It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is SETI just a smokescreen?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schleprock
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

If they would have even had a security camera pointed that way, surely they would have caught something.

hehe, hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?

Note to self:

"If I ever decide to start a radio telescope, be sure to put a security camera pointing to *that* field over to the south east.. ya know, just in case"

-rrr
-rrr

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Savior Complex:

If I were to try to pull this off, you need to have GPS, and a mobile WAAS transmitter, and custom software in a handheld GPS where the bitmap is rendered as position to "stomp on" or not. Then you get a small team of people (a couple dozen) to carry these custom programmed gadgets and stomp around if the screen turns red and avoid stomping if it turns yellow, something like that.

-rrr

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
hello, im sorry if this has been posted before,

do you think the SETI is just a smokescreen to make us think that contact has not and is not taking place with other life??

i mean they have been listening in for a long time with no concrete results.

i found this piece of info that tells us how it started "Early work, the "Wow!" signal, and SERENDIP
In 1960, Cornell University astronomer Frank Drake performed the first modern SETI experiment, named "Project Ozma", after the Queen of Oz in L. Frank Baum's fantasy books. Drake used a 26-meter-diameter radio telescope at Green Bank, West Virginia, to examine the stars Tau Ceti and Epsilon Eridani near the 1.420 gigahertz marker frequency. A 400 kilohertz band was scanned around the marker frequency, using a single-channel receiver with a bandwidth of 100 hertz. The information was stored on tape for off-line analysis. He found nothing of great interest.

The first SETI conference took place at Green Bank in 1961. The Soviets took a strong interest in SETI during the 1960s and performed a number of searches with omnidirectional antennas in the hope of picking up powerful radio signals. American astronomer (and occasional TV host) Carl Sagan and Soviet astronomer Iosif Shklovskii together wrote the pioneering book in the field, Intelligent Life in the Universe which was published in 1966.[2]

The first 360 feet (110 m) wide, 500 feet (150 m) long, and 70 feet (21 m) high Kraus-style radio telescope was powered up in 1963. In the March 1955 issue of Scientific American, Dr. John Kraus, Professor Emeritus and McDougal Professor of Electrical Engineering and Astronomy at the Ohio State University, described a concept to scan the cosmos for natural radio signals using a flat-plane radio telescope equipped with a parabolic reflector. Within two years, his concept was approved for construction by the Ohio State University. With $71,000 total in grants from the National Science Foundation, construction began on a 20 acre plot in Delaware, Ohio. This Ohio State University radio telescope was called Big Ear. Later, it began the world's first continuous SETI program, called the Ohio State University SETI program.

In 1971, NASA funded a SETI study that involved Drake, Bernard Oliver of Hewlett-Packard Corporation, and others. The resulting report proposed the construction of an Earth-based radio telescope array with 1,500 dishes known as "Project Cyclops". The price tag for the Cyclops array was $10 billion USD. Cyclops was not built, but the report[3] formed the basis of much SETI work that followed.

In 1974, a largely symbolic attempt was made at the Arecibo Observatory to send a message to other worlds. It was sent towards the globular star cluster M13, which is 25,000 light years from Earth.

The WOW! SignalThe OSU SETI program gained fame on August 15, 1977 when Dr. Jerry R. Ehman, a project volunteer, witnessed a startlingly strong signal received by the telescope. He quickly circled the indication on a printout and scribbled the phrase “Wow!” in the margin. This signal, dubbed the Wow! signal, is considered by some to be the most likely candidate from an artificial, extraterrestrial source ever discovered, but it has not been detected again in several additional searches.

In 1979 the University of California, Berkeley launched a SETI project named "Search for Extraterrestrial Radio Emissions from Nearby Developed Intelligent Populations (SERENDIP)".[4] In 1986, UC Berkeley initiated their second SETI effort, SERENDIP II, and has continued with two more SERENDIP efforts to the present day. "

so what do you all think???? is this place for real, do they think they will get contact or is it a smokescreen??

also have they had other contacts we dont know about???

One word: yes

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Actually, ufo researchers have done an awful lot more than what seti has or will ever do! And I am not attacking anyone or anything, it just happens that the truth hurts sometimes and I can see that you don't like it.

And what have they accomplished?

As far as I know, whether we are alone in the universe or not is still a question that is open for debate.

Why are you guys having an argument about who's winning? is that what the UFO subject is about? the glory of a group?

-rrr

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
As far as I know, whether we are alone in the universe or not is still a question that is open for debate.

Apparently you don't realize that it is not up for debate. Perhaps if you were to rephrase that statement, you'd be closer, but, no, you are wrong.

It is a FACT that there are other Beings/Intelligent civilizations out there, HOWEVER, the real question would be "Are there any intelligent civilizations/beings within a range which would make their existence relevant?"

Life popped up here, millions of years ago, in thousands of different forms. Plants, Insects, Mammals, Reptiles...

Now, in the event that earth supporting life was a coincidence, or freak accident, there would still be trillions of 'Habitable' (by OUR standards) planets, which could easily sprout life.

The question is NOT 'if' ... The REAL question is 'Where'.

As well, I would implore you to attempt to constructively ADD to threads you choose to post your opinion in. You don't bring anything to the table, except to belittle and bring down others for their views.

Why post at all if you aren't trying to be constructive towards the topic?

Back on topic;
SETI is not a smokescreen. Just looking for the wrong things, since our society hasn't come up with a better way to search... but that is just my opinion, take it, or leave it, up to you.

J

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I can't say it's a smokescreen. If it is they cut funding to their smokescreen in 2006 ish. Now a private person funds the research.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I said it before- I'll say it again. let's see if someone actually responds.

I have started to see SETI as less a 'search', and more like a 'doorbell' for the ones who come here regularly. I am guessing they have a radio transmitter set to a frequency almost matching, but not quite what Seti looks for (so it can be discounted as extreme noise, space probes, what have you). I am guessing when something anomalous, or what almost could be a signal comes in, the signal is 'discredited', but then either knowingly or the computer's programmed to send the signal to the 'correct' people. For whatever reason, the advanced communications may not work. or the means to communicate would disrupt our communications a lot. Or the antenna that is needed would NEVER be concealable. or it's the way the solar system's put together. Who knows.

I am sure you're asking '..ok... but why involve regular people?' Easy- the PTB LOVE having pawns. When aliens 'officially' show up, I will bet you money Every. Last. Person. Running SETI@Home will get a hit. Then a few weeks or a couple months later- "Oh look! Aliens!". Those people will be heroes, and the world will not notice our govt(s) and the ETs making dirty dealings behind closed doors.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by wylekat]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
In any case SETI is a diversion from the truth of UFO/ET reports whether they are part of the cover up or not.

I completely agree with you.
SETI is a joke in my point of view. But what did Mr. Shostak say on Larry King Live? He is doing his job for a living. Yep, and since he must have a damn good income, why would he want to risk his job????

And yes, all these wonderful UFO sightings and testimonies ... but no .. these things get no attention. Of course, SETI seeks the truth. Shall I believe everything I am told ?

Greetings

[edit on 25-2-2009 by TheWriter]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join