It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Mexican island fuels mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Missing Mexican island fuels mystery

www.spacedaily.com

Bermeja island in the Gulf of Mexico -- a strategic marker defining US and Mexican maritime and subsea rights -- has disappeared along with documents backing up a bilateral treaty on major oil reserves in the area, fueling rumors of a CIA plot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hey All -
I just came across this little tid-bit today.
Apparently there WAS an island when the treaty between US and Mexico declaring that both sides hold off on exploring and subsequent pumping of oil until 2011.
But ... now that the moratorium is nearing it's end ... POOF. It's not there! I guess they ... misplaced it, maybe?
Actually, it's still there, according to sources. It's just 120 feet below sea level. but you can't call a "bump" on the gulf floor and island, can ya?
Now, I'm not saying that the CIA or any other security agency did an opp and, low and behold, no more island to mark the boundary of between the US and Mexico's economic zones ...
But ... You know what the shoe salesmen say.
What do you think ... Does it fit a hidden agenda MO?

www.spacedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LatentElement

Sounds like something off of LOST.

Clearly sounds fishy though as it appears Mexico's trying to put it's hand in the cookie jar the same time the U.S. is...

One of the many conspiracies that pop up daily these days....

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Seems to be some disagreement that the island ever existed. Several searches for it were conducted in the 1800's, and no one ever found it.

Wikimaps

Maybe it's the island that is actually the back of a huge sea turtle in the bed time stories my mom read me?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Perhaps the Island was a contrivance of those responsible for the 'agreement'. But to what end? A scam, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Looks like an island that never existed, except in someone's imagination. Or maybe it's in Bill Clinton's Presidential Library, seeing as he signed the treaty mentioning it.

Empty expanse of sea

U.S. Hydrogeographic Office. The Navigation of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, 1885

p. 340 . Bermeja. This island is found on all the old charts in lat. 22º 33' N and long. 91º 22' W., but its existence is more than doubtful. The officers of the Spanish Navy, in their search for the Negrillo, saw nothing of it, neither did another officer who purposely looked for it in 1804. Captain E. Barnett, R.N., also closely examined this neighborhood in 1844 without meeting with anything.

The Colombian Navigator or Sailing Directory for the American Coasts and West Indies, Volume the First, London, 1839.

p. 148. The island Bermeja is placed, as given by Alderete and Valderrama, to the northwards of Arenas; but these officers did not see it, though they sought for it, and thus we are not sure of either of its situation, nor any particular relative to it. Cevallos also sought for it in vain. It seems posible that this and Arenas may be one and the same.

The American Coast Pilot containing directions for the principal harbors capes and headlands of the coasts of North and South America, New York, 1857.

p. vii. Bermeja Island, Gulf of Mexico..... 406

p.406. Island Bermija (sic) does not exist.

Derrotero de las Islas Antillas, de las costas de Tierra Firme y de las del Seno Mexicano, Madrid, 1820.

p. 430. Isla Bermeja. Esta isla, que se pinta en todas las cartas antiguas, es muy dudosa su existencia: los tenientes de navío Don Miguel del Alderete y Don Andrés Valderrama en sus pesquisas en busca del Negrillo no pudieron verla, lo mismo le sucedió al Capitán de Navío Don Ciriaco de Cevallos en Julio de 1804, que la buscó al intento; por lo que creemos que su existencia no es verdadera: sin embargo la colocamos en latitud 22º 33', y longitud 85º 05', al O. del meridiano de Cadiz, hasta que reconocimientos más prolijos y en todos los sentidos decidan si determinadamente existe o no.

The Nautical Magazine, New York, 1846

p28. Isla Bermeja is also very doubtful... It is considered by many that no such shoal exist at the present time

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I don't think that cookie jar is big enough for both hands.
Huge sea turtle? ... Hey, how come everyone else got the GOOD bedtime stories and all I got was "Lights out, kid!" ?

Here's the thing;
Both the Island AND the documents supporting its existence are MIA and no record of how it came to be agreed upon.

Sounds like a scam. The ole "shell game" trick.
Obviously Mexico loses ... But somehow I doubt the US benefits from this .
The oil industry elite are the only ones caring about that line drawn in the water.
Would surprise me a bit in they set the whole thing in motion back in June 2000.
That is, after all, what they do best - Heck with taking a share, they want it all.

top topics

join