It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

67 computers missing from nuclear weapons lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

67 computers missing from nuclear weapons lab

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The Los Alamos nuclear weapons laboratory in New Mexico is missing 67 computers, including 13 that were lost or stolen in the past year. Officials say no classified information has been lost.

The watchdog group Project on Government Oversight on Wednesday released a memo dated Feb. 3 from the Energy Department's National Nuclear Security Administration outlining the loss of the computers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is disturbing, LANL losing computers from a nuclear laboratory? it's a MIRACLE they didn't lose sensitive information! could this maybe be a cover-up?

I am affraid we will see a nuclear strike in the near future.

Even unclassified information can be enough to pinpoint where the good stuff is, the question is; who is they? so called terrorist? the CIA?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I would imagine the government has set up important data in secured system servers...also the data would have "self-destruct" qualities or passwords....

This isn't a civilians pc here, they do take precautions....although I think the fact that they are stolen in the first place is ridiculous...they should be guarded or at least have camera's on them....

ridiculous...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

losing computers from a nuclear laboratory?

A friend works for the navy as a IT/computer repairman and when a laptop goes bad they just junk it for parts.

About 2 years ago the GAO started to look for missing computers and they wanted to see all the junked computers.

He gave them to ser# of all the computer that he had junked for parts and showed them the carcases of the junked ones that were in a bin as scrap.

The GAO report later showed these computer as missing because the investigator never tried to check the bin to see if they were there and just listed them as missing.

Things like this happen all the time with the government.

There is no reason for anyone to steal government computers for secret information when you can plug in a few 8 GB flash drives and down load every thing.

Where i used to carry a brief case for documents, I now can carry on a 8 GB flash drive what would fill a couple large file cabinets.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfAces
I would imagine the government has set up important data in secured system servers...also the data would have "self-destruct" qualities or passwords....

This isn't a civilians pc here, they do take precautions....although I think the fact that they are stolen in the first place is ridiculous...they should be guarded or at least have camera's on them....

ridiculous...

What probably happened is they had been left behind because all data had been removed from them.. So they were probably left behind in a dusty storage room somewhere until someone snagged them. If you've ever seen how the government stores computers you know what I'm talking about............

I've seen computers housed like this (in dark, dungeon-like back rooms stacked like cord-wood). I worked in munitions for the Air Force at the time.. The government usually won't store computers with munitions but if they have to they will in buildings that are housing inert munitions items like bomb fins, tailkits, etc.. Granted, the building did lock up from the outside..But all it would've taken is one person to sign out the key and then steel one..(or even RAM/hard drives). Who knows what was on those computers.. I never really thought about it.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

this is not good,,,

when the collapse of the soviet union,,all sorts of nuke stuff went missing,,,,especially the nuke breif case bombs,,,,

corrupt generals as well,,,!

this is worriesome!

huggs

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Sounds about right. The government can barely keep track of its nukes let alone its PCs. I think the only thing that has saved us from a rouge nuclear bomb is the reality that we will respond with massive force somewhere and more then likely not in the right place.

Most humans do not have the insanity it takes to kill that many people.

top topics

join