It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is SETI just a smokescreen?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
hello, im sorry if this has been posted before,

do you think the SETI is just a smokescreen to make us think that contact has not and is not taking place with other life??

i mean they have been listening in for a long time with no concrete results.

i found this piece of info that tells us how it started "Early work, the "Wow!" signal, and SERENDIP
In 1960, Cornell University astronomer Frank Drake performed the first modern SETI experiment, named "Project Ozma", after the Queen of Oz in L. Frank Baum's fantasy books. Drake used a 26-meter-diameter radio telescope at Green Bank, West Virginia, to examine the stars Tau Ceti and Epsilon Eridani near the 1.420 gigahertz marker frequency. A 400 kilohertz band was scanned around the marker frequency, using a single-channel receiver with a bandwidth of 100 hertz. The information was stored on tape for off-line analysis. He found nothing of great interest.

The first SETI conference took place at Green Bank in 1961. The Soviets took a strong interest in SETI during the 1960s and performed a number of searches with omnidirectional antennas in the hope of picking up powerful radio signals. American astronomer (and occasional TV host) Carl Sagan and Soviet astronomer Iosif Shklovskii together wrote the pioneering book in the field, Intelligent Life in the Universe which was published in 1966.[2]

The first 360 feet (110 m) wide, 500 feet (150 m) long, and 70 feet (21 m) high Kraus-style radio telescope was powered up in 1963. In the March 1955 issue of Scientific American, Dr. John Kraus, Professor Emeritus and McDougal Professor of Electrical Engineering and Astronomy at the Ohio State University, described a concept to scan the cosmos for natural radio signals using a flat-plane radio telescope equipped with a parabolic reflector. Within two years, his concept was approved for construction by the Ohio State University. With $71,000 total in grants from the National Science Foundation, construction began on a 20 acre plot in Delaware, Ohio. This Ohio State University radio telescope was called Big Ear. Later, it began the world's first continuous SETI program, called the Ohio State University SETI program.

In 1971, NASA funded a SETI study that involved Drake, Bernard Oliver of Hewlett-Packard Corporation, and others. The resulting report proposed the construction of an Earth-based radio telescope array with 1,500 dishes known as "Project Cyclops". The price tag for the Cyclops array was $10 billion USD. Cyclops was not built, but the report[3] formed the basis of much SETI work that followed.

In 1974, a largely symbolic attempt was made at the Arecibo Observatory to send a message to other worlds. It was sent towards the globular star cluster M13, which is 25,000 light years from Earth.

The WOW! SignalThe OSU SETI program gained fame on August 15, 1977 when Dr. Jerry R. Ehman, a project volunteer, witnessed a startlingly strong signal received by the telescope. He quickly circled the indication on a printout and scribbled the phrase “Wow!” in the margin. This signal, dubbed the Wow! signal, is considered by some to be the most likely candidate from an artificial, extraterrestrial source ever discovered, but it has not been detected again in several additional searches.

In 1979 the University of California, Berkeley launched a SETI project named "Search for Extraterrestrial Radio Emissions from Nearby Developed Intelligent Populations (SERENDIP)".[4] In 1986, UC Berkeley initiated their second SETI effort, SERENDIP II, and has continued with two more SERENDIP efforts to the present day. "

so what do you all think???? is this place for real, do they think they will get contact or is it a smokescreen??

also have they had other contacts we dont know about???

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
In any case SETI is a diversion from the truth of UFO/ET reports whether they are part of the cover up or not. Anybody looking for radio signals by ETs and ignoring a pile of higly credible UFO reports is wasting their time studying the subject, IMO. To me its akin to looking for a needle in a haystack when a stack of needles is sitting right next to the pile of hay.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Frith

To me its akin to looking for a needle in a haystack when a stack of needles is sitting right next to the pile of hay.

That's exactly what I think. Why are they ignoring all the other evidence and centering their work around only one small part? I thought looking at ALL the evidence was the scientific way to go?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
too right.

if its a search then why not exhaust all means, not just radio frequencies.

and another thing........with the internet technologies now...why arent places like this streaming live so if anything does happen we will all know together!!!!

who should have the right to find stuff b4 anyone else.??

seti is false!!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I believe the two SETI cropcircle formations say it all...

Hoax my arse.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by YouAreDreaming]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
ive seen those b4, did not realise they were at seti though!! who is the face?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Either an Alien self-portrait, or they are acknowledging what we look like.

I believe there are real alien cropcircles, and man made hoaxes. No doubt other intelligence is making a large number of them, it is communication.

The geometrical math alone is astronomically brilliant once you get into it.

This response as you probably know is an alien response to seti's original binary code they sent out.

There is the reply... face value for all of us willing to accept it, to observe and acknowledge.

Yet seti calls it a hoax... gfts.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

I thought that someone was manning the SETI site 24/7? If so, how did they miss those crop circles being made? If they would have even had a security camera pointed that way, surely they would have caught something.

I think SETI is a scam.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
i agree, some crop circles are amazing. i have read lots about sacred geometry which is in many circles.

if they are faked they must have been done by a genius and not a bunch of students after some pints of cider.

when will we ever be told the real truth?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

You have to find that truth for yourselves. It is clear the powers that be, are clearly wanting total denial of anything pointing to alien life, quite largely due to their desire to completely control us with full spectrum dominance.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Schleprock

The fact is, they are just a PSI-OP... period.

Meant to create disinformation and denial.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Absolutely it's just a smokescreen, although I do not believe the workers there(most) even realize it. I mean wouldn't the only race sending out messages like that be pretty much human, sure radio frequencies are all over the universe, but the sending out tiny packets in a tiny fraction of the almost infinte sky, I'm sure most races would have advanced a bit beyond that and simply started checking things personally. I mean its just not pratical. And with all the space junk and infinite other obstacles out there...It's just a ruse set up so they can pretend they're trying and keep the public in the dark.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
i agree. if we are seeing UFO's then im sure they are slightly past CB radios!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schleprock
I thought that someone was manning the SETI site 24/7? If so, how did they miss those crop circles being made? If they would have even had a security camera pointed that way, surely they would have caught something.

That is not the SETI site, it is just a site that participates in SETI activities. Staffing dedicated to SETI varies by location; there may or may not have been someone there when the circle was being created. But either way, those staffing the facility would have been inside concentrating on their workstations, not worrying what was going on in a crop field a few football fields away. Anyone who did happen to look outside would not have noticed the agro-glyphs being made; the crops would be at more-or-less at eye-level and the agro-glyphs would only be visible from higher elevations. This website shows an eye-level view of the observatory from the field. And breaking this down logically, what would someone looking outside be more likely to notice, a few people hundreds of yards away in the dark...or some alien craft carving them images into the field?

Besides, why would the aliens leave their reply in Chilbolton when the message was sent from Arecibo?

And on top of it all, if aliens did recieve the signal and were attempting to contact us, why did they do it in what amounts to an ambigious manner, something that is open to debate? Why not do it in a more direct manner?

[edit on 12-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I used to have SETI@home on my computer. I let it do the work packets they sent me for over 5 years.

In that time I never had a hit on any of my data. When I finally gave up on them and dumped the program late last year, I was sent a certificate telling me that I was responsible for doing "28,052 cobblestones of computations".

Put another way, that is 24.24 quadrillion floating point operations.

I was just one guy and there are millions of people still doing work for them.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that if it was a legitimate look for ET, something...any little something would have made the headlines by now.

The SETI project has been ongoing for so long and yet no results.

How do they still get funding and from who??

[edit on 12-2-2009 by wolf241e]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
The SETI project has been ongoing for so long and yet no results.

How do they still get funding and from who??

The same could be said of UFO researchers; it's been 60 years since Kenneth Arnold's sightings and believers are no closer to the supposed truth than they were then. They have produced nothing that has convinced the world once-and-for-all.

To answer your other question, SETI projects are privately funded.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

In an interview without cliché, a retired American scientist/engineer from the University of California, Berkeley, SETI program, follower of Taoism, enthusiast of the amazing and mysterious behavior of the most elemental particles in physics, Gerry Zeitlin talks about extraterrestrial life, the SETI, the Myths and the ancients Gods, about Reptilians and the Disclosure Project

Let start with this "hypothesis": some scientists and workers for SETI are well aware of the UFO phenomenon and really believe that the US government is in "physical" and tangible contact with E.T, E.B.E and related technology. How can you explain the "schizophrenic" situation of the SETI institution which continues to pretend that we are still looking for a signal, an intelligent contact and which know the reality of the situation. Don’t you think that this "hypothesis" is realistic? Do you know some scientists (who will remain anonymous) who agree with this hypothesis?

The hypothesis is quite plausible, given what we know of our society’s other institutions. In this model, a few scientists and workers at the top will have been briefed and there will be a program which they are following. Those not at the top, who do not know, would be moved by the force of personality of those who do know. This model would lead to the behavior that we see.

Read More here...

IP

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The peculiar attitude of UFO believers towards SETI plumbs the depths of both stupidity and hypocrisy. Those behind SETI and METI are doing work that, by all measures, the believers should support. In fact, if SETI/METI's work proves successful, it will only lend weight to the believers arguments. However, because those behind SETI/METI are not focusing exclusively on flying saucers, the believers idiotically attack it. These hypocrites bash it for not producing the results the believers themselves have failed to produce themselves in 60 years.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Thata a good point what being dark and all, but really, something that size and complex would surely take alot of time if its man made done over a series or nights, let alone the fact making two pictures like that would not only require an aerial view of the progress and knowledge of the transmission sent and more then likely high mathematical knowledge, So really unless the SETI team there or whatever made it themselves in which case why would they say it was a hoax? Go do all that work and tell people they didnt do it yet its a definte hoax?!?! Or it would've taken a team of 10 or something working like all night(without any lightsource as tyhis would attract attention) and continually for what like 2 weeeks not to mention renting a helicopter to see if its aligning right, i mean it wiould be impossible to make that from guess work

As to why would aliens communicate in crop circles, probably to show the whole public while remainning discreet from higher powers.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
i agree. if we are seeing UFO's then im sure they are slightly past CB radios!!!

While it is true that civilizations more advanced than our own will have moved past using radio-signals for communications, the search for extraterrestrial communications is limited by our current level of technology. Once we develop new methods of communication, we can start searching for extraterrestrials based on that. Until then, we are fettered to what we have and know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join