It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(AP)Memo: 67 computers missing from Los Alamos lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

(AP)Memo: 67 computers missing from Los Alamos lab

m.apnews.com

By JOAN LOWY
Published: 17 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Los Alamos nuclear weapons lab in New Mexico is missing 67 computers, including 13 that were lost or stolen in the past year, but officials say no classified information has been lost.

The watchdog group Project on Government Oversight on Wednesday released an Energy Department memo to Los Alamos officials outlining the loss of the computers.

Kevin Roark, a spokesman for Los Alamos, confirmed the computers are missing and said the lab is initiating a monthlong inventory process to account for every computer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
There is something really strange going on here. 67 computers is alot to lose track of. This smells very bad to me for many reasons. A few years ago there were reports of disks with classified information on them, and several laptops were stolen as well. The only explanation I can come up with is, either we have some nefarious inside research going on, or there's a spy in our midst and he/she is very good at their job.

m.apnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's not realy strange to me, unnerving though but computing equipment will always fall pray to sticky fingers. A small number of the missing machines may of been taken for the data that might be on them, probably the majority were snatched because they were shiny. Maybe smash and grabs from parked cars. Hopefully if any were kicked by staff they had the sense to whip the hard drive out and destroy it, there by loosing all the data and possibly preventing any sort of e-tracking.

actually I heard of a guy who deliberately put a sort of virus on his laptops... It was stolen and as soon as the machine was hooked up to the net it started key logging and he used the info and the police tracked down the thief, - wonder if Los Alamos lab have something simular, there must be a commercial version of that app, can't be hard to make.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well this certainly does raise questions about the security practices at our nations' most secretive and sensitive laboratory, and a lack of security training by officials at Los Alamos. Remember this isn't the first time this has happened. Things go up missing from the Lab itself quite a bit, it seems.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Looks like something is going on. Sounds to me that they are getting ready to do something very big here. Maybe they are trying to cover their buts ahead of time by making it look like all this stuff is going missing but in reality they are preparing for something disastrous.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I had that inclination at first..But it's more likely that these people are either being spied on by a foreign power, or they are just dumb as bricks with their data and are in need of huge overhauls.

new topics

top topics

join