over a period of many decades

~~hardly a 'Swarm' characterization~

thanks,

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
all i gots ta say is deep impact and the bruce willis movie

nothing new here, move along

bruce and morgan got things covered, affleck might help too if he has too

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
its not hard to belive at all, considering the budget of all the nations on earth only can afford the ability to monitor aprocimately 5% of the space around earth.You think the ocean is big and mostly unexplored,think about space a minute and let it sink in.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
once again the media give the poor people something else to worry about.

Just when you started getting comfortable with global warming, financial problems, lack of work, terrorists, so now they have to give another threat.

we can't have people relaxing now, can we

Great point...

lol

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Udio, do DO know what a 'parsec' is (not a "parsect"), right??

Look, this thread shows how the general public's knowledge of science and astronomy and space is seriously lacking.

Good comment about the Oort Cloud, though Udio!

Folks....our Solar System is vast! It is mostly empty space. Here's one way to picture it....IF you built a scale model just involving the Sun and the Earth, and...say, made the Sun the size of a basketball, then the Earth would about as big as a marble. NOW, put the basketball that we call the Sun, in our model, on a football (or soccer) field. The Earth (our marble) would be at the extreme other end of that 300-foot field (roughly 100 metres).

For you math pros out there, knowing that the average distance from the Earth to the sun is approximately 96,000,000 miles (sorry, you can do the KM conversion...OK, I'll do it for you....let's get the calculator...153,600,000 KM)

That is the radius of the Earth's orbit. Using math you can deduce the circumference, in miles or KM, and knowing (at least I hope everyone knows) that the Earth completes one orbit in about 365 days, you can now calculate the speed of the Earth as it travels in the elipse that we call its orbit.

Simple, eh?

Now, you have, in our scale model, a marble flying in a circle of about 600 feet diameter, and a grain of sand (that would be the mean ole' comet) trying to hit it.

I get better odds in Las Vegas....

EDIT...(BTW, a 'parsec' is a unit of distance, not time....it is about 3.26 Light Years. So, you Han Solo fans of 'Star Wars' fame can hoot and holler when you hear him brag about the speed of his ship in the infamous bar scene from the movie)

[edit on 2/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

Second EDIT....I had to do this, because I forgot to mention it before....the concept of 'black' comets is distracting. Example: The asteroids (in the orbit where a planet SHOULD be, outside of Mars', but inside of Jupiter's orbits) are considered to be rocky, little ice....yet, they are easily observed (the bigger ones) because they still reflect sunlight.

Comets are visually compelling BECAUSE of the ice....they are thought to be a loosely-held conglomerate of rocky innards, with the outer ice shell.

One more thing: The 'tail' of a comet is actually resulting from the Solar Wind....as it nears a Star and heats up. So, for instance, a comet can be travellingin one direction, and the 'tail' will be a completely different angle from its direction of motion. the 'tail' ALWAYS points away from the star. Regardless of the comet's motion in orbit.

[edit on 2/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join