It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Black Men in Charlottesville NC Are Suspects. Racism or Not?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I think its ok to check them all out ifthe only info on the suspect is he is a black male... i feel what the black community may be concerned about is having their DNA samples on record even though they were innocent... it has to be some form of privacy invasion... if the suspect list was narrowed down to 'black male in early 20's' say, then i feel it wouldnt be so bad to have everyone in that criteria tested... but to test the whole black male community (where possible) i feel is a point that will (and obviously has) cause problems

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This stopping and swabbing is actually a good way to catch any rapist no matter colour of skin if the victim is unable to give an acurate descrpition of the assailant what if he was wearing a mask then how else are the authorities going to catch the person? O.K stopping every person and swabbing them is a stupid idea it will take forever.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
This stopping and swabbing is actually a good way to catch any rapist no matter colour of skin if the victim is unable to give an acurate descrpition of the assailant what if he was wearing a mask then how else are the authorities going to catch the person? O.K stopping every person and swabbing them is a stupid idea it will take forever

At a news conference Monday, Chief Timothy J. Longo announced a new composite sketch based on the recollection of the rapist�s most recent known victim, a former UVa student attacked in an apartment on Jefferson Park Avenue in April.
Longo said she got a �really good look at him� � a potential windfall in a case dominated by widely varying descriptions. He has been linked forensically to six attacks since February 1997.
The chief suggested the rapist may be �enjoying the chase,� and said he and the rest of his department are taking the rapist�s attacks personally. He added that the rapist should feel �pressured� that a composite with an accuracy rating of 7 on a scale of 10 is in circulation.

The Willoughby victim said the rapist conversed with her, asking about her children and whether her family had remodeled the floors.

Another thing the victim in the Willoughby attack noticed about the rapist is that he seemed to be �talking himself through� the ordeal. �Now we�re going to do this. Now we�re going to do that,� she said, imitating his manner of speech.

See previous page for rest of post.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbatesMy question is why is this considered racial profiling.

I'm not sure it falls under "racial profiling" or not, but it does fall under "fugged up."

If the description of the suspect was that it was a white male, do you honestly think the police would be demanding DNA from all white males?

Hell no.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelPlus, EVERYBODY knows that black men don't get involved in simple kidnapping.

LOL

No, most black criminals just stick to simple black-on-black, drug and gun related crimes.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
And peopel wonder why I refuse to travel to the south but for Orlando and further down.

lol, yeah me too.----- I think it is racist because they didnt go on height, eye color or weight. If it was backwards you might think it's racist too. The whole thing was just stupid.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I would just like to add a correction that this is in Charlottesville, Virginia, not North Carolina. I live somewhat close to Charlottesville and the cities female population is in fear, especially to college students. I think that what ever action is neccesary to catch him need to be taken. -Muzz

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzz
I would just like to add a correction that this is in Charlottesville, Virginia, not North Carolina. I live somewhat close to Charlottesville and the cities female population is in fear, especially to college students. I think that what ever action is neccesary to catch him need to be taken. -Muzz

Being a girl myself, I can sympathize with women in the area who are afraid of being attacked. I do not, however, believe that justifies cataloging almost 700 black men's DNA. Especially when they have a witness who got a �really good look at him� and a composite sketch that rates 7 out of a possible 10 for accuracy. There are far too many ways for our personal privacy and information to be abused and misused when DNA enters into the equation. It's one thing to use DNA to clear a suspect who AT LEAST fits the physical profile of the attacker. It's another thing entirely to collect DNA without any reasonable cause. That was the whole point of the Fourth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So, I wonder what is happening to all the DNA samples? Does anyone think that the police takes the sample, compares it to the evidence DNA, and then tosses it out if it doesn't match? I'm guessing the DNA database is getting new members as we speak.

Also, perhaps I missed this, but if the police pull a black man over for speeding and request to take this guy's DNA sample, what happens if he refuses?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Very good question. Witrh all the paranoids in ATS, I wonder how ANYONE would feel if that very question asked of them by law enfrocement...but its ok for Charlotte to do it, its only black people.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Perhaps we can get an ATS campaign to bombard the Charlottesville police with emails telling them that they are unjust and out of line.

That would not only be fun, but it would really shake the cage up a bit.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I never understood the logic against racial profiling.

If the suspect had brown hair, nobody gets in a fit when brunettes are questioned.

If he was 300 lbs, nobody gets upset when 300 lbs men are questioned.

But God forbid that you question black men if the suspect was black

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here you go boys, fire away.

Chief Tim Longo
Chief of Police
[email protected]

Detective Joe Brown
Crime Prevention
[email protected]

Detective T.V. McKean
Crime Statistics
[email protected]

Sgt. Ronnie Roberts
Traffic Unit
[email protected]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
As much as I disagree with racial profiling, I will continue to support the Charlottesville Police Departments efforts to aprehend the serial rapist. This has gone on for too long and I agree that it's never a problem when brunettes or 300lb persons are questioned in connection with a crime, so why throw a fight for the black suspects. -Muzz

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzz
As much as I disagree with racial profiling, I will continue to support the Charlottesville Police Departments efforts to aprehend the serial rapist. This has gone on for too long and I agree that it's never a problem when brunettes or 300lb persons are questioned in connection with a crime, so why throw a fight for the black suspects. -Muzz

Uh, maybe because they have far more information on the guy then just that he is black. If you read my previous posts then you know they have a pretty precise description of what this guy looks like, so they have no excuse for testing men who do not fit the profile. Also, this is FAR more than mere questioning. They are cataloging their DNA! The part of us that can tell about every single aspect of our make-up and that of our entire bloodline!

If they knew that a suspect was a 300lb. brunette with green eyes and freckles, would it still be ok to test men who were 240lb. brunettes with blue eyes and no freckles? What about all 300lb men regardless of hair or eye color or freckles? Would you be willing to contribute your dna to a database, without any reasonable cause? That, in essence is what they are doing.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Like I said before, its ok to infringe on and violate people's rights when the suspect is black. They are getting the DNA samples and now they are learning urban warfare in Iraq to be used in our inner cities. Just a matter of tiime.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join