It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How hard to find SSBN

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
well i could work as a range detector if u were quick enough
but wouldnt recomend it
tridents are really quiet though

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
No it is not used to detect other submarines, it is used to signify friendlies of your current position.

Shattered OUT...

OK, but then in my situation, with US subs stalking Russian ones, this would be used to let the Russian subs know that they were in fact being stalked would it not?

I mean, if like you said it is used to show where you are to a friendly, it would likewise show the enemy right? So here, imagine being a Russian admiral, and you find out that every single one of your SSBNs were trailed by the enemy unknown to your subs. All at once it is revealed that every nuke sub you have would have been destroyed during a war. Kind of shows US dominance IMHO...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

No it is not used to detect other submarines, it is used to signify friendlies of your current position.

Shattered OUT...

OK, but then in my situation, with US subs stalking Russian ones, this would be used to let the Russian subs know that they were in fact being stalked would it not?

I mean, if like you said it is used to show where you are to a friendly, it would likewise show the enemy right? So here, imagine being a Russian admiral, and you find out that every single one of your SSBNs were trailed by the enemy unknown to your subs. All at once it is revealed that every nuke sub you have would have been destroyed during a war. Kind of shows US dominance IMHO...

So a country shouldn't have its nuclear deterrant solely based on a submarine force which is what UK has

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Shattered OUT...

So a country shouldn't have its nuclear deterrant solely based on a submarine force which is what UK has

I would agree

Thats why the US has ICBM's, SSBN's and a bomber fleet. That way it has options. If I am correct, US nuclear strategy is to fire ICBM's first, followed by bombing runs from B-2s. The SSBN's are actually used for mop up duty, and to prevent the US from losing it's nuclear advantage.

You see, everyone knows, more or less where our missle silos are, they know where are air bases are. They don't know where are subs are, so that is the insurence policy. However, I am also preatty surtain if there were time critical targets, then SSBNs would be used to take these targets out.

I wouldn't worry too much though - the US has the UKs back, so it's not like if you got in a war there wouldn't be another nuclear deterent. In fact, I'd recon this is why you only have nukes on subs (if that is the case) because your greatest ally has a three pronged system already in place to cover you.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
yeah but it really does worry us that we have to rely on u no offence intended
i mean what would happen if ur forces had a problem that required the nukes u have stationd here? we would be ok it just isnt very ..........reasuring

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by minimi
MAD kit is mentioned in several novels i have read. The UK currently have it in Nimrod ASW aircraft.
I too hope we keep our deterrent force.We can't solely rely on the US for protection (not doubting its loyalty, we just can't be completely dependant on it) and can you really see France rushing to our aid? When India/Pakistan or China/Taiwan or N Korea decide to play with nukes someones gonna have to stop them.
I'd still like to see the Vulcans up there wiith their Blue Steel too.

Going back to this I would like to see maybe a small number of Tornados or even Vulcans with the gravity nuclear bomb or maybe a cruise missile with a small nuclear warhead

Vulcan Bombers looked so good too

EDIT : REMOVED BROKEN LINK OF PICTURE (Vulcan)

[edit on 26/6/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
yeah but it really does worry us that we have to rely on u no offence intended
i mean what would happen if ur forces had a problem that required the nukes u have stationd here? we would be ok it just isnt very ..........reasuring

None taken - I would want self relience also. I guess my point is that if the US gets in a war, the UK is in it as well and vice versa. So as far as a nuclear deterent, you could probably pool our forces because most likely thats how it would play out. Also, are you 100% sure that the UK has no other nuclear delivery systems? I would imagine you at least have some kind of nuclear bombing system.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i think we have some bombers and mabye some icbms but no 1 is sure what the MOD has now adays

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

None taken - I would want self relience also. I guess my point is that if the US gets in a war, the UK is in it as well and vice versa. So as far as a nuclear deterent, you could probably pool our forces because most likely thats how it would play out. Also, are you 100% sure that the UK has no other nuclear delivery systems? I would imagine you at least have some kind of nuclear bombing system.

Britain used to have the V bomber force and operated Thor ICBM with dual key with Americans but we have only a SLBM force now. They say we dont need as many nuclear weapons as the world is supposedly safer but we all know how much money nuclear bombers and missiles cost and about the British Armed Forces not getting their fair share of the money

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
yeah where is all the money the MOD is due
i mean come on the only guys that are getting the proper gear are the marines

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

yeah where is all the money the MOD is due
i mean come on the only guys that are getting the proper gear are the marines

Governments just keep cutting and cutting so they can plough it into raliways and hospitals which are so good so the MOD never gets enough so people die in Iraq because they had to give back body armour as there are problems

See here for more info

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i hate them damm polititions they cost us good men just so they could get to work better on the stupid train !
i mean come on in ww1 our men where better equiped with gear !

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

i hate them damm polititions they cost us good men just so they could get to work better on the stupid train !
i mean come on in ww1 our men where better equiped with gear !

I totally agree. If I got into the Government I'd finally give our troops the equipment not just that they deserve but need to stay alive. Probably sell off some of those palaces of Royal Family. Im sure they dont need all of them

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have to say, of all the problems we have over here state side, I am happy to say that our military is well funded.... What they do with that money however is subject to debate.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
u know what annoys me is that we put SOOO much money into projects we know will fail.
also y cant we just get a new rifle we spent what 38 mill on a fixing the SA-80 did it work ? nope it still jams
38 mill and what they come up wi a dust cover ! a fking dust cover!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Shattered OUT...

Umm sorry, that is what the gertrude is for.

Active Sonar is used to get precise targeting information on submarines.

It can also be used to map out under ice areas to pick out the best place to pop out of the icepack.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

u know what annoys me is that we put SOOO much money into projects we know will fail.
also y cant we just get a new rifle we spent what 38 mill on a fixing the SA-80 did it work ? nope it still jams

They should replace that gun with HK G36 or US Army's prototype Assault Rifle if they cant afford it, which I doubt they can. The Government will probably say upgrade SA80. Fools

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Can I ask you all, Have my threads been OK?

I'd just like to know because this and the Favourite tanks one are my first 2

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Can I ask you all, Have my threads been OK?

I'd just like to know because this and the Favourite tanks one are my first 2

Well, I am enjoying them

Only pointer is that most of the "what is your favourite...." and "what would win? a _____ or a ____?" have been posted so make sure you use the search engine to make sure it's not already there.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

They should replace that gun with HK G36 or US Army's prototype Assault Rifle if they cant afford it, which I doubt they can. The Government will probably say upgrade SA80. Fools

Man, you know the SA-80 looks soooo sweet, it is a real shame that they have such problems. As far as the US prototype, do you mean the OICW? If so, I doubt it - the US army isn't even going to be making them the regular rifle. It is going to replace the m-16A2 with the grenade launcher, and will also be given to SF units. The main problem with them (other then battery life, bulk ect ect) is that the 20mm ammo costs something like 20 dollars a round. If you are having funding problems, this would NOT be the way to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join