It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hadron Collider Relaunch Delayed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Hadron Collider Relaunch Delayed

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists had said they expected the £3.6bn ($5.4bn) machine to be repaired by November, but then pushed the date back to June, before the latest delay.
The European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern) said: "The new schedule foresees first beams in the LHC at the end of September this year, with collisions following in late October."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/2/2009 by Cauch1]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Does anyone else think it suspicious that just as the LHC is about to start working again it needs more work, again.
And the number of modifications needed before it comes back online keeps increasing.
And the cost keeps getting greater.
And the news articles keep getting smaller.

I have provided a link to an earlier thread on a previous "malfunction" below if you wish to do some extra reading.

LHC Malfunction

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
IMO they're working with new techonology on a scale that has been rarely seen as far as a science project, so we can exepct alot of delays and recalibrations.

People have to realize that this is ground breaking equipment doing ground breaking research, it's gonna take some time get everything the way it should be.

I'm happy they're not turning it on premature, god knows what that would do.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
First of all sorry I have edited the first few posts so much this is the first time I have done this so I wasn't too sure what to do.

And I know some people will believe me to be overly paranoid for bringing this up ( at time of posting Keeper has already done so) but I for one do not believe that these "mistakes" just keep happening. They spent years building the LHC before its original launch making sure everything was correct. I understand that this is unique technology but a vast amount of time was spent developing this and if it works it could open gates to all sorts of new technological progress and methods of power creation, as well as an increased understanding of our universe.

Well I have said my piece for now I hope I haven't missed anything out and I would like to see what other people think (most will probably say I'm nuts and paranoid but hey).

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This possibly represents the next great leap in human engineering and scientific discovery. Look how many times mankind failed to fly, despite years of previous research into the subject.

Imagine traveling back to the early days of the space program with blueprints for the Space Shuttle. I guarantee you, their first several attempts to build it would lead to a miserable, non-functioning failure.

Fortunately, genius science types have a knack for figuring these things out eventually. :-)

JbT

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
From what I understand they could be basically ready to go right now, as in the parts that were broken on the liquid-helium lines are now fixed. But, they have decided to install warning systems and pressure release valves into the liquid-helium lines so this problem does not happen again on a mass scale.

Here is the quote:

~ www.popsci.com...

..........The collider was first switched on last September and just nine days later, was turned off due to a leak in its liquid-helium plumbing. To make up for missed time, CERN announced it will be running the LHC through the winter. Usually atom-smashers hibernate during the winter, avoiding the peak electricity rates and allowing for maintenance, but the LHC will have only a brief respite: Christmas vacation.

The two month delay in restarting the machine will give engineers time to install warning and protection systems, in hopes of preventing another premature shutdown. The system will include pressure-release valves to stop wide-spread damage should another rupture occur and an early turn-off system that would detect problems and shutdown the machine before major damage could be done.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by JbT]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
as much as i have read about this...it is still unclear to me why billions were spent and 20 years of construction were used to satisfy the curiosity of some scientists. there is risk/reward, profit/loss that cannot be justified for this massive project, as far as the big payoff implies.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

It may be an alien concept to some, but not everything is about how much money you can make!

CERN has a big budget provided by European member states to do cutting edge research, not so that they can come up with a cost-efficient way of manufacturing microwaves....

[edit on 11/2/09 by stumason]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The information revealed by this machine could one day lead to new medical technology, new ways to generate energy, and so-on. In fact, everything that can be improved by science could be improved because of the discoveries this machine is likely to yield.

This machine is the future of science, and by extension is the future of humanity. It's not only worth the financial investment, it's worth the (imagined) "risk" involved with turning it on.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
The information revealed by this machine could one day lead to new medical technology, new ways to generate energy, and so-on. In fact, everything that can be improved by science could be improved because of the discoveries this machine is likely to yield.

This machine is the future of science, and by extension is the future of humanity. It's not only worth the financial investment, it's worth the (imagined) "risk" involved with turning it on.

This is my point the new discoveries this machine could lead to are immense. Who knows we may even develop a way to get to other planets apart from Mars without the astronauts dying from old age. New energy production methods are one of the most likely developments extremely useful in a world where people wail about the use of fossil fuels and at the same time are scared of the thought of nuclear power. But they keep bringing in new adjustments that weren't involved in the original which they spent 20 years perfecting and all these adjustments put it yet more months behind schedule. At this rate I'll be surprised if it starts and is given time to build up to speed without being shut-down this year.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
Does anyone else think it suspicious that just as the LHC is about to start working again it needs more work, again.
And the number of modifications needed before it comes back online keeps increasing.
And the cost keeps getting greater.
And the news articles keep getting smaller.

I have provided a link to an earlier thread on a previous "malfunction" below if you wish to do some extra reading.

LHC Malfunction

your on the money,electronic interference is a common tactic of the ais,challenger disaster,chernobyl,numerous free energy experiments that are interfeared with....tesla's tower.....the list is endless.

they will do anything to stop time travel being proved as it will necessitate the question,"if we can time travel cant our future time travel...where are they"? ;-)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Everyone who seems to think this machine will throw us into a sci fi world has their head in the clouds lets be realistic here other particle colliders like the Tevetron have been running for over a decade and what did we get from them?

This whole it's worth the risk outlook being pushed is the equivalent of saying if you jump of a building you may land in a pile of money ok not exactly the same but you get the metaphor.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a few new particles discovered but honestly to suddenly make claims like it's going to take us to space and completely insanely it will give us medicinal advances surely you can't really believe that.

The fact is no matter how much you don't like it it's only a particle collier not the holy grail of everything and it's just as likely we won't benefit from it in anyway or it won't discover anything that major and they make a bigger one.

I see this thing as mad science honestly I hope it benefits us and doesn't kill us but I don't believe for a second it's going to suddenly cure all our problems if anything it will create new ones.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
Everyone who seems to think this machine will throw us into a sci fi world has their head in the clouds....
...to suddenly make claims like it's going to take us to space and completely insanely it will give us medicinal advances surely you can't really believe that.

I am not saying that it will take us into a sci-fi world or that it will allow time travel as welivefortheson believes. However I believe that it could radically advance our methods of power production/creation which in turn would allow us to build better engines for space craft allowing them to go further and faster. And who knows what new materials/substances they could find on other planets. So know it isn't going to usher in an age of flying cars and laser guns but it could quite realistically help us advance our technology at a rate far beyond that which we would accomplish otherwise.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Here are a two more articles on the delay.

TextThe organization attributed the delay to the installation of a new protection system for the giant magnets that help push charged particles through the collider to high speeds and energies...

cbc.ca
What may I ask was wrong with the old protection system that they spent decades developing.

Oh and here is my favourite.

TextCERN's new German director signalled in an interview late January that he would be more cautious than his French predecessor, with the relaunch having been repeatedly put back since the vast scientific experiment was launched amid worldwide fanfare last year.........Heuer has said that he does not want to push for a full energy beam until 2010 at the earliest

physorg.com
Until 2010 he says. By which time yet more "problems" will have cropped up delaying it by a few more years. And all the while the news reports will get smaller and fewer, until almost everyone forgets about it. I think its dodgy the way that keep changing their minds about what needs doing and how long it will take.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
IMO they're working with new techonology on a scale that has been rarely seen as far as a science project, so we can exepct alot of delays and recalibrations.

People have to realize that this is ground breaking equipment doing ground breaking research, it's gonna take some time get everything the way it should be.

I'm happy they're not turning it on premature, god knows what that would do.

~Keeper

Creating a blackhole is pretty damn straighforward. Nothing very special, it's simply concentrating massive amounts of energy in a stupendously small volume of space... To create unimaginable energy densities and since energy > mass is interchangeable, you got yourself a BH!

It's the "something else" you can possibly do with it and sadly, we'll never know about that.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
Creating a blackhole is pretty damn straighforward. Nothing very special, it's simply concentrating massive amounts of energy in a stupendously small volume of space... To create unimaginable energy densities and since energy > mass is interchangeable, you got yourself a BH!

It's the "something else" you can possibly do with it and sadly, we'll never know about that.

Great someone else blinded by the fear-mongering of a few nutters. If they had wished to create a black hole and kill us all it would have been over and done with a lot quicker than what this is taking.

top topics

join