It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blockbuster giving away "Gringo" voodoo dolls ahead of soccer match.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Here in Brazil, we call mostly foreigner as gringo and don't matter the color
Its the same like gaidin (japanese)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Deny ignorance indeed.

good day sir, you're obviously not looking at the case objectively. You make assumptions that, much like the OP, segment your particular ethnic group from the remaining US population, and probably were just waiting to use the word 'spic'.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D
Again, the specific color of the doll isn't relevant since any number of factors could have gone into the production.
1) excessive cost of production of multiethnic dolls
2) time of production and available materials
3) popularity of a specific doll with regards to bottom-line profits

If they used BLACK dolls would people here still be calling it racist? Would you call it racist then? I do not call it racist. Only in bad taste.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I would not call it racist. If it were a basketball team, or a football team, and they were black, it would make sense.

As you can see, most of the US National Soccer Team is white.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Hellish-D]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellish-D

Deny ignorance indeed.

Please re-read my post.

I specifically said "deny hypocrisy".

Please do so at your earliest opportunity.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I need to add a little humor to this pointless threat.

It's Called Football, not Soccer!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I read your post fine. I was saying 'deny ignorance' in the sense that it is meant to be the motto of this site. And, in keeping with that motto, I'm denying you.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
What a great idea!
I think I will go home and make some.
You just use and old sock and some rubberbands and a sharpie.
Some folks have ticked me off.

Edited to add:
PS: I was joking.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
***ATTENTION ***

Knock It Off... all of you.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

I think that it all comes down to intent. If there is no malice behind the gringo voodoo dolls, then it was just a bad decision by the public relations department of blockbuster. If they knew that these dolls would be seen as inflammatory, and continued with the distribution of them, then they are certainly culpable. As i said before, all derogatory "racist" terms are nothing but words(most of them silly ones at that), it is the power that people give them that causes problems.

edited to remove off topic anecdotal digression

[edit on 11-2-2009 by g raj]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Stop the bickering, personal references and discuss this topic in a civil manner.

Thank You.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88

This is an amazing example of the double standard involving race in this country and around the world. Here we have a major US corporation giving away voodoo dolls that have a racial term for white people on the back. Does anyone here really beleive they would be ok with the same dolls, but instead of gringo they said "slope"?

I'm not saying that I'm personally insulted by it, because I was taught that sticks and stone might break my bones, but words will never hurt. That being said, its still mind blowing that this is being supported by blockbuster and no attention is being brought by the media. CNN didn't even mention the that the dolls said Gringo on the back (It didn't fit their template).

Even though "Gringo" is popularly thought to apply to "White People", it is in fact a term used towards all Americans. Go ahead and watch "Bad Boys II", and pay close attention to the scene where Will Smith and Martin Lawrence end up near the Mine-field Perimeter at Gitmo. The Cubano calls them: "F****** Gringos".

I know this as well from a few friends of mine who are Cuban, and Central American.

I grew up in an area which for the past 10 years has had a lot of Hispanic folks. Sometimes they would say Gringo and all that, but we never became too offended. We sometimes would just call them names back, like "Choco Taco", "Taco Muncher", or "Chihuahua" lol. You have to learn how to play the game back.

Anyways, yeah, I am against this though, as Blockbuster is essentially allowing and promoting the degradation of their very own home Nation, and its Citizenry.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Let's put it this way, have you ever been called a gringo before then?

...Well?

Also, I fail to see for reasons beyond me (perhaps nonexistent) how this demonstrates the OP projecting his own "prejudices". Everyone is passively racist (which might come as a shock to you), but to the extent that you're assuming the OP is seems pretty retarded.

Do you think the case wouldn't be different if it was any other race represented by the dolls or such? Hardly likely, but if it were, would you still jump on the OP's case?

Honestly, if you're going to make the connection that those who call people on a supposed "double standard" as racist themselves, for excluding blacks, latinos, asians, etc. then couldn't we say the same back to you for not "caring enough" about the plight of another race? It goes on ad infinitum.

Your assumptions are a little bit grand. Quit while you're still ahead.

EDIT to add: Apparently this was just posted 10 min ago, even though I had submitted it much earlier. Weird.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by SpencerJ]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

You're looking at the countries in which they play. You know this soccer thing is pretty big overseas.

Guess it didn't work very well. So sad to think how much the mexicans care and how little we do.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ha.
I guess Mexican voodoo no work so good Señor.

Final score USA 2 Mexico 0

COLUMBUS, Ohio — With his hair cut shorter these days, 21-year-old Michael Bradley looks more like his father, U.S. men's national team coach Bob Bradley, than he did as a teenager.
Wednesday night, he did what his father and coach asked. He and Sacha Kljestan, the USA's central midfield tandem, disrupted the Mexican attack.

And Michael Bradley did much more. Near the end of each half, he found himself with an opportunity and converted. Just as in 2001 and 2005, archrival Mexico left Columbus with a 2-0 defeat.

link

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
2-0
so that will shut them and there voodoo up
as for blockbuster, they are scum as it is. this only reassures my hatred for them already.

very big win in the CONCACAF qualifiers!
a nice little stat here about our local grass ferries.

Fifa.com - Bradley brace stuns Mexico

Mexico have now failed to win on US soil in 11 attempts, a period spanning back to 1999. The USA, for their part, have turned Columbus Crew Stadium into a virtual fortress, and are undefeated at the ground.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm really proud of our boys!!
They played some great D today, and our Keeper made a nice save on Mexico's lone real scoring chance.
It's even better that it's a great win over our Soccer rival.
But best of all, the second goal gave us 3 more points in the standings, a little icing on the cake.
Congrats USA, let's keep rolling on our way to World Cup 2010 in Africa!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88

And where in there does it say it pertains specifically to white people? Also, with regards to it's offensiveness, it is a rather mild offense, most often considered playful.

This is what non-whites say about EVERY slur directed to whites. Be it "redneck", "cracker" or "honky". I always get the same excuse, "its not directed towards just white people" and "its playful". I doubt white people who live in Latin American countries would agree with you that its playful. Many of them live like second class citizens, paying "gringo prices" at markets and generally being treated like dirt.

The fact is, its a derogatory term being endorsed for promotions by a major company. Like I said, the name calling doesn't bother me, the double standard does.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Cio88]

:p It's not for white people. The term is used mostly towards english-speaking people hehe. You can be black and be a gringo. But yeah, it's kinda offensive. I don't use the term unless im explaining to my american friends what a 'gringo-tax' is or when I defend americans from people who are talking crap about them, I'm like, hey shut up, gringos rock! but yeah.. I dont like when my friends call my roommates gringas

i wonder who in blockbuster had the idea, the mexican CEO or someone from the US

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join