It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election 2000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I am posting this because of my reaction to reading this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I started writing it as a response, but decided that it deserved its own topic.

Ok, I have decided to say something about this because I just don't understand how people can be so confused.

Election Year 2000......Al Gore wins the popular vote. Well, I guess that entitles him to victory right???

WRONG!!! For the love of pete does anyone know why we have the electoral college do the voting? It is there for a reason, and a good one at that.

First misconception people have. This country is not a democracy, rather a representative republic. Learn the difference.

Second misconception. Things have not changed enough in this country to warrant a popular voting system. Why would democrats what that? Ill tell you why. Because of major population concentrations in the big cities. The Electoral college is there so that presidential candidates have no choice but to consider people from all across the board. Not just the labor, minority, and low income based inner cities. They have to take into account the needs and wishes of the lower populated areas. Like South Dakota or Montana. You could win an election based solely on major city voting if you wanted. In other words, by popular voting standards, someone could win an election JUST BY APPEASING THOSE WHO LIVE IN HIGH POPULATED AREAS. Are the voices of those who do not fall into that category worthless or unimportant?????

It is insane to ignore these facts. It is insane to say they are irrelevant at this day and age because of the internet and whatnot. These are serious issues that were valid 100 years ago and are valid now. The only people who can honestly say that they should not at least be considered highly are not educated in the subject.

There is no conspiracy!!!!! Man alive.......

[Edited on 4/14/2004 by Seapeople]

new topics

join