It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How hard to find SSBN

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I am wondering how easy it is to detect a SSBN on nuclear patrol. Are they really that impossible to find.
Does anyone know?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Russian ones are easy to find, so are the Chinese.

Then the French
Then the UK
Finally the US

Good luck finding a US SSBN.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Finally the US

Good luck finding a US SSBN.

If you find a US SSBN and live to tell about it, then I will pesonally congradulate you, and give you a golden medal for a job well done because believe me, finding a US SSBN is like getting bigfoot to give you a footrub.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
well actually russian subs are pretty good at hiding also us subs are like any subs it really depends on whos comanding it
if uv got a good guy practicaly any ssbn could hide but with all this sensor equipment i doubt that u could find 1 on a first sweep

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I couldnt imagine being aboard a submarine as long as these guys have to endure it. I would probably go insano.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The main way subs are detected is by their sound emissions, and by this the easiest to detect are Russian subs. The quietest subs are British ones.
The other way to find subs is with MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection) kit. With this, the bigger the sub the easiest it would be to find, no matter whose it was.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
aye i kent about the first 1 but the second 1 is a bit new to me i remeber reading about it in red storm but thats it

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by minimi
The main way subs are detected is by their sound emissions, and by this the easiest to detect are Russian subs. The quietest subs are British ones.
The other way to find subs is with MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection) kit. With this, the bigger the sub the easiest it would be to find, no matter whose it was.

No, the American ones are the quietest. Always have been, always will be.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Russian submarines have been quite noisy in the past; this is true. But they have made recent advancements - and Putin is pushing the nuclear subs even when there's no money for them.

armedservices.house.gov...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Both Russian subs and U.S. subs are the most quiet possible subs, subs were the primary weapons in the cold war, that is why the technology is so advanced in just a few decades, the tech tree was pushed up.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Mottos of the US ballistic missile submarine fleet

"We Hide With Pride"

"Chicnken of the Sea" this one is what the fast attack sub skippers call em

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
US subs are damn near impossable to find. My dad was lucky enough to get on the USS Pennsylvania (still have no clue how he pulled that one off being a civillian) and said that they would just go where ever the hell they wanted and other war ships had no idea that they were there.

Another known fact about the cold war: During the 80's, the US sub fleet used to tail all the Russian subs. Every once in a while, they would all ping and target the Russian SSBN's at once - all within like a 20 sec time period - just to let the Russians know who would win the sub war. US military tech is unmatched

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
well actually the british sub tech is actually about equal

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Sorry to break it to you, but no it isn't. Don't get me wrong your subs are good, but not good enough to be called almost equal.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Its good to know. Im surprised the Government havent gotten rid of Britains nuke deterrant considering the nuke bomb for planes was retired. I hope they keep the tridents. We need them in this increasingly uncertain world

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
MAD kit is mentioned in several novels i have read. The UK currently have it in Nimrod ASW aircraft.
I too hope we keep our deterrent force.We can't solely rely on the US for protection (not doubting its loyalty, we just can't be completely dependant on it) and can you really see France rushing to our aid? When India/Pakistan or China/Taiwan or N Korea decide to play with nukes someones gonna have to stop them.
I'd still like to see the Vulcans up there wiith their Blue Steel too.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Hate to be the one to break it to you, and this isn't to talk # or anything, but US subs - especially US SSBN's are far and away the best, quitest, most advanced ECT ECT ECT. Just the simple truth. British subs are very good, for sure, and carry powerfull nuclear missles as do the US subs, but US subs are unmatched. Period.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
oh really then exsplain y ur subs dorsal fins have not changed positions in the entire us navys lifetime when u know that having dorsal fins directly at the bow of the craft increases the ability of the craft to turn ?
oh and just thought id mention we do have the best trained men using them so ha

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

oh really then exsplain y ur subs dorsal fins have not changed positions in the entire us navys lifetime when u know that having dorsal fins directly at the bow of the craft increases the ability of the craft to turn ?
oh and just thought id mention we do have the best trained men using them so ha

Devil,
What are you basing your facts on?

US Submariners are the most well trained ones in the world. If you saw the training that they went through you would agree.

Also, the US Navy has the highest operating budget in the world and that equals time at sea to practice.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I dont want to stray off course here,but my Uncle Chris is on the USS Parche.

Lord only knows what they do.He cant even tell us when they are going out for patrols.

From what I gather its a 'spy sub' so I would imagine that its really hard to find.

I know a ex CWO 4 that was a lifer on subs and he was telling me how they would pull into Soviet harbors and spy on the ships there.Take pictures,listen to communications ect.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join