It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of unseen dark comets may be on collision course with Earth,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Thousands of unseen dark comets may be on collision

www.dailymail.co.uk

Thousands of invisible 'dark' comets may be posing an unseen threat to Earth, according to two British astronomers.

A 'dark' comet is one which has shed its bright water ice, leaving an inner organic crust that reflects only a small fraction of light.

Because it does not glow, a dark comet on collision course with the Earth could easily escape detection until disaster looms
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed long link]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by smokingman2006]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This story sounds strange dark comets I can say I have never heard of them till today.

Do any of the member here know anything more about Dark comets?

And why are they so hard to detect?

I like the way they say thousands but once you read the story its more like a billion to one chance.

Your coments please

Peace & hope
SM

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-2-2009 by smokingman2006]

[edit: fixed long link]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Weird my dream was about small asteroids hitting last night not saying I'm psychic or anything just pure coincidence it's more strange I remember it than anything else.

My logic tells me were probably safe though and it's not like we have the ability to do anything about it either way as long as there no planet killers mentioned I'm not going to stress about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Oh bother.
Now invisible doom and gloom coming to destroy us.

Ok, well, I'm going to go get a good book, a candle, a bottle of something intoxicating, a package of marshmallows and dogs and crawl into a hole until this is all over.

Someone tell me when it's safe to come out...

Sorry OP I mean it’s a great find but when someone says it’s a *hazard* to earth, but doesn’t even bother to tell us HOW it’s a hazard to earth, I get all doomy and gloomy feeling.

S&F

I think...

peace

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Of course its a hazard to Earth.

The exact same way its been a hazard to Earth for the entire lifetimes of everyone alive now..

..but we're still here, aren't we?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
once again the media give the poor people something else to worry about.

Just when you started getting comfortable with global warming, financial problems, lack of work, terrorists, so now they have to give another threat.

we can't have people relaxing now, can we

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Hello,

Heres a link to an article thats got some info on what 'dark comets' may be:

Such dark comets are not unheard of. They occur when an "active" comet's reflective water ice has evaporated away, leaving behind an organic crust that only reflects a small fraction of light.

www.newscientist.com...

Damn now they are near enough invisible- good plot for a film though. ( Rings Up Holywood- Invisible Impact?)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by User4372

does this "comet's reflective water ice has evaporated " mean there was water or ice once on these comets???

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

In a nutshell, yes.
When you see a comet in the sky, that white hazy blur?
Thats sunlight reflecting off the ice on the comet, and the 'tail' is the water ice slowly vapourising as the comet approaches the sun.

Underneath all the frozen water on the surface, comets consist of a hard, rocky interior.

Imagine, for example, a planet like Mercury. Make it a bit smaller, thousands of miles from the sun, with a surface covered with ice.
Kinda the same idea.

Edit to add - the rocky interior doesn't necessarily have to be spherical. Can be though.

Just to avoid any confusion.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by selfisolated]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Funnily enough, conspiracy theorist back in like the 80s were saying the fear is the tool that government would use to control the people, they also said first it was russians(check) then it'll be terrorists(check) then asteroids(maybe??) and then finally actual Extra-terrestials(still time) seems like the old shool boys were spot on.

As long as there anything in our universe we know little about the government will use it to stay in power. I know its slightly off topic but you know all those sheeples and goverment admins that justify bush by saying "well, thanks to Bush we haven't had another incident like 911" awesome just how many did you have before? I mean terrorists have been around for a while, what did they just decide to attack when the government appporvals were low?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Ok, well, I'm going to go get a good book, a candle, a bottle of something intoxicating, a package of marshmallows and dogs and crawl into a hole until this is all over.
:lo
l:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
At that point wouldn't it just be called a meteor then?

There's plenty of meteors that have no ice reflecting the sunlight so I can't see how this would really be any more of a threat than the standard meteor hurling around space.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So what are you trying to say? Black Comets are worse than White Ones?

Jk

The Earth needs a big defensive net around it, we have no planetary defenses in any way for any reason including the ones we don't know about, Our leaders are all Morons.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow Clown
reply to post by munkey66

Funnily enough, conspiracy theorist back in like the 80s were saying the fear is the tool that government would use to control the people, they also said first it was russians(check) then it'll be terrorists(check) then asteroids(maybe??) and then finally actual Extra-terrestials(still time) seems like the old shool boys were spot on.

You have to watch this if you haven't yet:
www.youtube.com...

I sometimes wonder if there is a defacto government above all the known governments of the world.

[edit on 2/12/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I think we have WAY more up there than the public has been made aware of. Reagan's Star Wars was NOT a failure I believe. My goodness, we have fairly recently found out about the SR-22 and they were flying it in VIETNAM! With the explosion of technology in the last 30 years, just imagine the things we have now!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I fail to see how this differs from the thousands of supposedly visible comets and meteors that lay undiscovered and could potentialy pose a threat to earth, either way i cant see there would be to much we could do about them if we dont know they are on the way, unless Bruce Willis can see into the future that is.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

If I get any more good news this week I’ll freak out. If its not one thing it’s another. Anyone knows where them damn “Space Cowboys” are.

Sorry OP it’s a fair news article it really is, but I presume they can still be detected without visual.

MJ2

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow Clown

The fear formula goes back further than the 80's; but it is nice to see people recognizing it for what it is.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
I fail to see how this differs from the thousands of supposedly visible comets and meteors that lay undiscovered and could potentialy pose a threat to earth, either way i cant see there would be to much we could do about them if we dont know they are on the way, unless Bruce Willis can see into the future that is.

I think the difference is that there wouldn't be much time to prepare. Although, I don't think there's much of a chance of one impacting earth, we wouldn't be able to project it's path years ahead of time like the ones we can see. We only saw the 1983 one 2 weeks before it passed.

The rate that bright comets pass through the Solar System suggests there should be 3,000 of them flying around, yet only 25 have been detected. Most may have remained hidden because they are too dark to see, say the astronomers.

In 1983 the comet IRAS-Araki-Alcock passed by the Earth at a distance of five million kilometres, the closest approach of any comet for 200 years.

With just 1 per cent of its surface active and reflecting light, it was only spotted two weeks ahead of its arrival, said Dr Napier.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

But thats what i mean if a visible comet/meteor is undiscovered because we are looking in the wrong place, we wouldnt have anytime to prepare anyway. I agree there probably isnt much chance of it happening but if it does we may never know what hit us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join