It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: British Doctor Who Launched Vaccine-Autism Scare Falsified Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Report: British Doctor Who Launched Vaccine-Autism Scare Falsified Data

www.dailytech.com

According to extensive investigative reporting by Sunday Times of London, a British newspaper, Dr. Wakefield falsified data and lied to make his case in his 1998 Lancet journal paper.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
latimesblogs.latimes.com

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Why do cases like this becmoe more and more common?

However, the Sunday Times of London found a far different story. Investigative reporter Brian Deer, who has been covering the story since its start, found that hospital and other records showed signs that the children were already developing autism before they had received any injection.

All this grief over autism and the MMR vaccination has caused measurable harm to new children not vaccinated, not to mention the knock on effect to other vaccines leaving children without protection against some really debilitating diseases. They should charge this guy with grievous bodily harm at the very least.

According to Mr. Deer, the physicians working under Dr. Wakefield were unable to find signs of inflammatory bowel disease in many of the children, but Dr. Wakefield ordered his team to falsify the data to indicate they had. Furthermore, one of the children deemed to have the condition was taken by a parent to three other labs which were unable to find signs of the illness.

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Because of this our son was not going to get vaccinations for his son, but we made him get them. Our son is 29, but he does still listen to us and I'm really thankful for this. I feel sorry for any children that died from this. What a mess this world is in.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What about all the other doctors and nutritionists who show data indicating a link between autism and vaccines containing various forms of mercury?

This one doctor may (or may not) have 'falsified' information, but ALL of them?

Me thinks this is a typical media ploy.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Vaccines are still not healthy and should be avoided if possible, IMO. As the above poster said, there is still a lot of anecdotal evidence showing that they can incraese autism and other disorders. Besides that they wreck havoc on collective immune systems.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
From the other related article (LA times)

In the fallout from Wakefield's original paper, vaccination rates in the country have fallen from 92% to below 80%. As a consequence, 1,348 cases of measles were reported in England and Wales in 2008, compared with only 56 in 1998. Two children died of the disease.

If it was my child that died of measles I would feel pretty conflicted right now knowing that the paper that started the MMR vaccine scare was falsified.

Life before vaccines was very different. Assuming that today's health would continue without vaccines would be naive in the extreme.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wakefield is an egomaniacal idiot who doesn't deserve to inflict his care on anyone. He understands neither medicne nor science. The age at which autism is able to be diagnosed is about one year, which is when children receive innoculations. Merthiolate is no longer used as a preservative so even unfounded fears should be alleviated. This is the same red compound that was used to treat childhood scratches and cuts for many years.
This is a hoax that is harming children and will bring more suffering and disease to the world than any possibe side effects.

Get your children immunized.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There are a lot of myths about Autism. That vaccinations cause Autism is one of the biggest ones. People claim that it is the mercury in the vaccinations, despite the fact that mercury is generally not present in most vaccinations. They stopped using it long ago yet the number of Autism cases increased after its use was ended. There is to date, no credible study that suggests Autism is caused by vaccinations yet people still believe the myth.

There is far more mercury in food that people eat all the time, than there is in vaccinations. I posted a thread here about the mercury common in High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Mercury in your food and the FDA knew all about it!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
And yet, is it not true that the federal government acknowledged a link between vaccinations and autism? Or was that a hoax?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If a child has a specific form of mitochondrial disease, the mercury in vaccines is thought to sometimes speed up or bring on an autism-like syndrome. That was what was found in the famous "Hannah Poling" case. Her father, BTW, has stated publicly that he thinks most children should receive vaccines (he's an epidemiologist, I think).

So maybe they should be focusing more attention on checking to see if kids have this susceptibility before they vaccinate them, but no it has not been linked to autism itself in previously healthy children.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Thank you! I suspected that had this 'connection' been cut and dry those decrying the vaccinations programs would have relied upon it more forcefully.

I am beginning to see the 'red' in this herring!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't think anything about the vaccination issue is cut-and-dry

Which is one reason that this doctor should be drawn and quartered for falsifying data. I think there is an urgent need to reassess our enthusiasm (the medical establishment's enthusiasm I guess) for vaccination.

We need to think carefully about costs and benefits, and how we're going to determine if and when vaccination is appropriate.

Spuriously linking vaccination with a disease so emotionally laden as autism virtually guaranteed the polarization of the debate. It is very hard now to look objectively at questions like whether we're not overvaccinating against flu, because any questioning of vaccination programs is met with extreme defensiveness by the establishment, and any suggestion that vaccination is sometimes a good thing is met with accusations of spreading autism by opponents

The whole fiasco should have been avoided.

EDIT to say that when I say "costs and benefits" I am not talking about the financials, which is a major factor currently used to determine whether a vaccination is worthwhile

[edit on 2/11/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Testify!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

What can I say? When I believe something, I believe it

*packs up soapbox and slinks off*

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Vaccine Court's release of its opinion on Darwin's 200th birthday was fortuitous, seeing as the vaccine-autism faithful have a good deal in common with religious fundamentalists. They are so invested in their ideas that they ignore or attack any evidence to the contrary, and treat gaps in the opposing evidence as further proof in their favor.

The obscenity of the "anti-vax" movement is stupefying-- a campaign to reinstitute open sewers or ban refrigeration could scarcely threaten greater violence to the public health.

I have much more to say on this topic here.

new topics

top topics

join